Stinky Bunny v.1.6d

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

GREENGOLF
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Stinky Bunny v.1.6d

Post by GREENGOLF »

OK, the build started last week. The wife had 3 wisdom teeth pulled and we both came down with some sorta creeping crud and lost a day.We picked up a better top last week as well, I drove 600 miles for Stinky, she damned well better appreciate what I'm doing for her. I know some of you are following the wife's thread on teh Tex, I like this forum bettererer. Stinky came to us on a whim, I saw an ad on Craigslist for a 1987 Cabriolet for $500. I figured she was toast with 350,000 miles on the clock, not true, she's not in bad shape, but she needs some lovin'. The previous owner saved EVERY, I mean EVERY receipt for this car to the tune of $14,800 in receipts, lol.

The plan is to drop in a normally aspirated diesel with an upgrade to a jacked up AHU in the not to distant future. The obligatory pics:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Stinky Bunny v.1.6d

Post by Briano1234 »

Bot a worry, I speak VW diesel..........
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

I spy with my little eye, a scirocco in that first pic. More info on the rocco please.

An awesome info on Stinky. Sounds like you should have a real nice fuel sippin' cruiser when your finished. I'll definitely be following this thread.

An Brian speaks oil-burner very well. :thumbup:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

Calimus wrote:I spy with my little eye, a scirocco in that first pic. More info on the rocco please.

You mean Teh Nazi Bitch? It's going down the road here directly. 1988 16v with a COMPLETE ABA swap. $1500 for the whole shooting match. It's another one of those VW's that has a SERIOUS case of previous owner syndrome. It's a shame because the car corners like it's on rails.

OK, we finished up stealing the rocco's suspension, Stinky now has FK coilovers. M's still feeling like dog poo so we're taking a break for lunch. We're in the process of working on swapping on the new top we got.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Damn, wish I could rescue the rocco. As it is, we have two already. An with the cabby and the turbo S beetle, I have my hands, garage and driveway full of more then my fair share of repair work. My jetta is still in limbo. Hope to hear a go/no go on repairs or not on Monday.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

We both still feel like boiled ass from this virus, got the new top fitted, have to get the tensioner cable made tomorrow. I'm also going to swap in the manual rack from the donor car and I think the 1.6 needs to have the timing set. It shakes like mad.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Damn good progress for being sick. I've been down since Friday and had to call out of work today (which I hate doing). I still have a head full of snot, though I'll grant it's not as full as it was this weekend.

However, I have been utterly useless. So props to you both for working through the cold.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

Sounds like you got the same crap we got, it's been a joy drowning in boogers, NOT!!! If you've never done saline rinses, it's time to learn. www.neilmed.com is where I get my supplies from. Once the salt packets are gone, go to the store and get sea salt, preferably organic so it doesn't have anything but salt in it. 1/2 tsp per 8 oz of water. I started doing them 4 years ago after I had my nose fixed and I swear by them. Colds only last a few days instead of a week.

OK we're starting the swap in earnest today, got the coolant draining and we've been pulling a good bit of the wiring out of Stinky. We're gonna get screwed tomorrow with rain in the forecast, but we both have a 3 day weekend so we should be able to kick a good part of this swap. I've got new heater hoses coming in tomorrow.
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

The engine should come out this afternoon, we're getting close. Pisses me off that we can't use the donor tank, but the Cabby tank is biggerer so that means MOAR distance between fill ups, w00t!! Fuel lines are on the wrong side too, GRRR!!!
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

The Nor'easter put the smack down on the swap, we'll be back at it tomorrow full tilt. The harness is pulled into the cabin. The engine is just hanging by the mounts that are loose. Does anyone know where to find out how to hook up a tach on the 1.6d? I was going to try to use the Cabby's tach.

I keep forgetting to put this link in for those with a lighting fetish, lol.

http://www.cibieusa.com/index.htm
gull

Post by gull »

You need a converter of some kind to use a gas tach -- the diesel tach uses the signal off the W terminal of the alternator, which is totally different from the signal a gas tach expects to see.

If you're handy with electronic stuff, 4crawler makes an optical pickup kit that will let you use the gas tach:
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTri ... tml#Theory
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

Thanks gull, but anyone that knows me knows I'll damned well let the magic smoke out, lol. :banghead:

Here's some pics of the progress, had a REALLY good day today, should have it about 99% wrapped up by Sunday. The last few pics are of what ended the Rabbit diesel's life. The driver's side control arm rusted off and came free. I also found a crunched fuel line that will have to be addressed, Uggh!
gull

Post by gull »

If you're not handy with electronics, your best bet is to find an OEM diesel tach, maybe out of a Jetta, and fit it into the Cabriolet dash. You'll also need an alternator with a W terminal. I haven't done it, but some of the folks on the Audi-VW-Diesels and Diesel-Vanagon yahoo groups have.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

Trust me when I tell ya that I an not handy with ANYTHING electrical! I've got someone coming out that did this swap and he's going to help with the wiring. I'm having a hell of a time getting the passenger's side motor mount back in. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm probably going to have to build a press in the shop to get it to work. Also getting the bellows and tie rod ends Monday to finish the steering up. If it weren't for this damned mount, the motor would be in and fitted.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

You need a press for the mount.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: