wheel bearings

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

wheel bearings

Post by eric4321 »

Well it is time to relpace the front wheel bearings on my 93 Cab. I have read the write up in neo bentlley but have a few questinons. I plan on buying the harbor freight threaded rod tool so I don't need to remove the knuckle. Should I grease the outside of the bearing to help it press in? Also is it worth the $ to buy the more expensive bearings or not. Also are the circlips a standard size? Napa wants almost $90 for the "kit" but I can get the drive axle nuts and package of circlips for much less than that.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: wheel bearings

Post by Briano1234 »

I bought these 2 kits, one was a front wheel bearing tool,, the other was a bearing separator, that you have to use to get the inner race off the hub.

To pull the hub off I bought some all thread that fits the lug bolt holes about a foot long and welded 2 nuts over the ends, and use it to pull the hub out.
m12-150
Harbor Freight kits:
http://www.harborfreight.com/fwd-fro...ers-66829.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/bearing...set-93980.html

You can take the strut off the car by removing the 2 13mm nuts that hold the strut to the tower, then the tie-rod, followed by the lower ball joint, and you don't really effect the alignment.

Grease the bolt well.

For the kits, I bought off of germanautoparts 29 bucks.
http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswag ... rain/242/1

I also have a local place called Baker Imports duluth/marietta that sells right from the worldpak dist center and got the kit for about 30 bucks there too.

Clean the inside of the spindle to remove the grease and rust.
Clean and sand the hub.
Lightly grease the inner of the spindle and the outer of the hub.

When you take your clips off don't destroy them. Make sure that they match up to the new. I have read threads where folks say the new clips were too large and bound the assembly. I think the clips were for the 90mm axles.

In reality, you need only the bearing and a nut. The clips you can re-use.

PSSSt look in the back of car and driver or road and track, they usually have the 25 percent off one item coupons.
I got a flyer in the mail after joining the mailing list, and it too has a 25 percent off.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I forgot to add that the press kit collars and bushings are perfect for Motor Mounts. (along with a 6 ton press).
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by eric4321 »

Brian thanks for the reply. I would like to get the kit from German auto, but can't chance shipping now. My goal is to make it to BAP next week. Every year I always end up down to the wire to make it. I always end up needing to fix somthing. Is anyone from TRF going to come this year?
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

eric4321 wrote:Brian thanks for the reply. I would like to get the kit from German auto, but can't chance shipping now. My goal is to make it to BAP next week. Every year I always end up down to the wire to make it. I always end up needing to fix somthing. Is anyone from TRF going to come this year?
Not I.

Just get the bearing... re-use the nut. If torqued it won't come loose.
Besides if you are doing front end work, then you wouldn't replace it with new anyway.
Briano