Build your own Power Bleeder

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Build your own Power Bleeder

Post by Briano1234 »

I used a $4.50 cent power sprayer from big lots.
1 brake res cap from Junk yard
1 new tire valve stem
4 foot of 5/16 od 1/4 id vacuum hose
1 1/4 nylon barbed fitting 9/16 NPT
1 9/16 Lamp nut.

Take the sprayer apart (remove the top) after marking the side where the cap finishes.

Go 1/4 below that and drill a hole in the side the size of your tire valve stem.

Take the Sprayer head off and you will find under the first cap there is a little plastic piece that has two holes in it. Drill it out using a drill bit the same size as the inner diameter.

Set aside.

On the Second screw in cap You will drill that with a 5/16 bit in to the cap.
Then on the threaded part drill that then cut off the non threaded part with a knife.

Insert the 5/16 hose in to the first cap, and pull it out about 1 inch.
into that insert the tiny plastic sleeve and pull the hose back out, this will seal the hose tight to the cap, screw both on.. get all the crap out of the jug.

For the res cap, I removed the pressure switch.
place a washer on the threaded part of the barbed fitting.
place the barbed fitting into the cap.
Seal the Barbed fitting to the washer and the top of the cap with silicone red RTV.

Seal the bottom washer with RTV, and place the lamp nut on the threads and tighten with 2 wrenches.

It takes me about 15 minutes to flush my brake likes, and renew the fluid. Most of the time it is to jack the car up to get my large aesed frame under the car.....

Fill with brake fluid 1/2 way, that is about 1 liter of fluid.

Fill the jug 1/2 way up with new fluid.

PUMP IT UP.....with the handi-self pump....

The tire valve is to make sure with a tire pressure gauge that you only have 15 psi in the jug.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
bbrown
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: Build your own Power Bleeder

Post by bbrown »

:thumbup: Very Cool :thumbup:. I might need to make one of these power bleeders for myself. Is the clamp on the hose there so that you can pump up the tank without break fluid coming out of the reservoir cap?
~Buster

1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8 5 spd.

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Build your own Power Bleeder

Post by Briano1234 »

bbrown wrote::thumbup: Very Cool :thumbup:. I might need to make one of these power bleeders for myself. Is the clamp on the hose there so that you can pump up the tank without break fluid coming out of the reservoir cap?
No, that is to prevent air from getting back to the fluid, and then to keep creepy crawlies out. I will eventually add a check/shut off valve of some sort....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: