Stinky Bunny v.1.6d

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

GREENGOLF
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Stinky Bunny v.1.6d

Post by GREENGOLF »

Grrrr, still storming up here in HELL. Charlie's doing a lot better today. Tomorrow's supposed to be really nice so I should get a lot done. All that's left is to fit up the exhaust, weld it and the wiring. Then to futz around with that damn shift linkage some. Rabid Irish from the tex will be out here Sunday so we should get her running. I'll post up some pics of what I'm doing with the exhaust. I had a local shop bend me up a new 2" DP and I'm going to fit that to the Eco's flange and attach it to Stinky. No moar drinking straw sized exhaust, lol.
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

Clatta clatta clatta.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

Nothing like the clatter of a VW diesel and the 40+ mpg that comes with it. I have a 77 Rabbit diesel that I will have back up and running when I get the tools to time the injector pump and remove the injectors. Good to see your progress. Hopefully you will have a 50 mpg Cabby. ;-)
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

OK, got some of the exhaust done before my back seized up on me yet again. Charlie seems better. Hopefully tomorrow we'll have the wiring done and test start her.
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

Got the accelerator cable attached, WHAT a treat that was, lol. I have a bit of advice here, DO NOT look for the rubber bushing in junkyards or through VW. You ain't gonna find them in either place. :rmad: I did a fix for this, I'll do some pics at some point and time. All I have left to do is hook up the shift linkage and the exhaust. A few wires are gonna get done this weekend. I'll be back stripping out all of the fuel management from the gas motor when we finish.
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

I think I just bought an EA Cabby, lol. Waiting for the guy to get back to me. :D
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

I took a pass on the EA Bunny, it's beat all to bloody hell. I left him an offer of $300 for it, said that if he didnt get any bites this weekend he'd call me Monday.

On to Stinky. Some of the wiring has been sorted, got the new DP built and the rest of the fuel system sorted.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

You're a machine. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

Still plugging away, now I need to figure out the power to the cluster.
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

Cluster has been sorted as well as a little bit more wiring. I have a guy coming up to put the glow plug light in the cluster for me in a week or so. Work has been kicking my ass and the same with the heat. I did score another parts Rabbit today. I'm running out of room in my shed for hiding parts cars, lol. Might have to start parting some of them this fall.
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

OK, need some HAJLP!!! I'm having an alternator issue. If anyone here has a Cabby without power steering or AC, I'd like a pic and the numbers off of it. The one that comes on a diesel Rabbit without ac or power steering has a plug on the back and I'm trying to keep the harness as unmolested as I humanly can.The Cabby has the 2 wires, that's what I'm after. I even pulled 2 of them apart to try to cobble together a Frankenalternator to no avail. All I managed to do is break a brush in the good alternator. :mad: Once I get this sorted we're go for launch if the hurricanes and torrential monsoons leave me the hell alone.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

That is because the diesels in North America came with a Motorola Alternator and not a Bosch. Bosch used the separate wires, where Motorola used the plug.

If you want to convert, then take the pulley off the Motorola Alt, and use it in the Bosch.

20 years of VW dieseling....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country

Post by CalAltaDubber »

GREENGOLF wrote:OK, need some HAJLP!!! I'm having an alternator issue. If anyone here has a Cabby without power steering or AC, I'd like a pic and the numbers off of it. The one that comes on a diesel Rabbit without ac or power steering has a plug on the back and I'm trying to keep the harness as unmolested as I humanly can.The Cabby has the 2 wires, that's what I'm after. I even pulled 2 of them apart to try to cobble together a Frankenalternator to no avail. All I managed to do is break a brush in the good alternator. :mad: Once I get this sorted we're go for launch if the hurricanes and torrential monsoons leave me the hell alone.
Can you wait till the weekend?

I will take som pictures for you.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
gull

Post by gull »

Briano1234 wrote:If you want to convert, then take the pulley off the Motorola Alt, and use it in the Bosch.
That's probably the most straightforward way to do it, and lets you keep the stock harness.

Last time I needed to do an alt pulley swap (installing the A/C delete pulley on the '88) I took it to NAPA and they buzzed the pulley off and on with an electric impact gun. No charge.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
GREENGOLF

Post by GREENGOLF »

The main thing is there are 2 red wires out of the damn Rabbit harness, 1 out of the Cabby's harness. I REALLY hate doing electrical work. Gimme ole sparky and I'm good, plasma cutter or welder. I have non ac unit coming tomorrow. Luckily I have a GREAT VW shop here that's really int conversions.