Barn Find on the road again!

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

randy1234
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Barn Find on the road again!

Post by randy1234 »

Thanks Phil,

This is fantastic news- -the 4-100 size. I was thinking that I would have to search the world over, or purchase customs. I think the cars look Really nice with them!

By the way- -I currently have whitewall 13's :) with stock vw steel rims. :D

Thanks again

Randy
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

While they may be 4X100, you have to make sure that the center is the proper bore also as some Japanese cars have a different center hub bore.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Briano1234 wrote:While they may be 4X100, you have to make sure that the center is the proper bore also as some Japanese cars have a different center hub bore.
True, the VW centre is larger I believe.

For aftermarket alloy wheels, there is usually a set of spacers to centre the hub. They are available at your local tuner shop.

Oh ya, I should mention, I found those BBS wheels for $150. and I wasn't even trying. so they are available. You can probably find them on Kijiji or Craig's List.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Autonut
What year is your cabby?: 1980

Post by Autonut »

I have been using the raggit to drive back and forth to work and it has been running awesome. I have noticed little puffs of smoke every now and then from the exhaust. Well, we took it for a longer drive and went down the highway yesterday to Kingston, Ontario about 60 miles from home. Average speed between 65-70 MPH there and back. Now, I have noticed that it is smoking out the tail pipe constantly. It still runs great, got 30 MPG but the smoke is awful. What happened? I was thinking that people where looking at the car, but now I thinking that their looking at the smoke. When I had the oil changed they put in 10W30. Should I change the oil and have a heavier grade of oil put in?
1980 Volkswagen Rabbit Convertible - Play Toy - AKA " The Raggit "
2011 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 4X4 - Work Horse
2008 Pontiac G5 SE - Grocery Getter
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Sounds like you have been converted to cabbydom :D .

As for the smoke issue, well that depends on the colour of smoke.

If the smoke is black, it sounds like you are just blowing out carbon. You might need to adjust the timing. A bottle of fuel injector cleaner with your next fuel up, wouldn't be a bad idea.

If the smoke is white, it becomes a little more serious.

If the smoke has a blue tinge to it, you are burning oil. You should smell the burnt oil in this case too.

10W 30 should be fine for now. But most of us run 20W 50. Where you live, that should be good year round.

Out west, where we see -40 temps in the winter, a lighter oil is required in the winter.

Hope that helps.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image