Tale of a tire shop.

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Tale of a tire shop.

Post by Briano1234 »

Tale of two tire shops.

A while back I was visiting my brother in Illinois (Central near Taylorville) and he had to have a couple
of tires mounted on his 79 Corvette.

So I go with him as we can bs a bit on the road.

We arrived at the shop in Taylorville, (an independent on 29 near the KFC, Larry's Service Center).

They took the tires off, then I watched as they prepped the rims.

For every tire I saw them mount, they took a wire brush on a drill to the inside of the rim
to clean the inner rim where the bead seats, even if the rim looked good and clean.

Prior to installing the tire on the rim, they used a sealant on the rim, I didn't see the brand
name but it was a sealant and not a lube.

When I asked Larry why the extra step, he said "Because I don't have any returns for leaking beads, and the only
2 places that it can leak then is the tire or the Valve Stem. If the rim is dinked, we know it right straight away.".

Further watching I noticed that they replaced the valve stem with the same that came off, long for long or short for short.
I even saw that if it looked too short, they used a long. I don't know how many times I had to tell my shops long stems, or correct them
prior to installing the tire.

So I go home and have to watch as the local chains don't do this "added value" to my tires, and if it wasn't
for the 11 hour ride, I would be going to Larry's to get-er-done.

Larry's was a busy shop.....I wonder why?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Tale of a tire shop.

Post by CalAltaDubber »

There is something to be said for good service like that. No wonder he is a busy shop.

Look at the good will he has created with you, and you weren't even a customer.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image