Relaying my headlights... Loom done!

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

fredges
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Relaying my headlights... Loom done!

Post by fredges »

Got my loom ready to go and will put it in tomorrow when I have daylight!
Here's hoping I did it right!! :D

Oh.... So what kind of headlights should I get now? I want brighter than stock but not too fancy...
1987 VW Cabriolet - stock, auto
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Relaying my headlights... Loom done!

Post by Briano1234 »

Tape is fine, but I only see half the loom. and I hope you soldered your connections.

Silverstar Ultras.......
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
fredges

Post by fredges »

I crimped and taped. And I think this is the whole loom...? My relays have only one "87" terminal, and the instructions say to combine the two leads if you don't have two "87" terminals... The "87a" terminals can't be used.

I think it all runs off the left (driver's) side original headlight socket...no? Instructions said to tape off the right side headlight socket...

**edit: oh! This is for single rounds, briano... Maybe that's why it looks incomplete?

***Edit: Just popped the loom in for testing and it works like a charm! And WOW does it make a difference! Even with the engine off my headlights look to be about 70% brighter already! Awesome. I love anything that increases the safety of my cabby!
fredges

Post by fredges »

Hey briano, I'm looking up those silverstar ultras, and it seems they are the type that have a separate lamp and housing, yes? Can I get the whole assembly or do I need to buy separately? Also, where can I get a good price on them? Thanks!!!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-0 ... volkswagen X2 plus
http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-SilverSt ... B0012ETJ1O

Or just go with the silverstars, it appears that the ultra isn't in a single bulb package yet.

It states that it is 50 percent brighter than halogen,
Where as the silverstar is 35 percent brighter.

The reason that I said the glass lens is that it take more of a beating than plastic, and the ultra bulb shouldn't distort the lens.
I had a set of the Plastic lens reflectors, and they did start to "yellow" after a while, whereas glass won't do that at all.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: