Stinky Bunny v.1.6d

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Stinky Bunny v.1.6d

Post by gull »

GREENGOLF wrote:The main thing is there are 2 red wires out of the damn Rabbit harness, 1 out of the Cabby's harness.
Yeah, the Bosch alternators have an internal voltage regulator and use a "one wire" hookup. (Actually two wires, the fat red one for charging current and a thin one for the dash light.) I suspect the Motorola one has an external voltage regulator and has an extra wire for field current or something.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

GREENGOLF wrote:The main thing is there are 2 red wires out of the damn Rabbit harness, 1 out of the Cabby's harness. I REALLY hate doing electrical work. Gimme ole sparky and I'm good, plasma cutter or welder. I have non ac unit coming tomorrow. Luckily I have a GREAT VW shop here that's really int conversions.
OK, I see what your issue is and the good news is... It's not a problem.

Here is a picture of two 65A alternators (Both have the voltage regulator removed.) The one on the left is from a MK II the one on the right is from a Rabbit. The only difference is the Rabbit one has the plug where the MK II has the stud where the power cable attaches.

Here is the Rabbit power cable, direct from a stock Rabbit. The two red wires both go to the terminal on the starter.

Here is the Alternator installed in Topless Bunny

I have a couple more pictures, but I hope this helps.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

If the Cabrio alt that's coded for no AC works, we're golden. Sorry about the slow updates, the wife and I have come down with the creeping crud and the LAST place I wanna be is outside working on a car. That and 1 hurricane and 1 tropical storm have slowed us down.
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

Unfortunately life got in the way of us finishing Stinky. We finally finished the garage, part collapsed right after the tropical storm went past us. I was recently diagnosed with RA and have been having a hell of a time getting to the point where I can turn a wrench without excruciating pain. All that's left to do is wire in the glow plugs and we're back on the road. On top of everything else, 2012 started with us having to put Charlie the Chewman to sleep this morning. Not the way I wanted to start the new year. :( I'll try to be more active here this winter since anything outside is verboten with the RA.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Sorry to hear about all the trouble and very sorry to hear about the loss of your pet. We maybe facing a similar situation with one of our furry friends in the near future.

The diagnosis of RA can't be great either, but I hope you were able to catch it early and find a treatment that works. I know it will be a continuing battle, but don't let it get the better of you. Hopefully the rest of this new year will bring you good things.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

She ran today, w00t!!!! I had a friend come over to help and the damned ignition switch is FUBAR nearest we can tell. I'll have a new one tomorrow. Sorry about the slow updates, there will be more regular updates.

My health seems to be turning around. On top of the RA I have hypothyroid and a low Vitamin D level which is being dealt with as we speak. The pain in my joints gets better each day and I'm hoping I'll be back to 90% in a few weeks.

In the interim, here's a pic of something I found about a month ago. an AAZ powered 1997 Golf .

Mk3Golf 004 by http://www.flickr.com/people/35045189@N00/,
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

Well, it wasn't the ignition switch, stupid assed autotragic interlock, lol! If anyone needs a \n ignition switch, I have an extra. :banghead:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Glad to hear you and the car are doing much better. Good work.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

GREENGOLF wrote:Well, it wasn't the ignition switch, stupid assed autotragic interlock, lol! If anyone needs a \n ignition switch, I have an extra. :banghead:
Been there done that one myself a time or two.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

I just soldered the 2 together and she runs like a champ, well an off time champ. I'll take some pics tomorrow. I bought a Canon 7D so I can do HD video as well.
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

Looks like we're gonna need some wire ties, lol.

AN ORIGINAL 1983 Cabrio we saw at Cincy.

Rabbit injection. :lol:

OK, the plan is to FINALLY finish up this week, I have all the parts I need, just need the time to finish it up. Time hasn't been there to work on her. Once she's running, gonna pull the Golf in and strip it, then swap the motor in this fall after I go through it and put the Giles pump on it with some sort of larger turbo on it.
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

IT'S ALIVE!!!! Dunno why it's not allowing me to embed it. Might have to wait a few and try again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlsln-H8 ... e=youtu.be
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Congratulations...... Sounds nice, but dieselie. :)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

The wife is happy, it's her car. Now to get the AAZ ready to drop in. Got all the parts, but it's 11ty billion degrees outside. The thermometer in the shop says 117 right now with 9000% humidity, GRRRRRR!!! :rmad: