Seat Belt Retractors.

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Seat Belt Retractors.

Post by Briano1234 »

Well I decided that I was a little tired of the slow retract on my cabby.
I decided to take the Passenger side out and see if I could speed it up a tad.

Well getting it out wasn't a problem, getting the old belt off wasn't the issue as you have to totally unspool it.
Pryed up the keeper, and then dropped the dang thing it dropped on the spring side the cover flew off and 37 feet of spring steel shot out at the speed of light.....So I re-wound the spring, and damned if I didn't wind it backwards, so need less to say I effed it pretty good.....

So get thee to a wrecking yard. A 96 Jetta rear seat belt was there so I grabbed it.
Got it home and as it sits canted in the Jetta rear I had to remove the trigger side. There is a little check ball in a plastic cup that is angled where as the Cabby one is straight up and down.
It pry's out and allowed me to replaced the canted with the straight up and down.

Still on the trigger side there was a Geared outer ratcheting mechanism, that I took off (two white gears) and a cover. I un-spooled the belt and then kept tightening the thing until I couldn't tighten it any more locked a small pair of channel locks on it to hold it tight... Took the Cabby Belt and fed it through and placed the keeper on it.

It is still a tad slow but it will fully retract, and I am hoping that with use it will get faster.... but it is a good thing to know that the retractors from a Jetta rear seat (front one had a piston thing) will work just fine.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: