What about tires?

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

GreenCabbie
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

What about tires?

Post by GreenCabbie »

:?:

I need new tires for my 1993 vw cab and wonder what others have experienced as a good value tire?

I live in Colorado so mountains, snow, are to be considered. I see Michelin would break my bank but the others from Toyo, General, Contiental (Sp?), Big O , etc have lower cost tires.

Highway driving around Denver can mean 85 mph speeds so they need to keep up. I also would hope I could get a set that has a smooth cushion ride if possible.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

GreenCabbie
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Re: What about tires?

Post by Calimus »

Anything in the all season category from Toyo, General, Khumo and a few others will do well on the highway and such. What you do need to be mindful of is the snow driving. If you plan to park the cabby for the majority of winter, then all season tires should be fine. If you plan on driving in heavy snows, then you might want to look at some dedicated snow tires during winter. I hear blizzak's are pretty much what everyone likes for that.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:Anything in the all season category from Toyo, General, Khumo and a few others will do well on the highway and such. What you do need to be mindful of is the snow driving. If you plan to park the cabby for the majority of winter, then all season tires should be fine. If you plan on driving in heavy snows, then you might want to look at some dedicated snow tires during winter. I hear blizzak's are pretty much what everyone likes for that.
Don't do Directional.....

and the snow tires go on front. :)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Calimus wrote:Anything in the all season category from Toyo, General, Khumo and a few others will do well on the highway and such. What you do need to be mindful of is the snow driving. If you plan to park the cabby for the majority of winter, then all season tires should be fine. If you plan on driving in heavy snows, then you might want to look at some dedicated snow tires during winter. I hear blizzak's are pretty much what everyone likes for that.
That is sound advice. If you are driving through the winter, modern winter tires are the way to go. They need to be installed on all four wheels. But summer driving will reduce the effectiveness of the tire. So you need to consider having two sets of wheels/tires. One set for winter and one for the rest of the year.

One thing I have learned over the years is "All Season" tires are really only 3 season tires (spring, summer, and fall).

I believe winter driving conditions here are similar to Colrado, I have used all seasons year round, but I sure noticed a big difference when I bought winter tires.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image