Watcha been working on Now.

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Watcha been working on Now.

Post by Briano1234 »

What with the winter ebbing and the spring is around the corner... What have you been doing to the cabby lately?

I just got finished with repairing and re-dying the "Pleather" seats and door cards on the blue car Upgraded the rear speakers. They are the proverbial "Bright" White.

The trip white had the butt adjusting passenger side, so I installed that frame in the car.... The additional headroom is nice.

So:
I have to re-dye the knee bar, and the center console to match, but that is fairly easy....and the Headliner and Boot are Terrible as to the "new" interior. It's always something isn't it.

I only get the car at night for a few hours, so having the Spare interior from the trip white was a godsend. I am going to re-dye that and put it in the cabby as I think the leather interior will be cool.

I found that the best prep agent for the "pleather" is brake clean.. pulls all the dirt and grease off and opens the pores of the vinyl to take the paint easier.

Still haven't gotten around to doing the mounts and exhaust,,,, but that may happen sooner as in the next couple of weeks.

As a preview....

I came on this at the "yard":

Then I got a hold of a early Sirroco dual down pipe:

Gonna cut the exhaust manifold flange off the Dual Down, and then cut the Dual Golf off after the squeezy part, and weld them together to make
my less than 60 buck trick work. Cheap paint cut and paste:

But I have to get the motor mounts done to get the distances correct for the welds.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Re: Watcha been working on Now.

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

ive been working on fixing my 94 waveblaster....i just tuned it last saturday, and the thing rips...its faster in the topend than my 96.

i put all the aftermarket parts on it ive been accumulating for about a year. it had a cracked hull but i picked on up for 50bucks from a dude on craigslist...so i now have two skis again
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by gull »

Been really cold here...well, by Seattle standards, anyway. Today I finally got around to tightening up the J-hooks on the top, though. Should have done that long ago. Less wind noise, and no more squeaks/rattles from the top header when I drive over potholes.

There really isn't a lot that the VW needs. I really need to work on the Saab when the weather warms up, though. It's running fairly well but it needs lots of other work -- I need to reassemble the interior, clean up some surface rust, replace some dried-out weatherstripping, and lots of other little stuff.

Oh yeah, the steering on the VW feels kind of loose lately, especially on center, so it's probably due for some front end work. Not too surprising after all the pounding it takes when I go to rallies; I probably put more gravel road miles on that car in a year than most Cabbies see in a lifetime. I'll take it to a shop, because I don't really do suspension work.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
vw_nick

Post by vw_nick »

I've been "rebuilding" the front suspension of the rail buggy at work one piece at a time. Rebuilding with with the parts washer, wire wheel, sand blaster and spray paint. I also made the "dashboard" for it. It's been too cold to warrant much time out in the garage. Supposed to be picking up a inexpensive '95 volvo 850 sedan somtime within the next week or so as an additional car / backup to the now 301.5k mile Jetta. It'll need some work to be road worthy.
Nick
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

I've repaired the jetta back to full running status.

Getting ready to do the timing belt on the beetle

Waiting on a replacement Digi-1 harness for the scirocco

so, while everything runs right now, there's always room for reg-main or improvement
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

I've been working on something I hope to reveal in April... hint-hint. :mrgreen:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Now if that isn't a tease I don't know what is
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Replacing the starter in the Green cabby, farging sticky Bendix.....DAMNits then I have to redo the wiring to the Stereo as there's a intermittent to the front speakers.

Nice thing is the number one Son is now working at PEPBOY's and get a better discount than I did.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

i started working on the jetta...the serp belt setup is on just trying to find a belt that fits now
gull

Post by gull »

That's always fun...when I did the electric fan conversion on the Saab it took me a few trips to the parts store to get a new V-belt that fit properly. They were good sports about it, though.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Managed to pick up a set of H&R sport spring for the Jetta as a price I couldn't even refuse. Then, was able to get a nice set of 18" wheel on long term loan from a good friend. Result is this.

Have also gotten in the replacement Digi-1 harness for the rocco, so I hope to be getting to that in the near future.

Also on the plate will be a timing belt change on the Boosted Beetle as well as a full mod session to a friends A2 Jetta and then the timing chains on his A4 Jetta. So, I know I'll be busy as hell on the weekends for a while.

Brian, we should open our own shop. Between the two of us, I think we could just about fix anything out there. :mrgreen:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
gull

Post by gull »

Those wheels look great on that car.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Thanks. I never really gave much thought to modding the MKIV's as they were just daily beaters. But I'm finding that I just can't leave them alone.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C