16 valve engine

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

16 valve engine

Post by eric4321 »

I was at the junk yard the other day and came across a 90 Passat with a 16 valve engine. I did not get to look to closely at it. I am wondering if that would bolt into an A1 car or not. I am going to grab the power window switches off it (thanks Brian). Are their any other parts on that car that could be used on a Cabby or an A1?
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: 16 valve engine

Post by Briano1234 »

Sure there are a ton of parts that will work, and a ton more that won't. :)

I think that the 16V will fit with some slight modifications and a electrical ECU or 3....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

90 Passat used a 2.0L 16v. It will bolt right into a cabriolet and even right to your trans. What needs to be changed, is that you have to either make the switch to CIS-E, Motronic or DIGI-I or II. You will also need to change out the exhaust system and possibly the throttle cable.

On the trans side however, if manual, you will need to get the 16v pressure plate. On an automatic, I don't know what if anything would need to be changed.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

the mounts on the passat are different, but if you use the mounts from your cabby you'll be golden. the passat is CE2 so you will need to grab the ecu and all the engine bay wiring
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Almost forgot about the mounts. Socal is right, you will need to use the stock mounts from the cabby with one exception. The pass side mount, really needs to be the one for a 16v. Tectonics Tuning sells the mount already pressed into the bracket for $75 last time I got one. It's worth the money. :thumbup:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

Thanks for all the info on the 16 valve. I was thinking of droping it in my 81 Rabbit but at this point it is not what I want to do. At the same yard I found an 8 valve engine I will pick up this weekend. My Cabby is.not practical for me to put all my stuff for my big truck in(I have to get a different truck each week) and my Suburban is killing me on gas. I will document my progress replacing the engine in my 81. Now I am going to need to buy an engine hoist and a few odds and ends but I am happy that things for this car are coming together.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)