A Re-introduction

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

windsorlove
What year is your cabby?: 1990

A Re-introduction

Post by windsorlove »

Well, its been a long LONG time since i have posted here. For those that dont remember me, my name is been and I was blessed (cursed?) with a free 1990 Cabriolet in the summer of 2008. Needless to say it needed work. The day I brought the pig home:

At this point the car needed some TLC. The brakes were shot (along with a wheel cylender that went on the hi-way, that was a good time), it needed a good cleaning, and it was running on three cylinders (bad cap). All these issues were taken care of and all was well in my world again. Then i got the itch to start modding. After thinking and looking and lurking, i decided what the first mod should be...single rounds. My brother in law tells me that his old grill is at my partents house in the garage. Awesome. Ten minutes and 4 zipties later I had this:

During the winter my 98 Jetta had a tranny issue and the whole in the floor told me its not worth the repair. I decided to part it out.

Jetta in its prime:

and when it left my parents

The car stayed like this the rest of the summer. At some point, it developed a small (read "rediculously huge) exhaust leak. Around July 2009 year a RI state trooper told me that the car sounded like "a Mack truck." Needless to say, i got a 5-day fixit ticket. That stuck the car into my parents garage for fixing.

I decided to strip the black paint off the grill, it just wasnt doing it for me. The grill went from this

To this

windsorlove

Re: A Re-introduction

Post by windsorlove »

I got some replacement fenders from a friend, already white too. Score

Then i decided on some black Euro plastic bumpers. My brother in law was nice enough to donate his bumpers from his 85 Rabbit. The clipper came off:

Wow, its suprisingly rust free under there. Then this car decided to donate its bumpers for a good cause.
^^^^
The 85 as previously mentioned. The bumpers came off that car and were transplanted onto mine. Let me just say, if you have an AC equipped Cabbie, its a b***h to get the front bumpers off.

Then the stockpiling of parts began. Tie rods, and wheel bearing kit from MJM Autohaus

Quarter flares from MK1 Autohaus (Amazing ebay seller)

A friend of mine fixed this for a 12 pack (German Auto Parts photo)

But this will be going in its place hopefully over the winter. Tri-Y design, early TT from what i am told:

And it will be connected to this, 2.25" with a Flowmaster Hushpower

Clear Cross Hairs and deep duck bill from TMTuning

and all to be held over the road by these, Koni adjustables and H&R Race springs

Then came the long process of tear down and rebuild. New headlights first

No fenders, suspension, or hubs

And as of 10/11/09

Everything is in, car feels amazing. Still needs an alignment but that is coming next week. New top and trim to come next summer and then new wheels (cheap wheels) to come some point after that. There might not be a new top in its futer, i have some evil thougths about what to do with that. Duck bill and flares still need to go on and the bumper needs to be tweeked a little bit.
bbrown
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by bbrown »

Looking good. Been following you on the 'Tex as well. The blue Cabby does make for a pretty good inspiration, but I am glad you are going with bumpers. The header looks like Autotech one to me, but I am unfamiliar with old TT stuff (I am new to VW's). So the Koni's and H&R's handle pretty good? I have been toying with suspension setups for some time and can't make my mind up. I like the look and performance of coilovers, but I don't want to go too low or pay up the butt for good ones. Anyways keep us posted on the progress. :thumbup:
~Buster

1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8 5 spd.

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
windsorlove

Post by windsorlove »

The suspension is great. Its comfortably firm if that makes any sense. It rides firm, dont get me wrong but it doesnt abuse you. You will get a good jolt over more severe bumps/potholes, but for the most part it is nice and smooth. Then when you huck it into a corner, the car stays nice and flat. I am not sure if the springs are infact H&R Race or not. That is what i was told but the coloring of the powder coating on the springs doesnt seem right. For the most part, all the H&R's i have seen were red. these have a light blue color.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

What you have for suspension are Koni adjustable shocks/struts with H&R sport springs. This is different from true "coilovers" as you can adjust the dampening, but not the ride height.

True coilovers look more like this

Here is a comparrison between my old H&R suspension and the coilovers

As you can see, there is a massive difference. Coilovers can be harsh, but it's the price you pay to go low. If you just want a nice lower stance while gaining nice handeling, stick with some nice adjustable shocks/struts and lowering springs. It's hard to go wrong with the koni & H&R combo. :thumbup:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
windsorlove

Post by windsorlove »

As some of you know, i was able to pick up a new to me top and frame at the dustoff. I have had a feeling that the frame on mine is tweaked and i really didnt want to recover a top. top is about an 8 out of 10, couple little spots that need attention, but for those of you who know what my top looked like, its a big upgrade. hopefully it goes on the car Wednesday, when i have some timeoff as well as the help of my father. Saturday i am hoping to have the chance to put the quarter flares and duck bill on.

As always, pictures will document progress

It was nice out, i did some stuff to the car.

finally got the duckbill and quarter flares on the car

So, as you all know, the top on the Cabby wasnt in the best shape. Allow me to refresh your memory:

I purchased a new top at the dustoff and planned on putting it in today. While taking the old top off, the cable that holds the top to the body broke and the new top didnt have this cable so that was the end game on that. At this point, the car looked like this:

So i started to clean the car up, vacuum it out, the fun stuff. I got that all clean and wit the seats out i fixed the drivers side seat, it now is height adjustable, and put the new seat bushings in. Now the seats dont wobble, sweet

Next, i decided to hook up the city lights.

I hate the clear city's so i stop at autozone and grab some ambers

I think they might be too dim, i bought 194's to go in there but it looks like they are a lower wattage than what came out of the lights, but i will see as it gets darker out. All in all, i would say it was a good day.

Sorry for the mish mosh of a post, i copied and pasted a couple posts together, i appologize for ignore you folks over here.
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Looking good. :thumbup: Actually, it's looking rather familiar... May I suggest not going with BBS RZ wheels. :wink: :mrgreen:
windsorlove

Post by windsorlove »

Thanks Kam, our cars do look surprisingly similar...
windsorlove

Post by windsorlove »

So, is it bad that I am thinking about NOT putting the top back on the car? I have thoughts again. Thoughts scare me.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

You'll want that top the first time you get caught in a good down-pour. :lol:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C