buying cars with no title

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Steve E J
What year is your cabby?: 1988
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

buying cars with no title

Post by Steve E J »

Hey guys, it's been a while since I have been on here but bear with me.

So I put an ad on Craigslist for parts car wanted for my vw cabriolet. A guy responded and has a more or less stripped rabbit with an engine and a cabby with no engine.

I was originally thinking about just buying the parts off of him that I needed but then I considered just buying both cars and fixing my current "daisy" cabby and the new cabby. They have some rust and the inside of the cabby is filled with mouse crap. I could probably get them both for around $500.
Neither of them have titles. I am going to try and get the vin numbers and see if they have been stolen and if not I could get a new title for the cabby that I would fix.
If worse comes to worse I could probably part them out and chop up and recycle the rest.

What do you guys think? Should I bite? Or just get the parts I need for Daisy and be done with it?
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: buying cars with no title

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I think it is a good idea to check the VINs before you buy the cars. Just to be safe.

As far as buying the two of them, well if you have the space to store them. Go for it.

Like you pointed out, you will either end up with lots of parts or two cabbys.

Just realize, unless you are working full time on a project car, it will take three, four or even five years to complete. Trust me, my project car Posh Bunny took a full four years to become driveable and another year to finish (OK, does anyone ever truly finish a project car?).

The rewards of building a project are the satisfaction that you did it, you know the car and it seems to shine a little more because it's your pride that shines. But there are also a couple of downsides, mostly the garage is full of stuff, and you can't use it for anything else. Neibours complaining about the "eye sore" on your driveway that sort of thing.

I guess, what I am trying to say is: make a plan before you proceed, especially if you decide to bring the cabby back to life.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Yea, have them checked for being stolen. If you plan on putting one of them back on the road, check with your local tag Dept and see what it takes to get a title re-issued. Some states require just a bill of sale, others require a ton of paper work and inspections. May or may not be worth it to you.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Steve E J
What year is your cabby?: 1988

Post by Steve E J »

Thanks guys for the input..

The guy totally blew me off and didn't want to give me the vin numbers, so I'm just going to get parts that I need.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

When I scrapped a 89, I bought from impound, I had to go get a title for it before they would take it at the scrappers.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: