my parts have arrived....WOOT!

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

NyceKarr
What year is your cabby?: 1988
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

my parts have arrived....WOOT!

Post by NyceKarr »

took em long enough but they came....nothing to special, just tune up items. but still amped to get it done. changed my fluids, filter, plugs wires, redone the rear brakes including wheel cylinders. bout to do the front pads today.... the brakes are still real squishy so ill probably bleed them again. got the alternator done a couple of weeks ago, and found my drain problem on the battery. so ill be rewiring my stereo. im still debating if i should do my own front hub or have it done professionally.
see the previous owners had for some reason replaced the two front wheels with rims that didnt fit. i mean 4x100 yes but the center was to small. so whomever installed them use the lugs as press. so you can imagine what that was like. now im only riding on two lugs. the other two threads are flat inside. now i thought maybe a tap or re-threader..... id rather just replace the hub. what do you think? should i maybe grab a hub and swap it when i do my front pads....??? how hard is it to get the seal and bearings out- and vice versa?
i was also able to find a cabby at the u-pull.... got me some window gaskets, window cranks, basically anything left that was still good. broke my heart to see her that way though. mainly i got the vacuum line from the brake booster to the intake (broke that during the vavle cover gasket exchange) oops :banghead: i think im almost there. just a lil bit more work and Karmann will be a daily driver and reliable.

and by the way i cant say it enough to all you that chimed in THANK YOU. i really do appreciate it! :thumbup: :beer: :!:
pics to come. just have to sort em out a bit.
Chucknyce

'88 Cabriolet
'05 Golf TDi
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: my parts have arrived....WOOT!

Post by Briano1234 »

Replace the hubs and bearings, if you have a shop press no worries, otherwise have a shop do it.

If the wreckers are good, then take the knuckles assemblies off, and have new bearing pressed in. You just have to watch out for the 100/90mm axles.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: