Damn Cold Weather

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Damn Cold Weather

Post by Briano1234 »

How do you folks live up there in the cold.

I worked on my daughters car and replaced all the grounds, (how do ya think I can snap them pics).

Well she spent the night last night and this morning I had to move cars a wee bit, and low and behold
a/f was on the ground under where her car was parked.....

What was the cause, the hose that I replaced proactively was leaking from the connection to the plastic flange.

What was tight at 50 degrees when I was replacing the hose was weeping at 16 last night arggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

So I checked all the clamps and there were 3 that were loose that I had to tighten.... go figure, so next week when winter is over, they will be really tight. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Damn Cold Weather

Post by Calimus »

I can certainly remember having this problem a few years back when refreshing some things on the rocco. Had everything nice and tight (or so I thought), cold snap comes in, fire the car up and within a matter of min, I have an AF foutain under the car. I really wish someone would make replacements for some of those flanges in good old metal so I dind't worry about cracking them when trying tog et things tight.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Bugly

Post by Bugly »

F-150 and cabby leak at below 10 degrees. have to replace hoses in cold weather not warm so they don't leak. Have been told it is after market clamps that are to blame. Winter over next week??? Just happy it will be above freezing mark tomorrow, first time in a week and will only last a few days and then back to cold. (that's why we have big two car heated garages and barns :lol: )
'89 cabby
'94 jet R.I.P.
'02 gti 1.8 turbo
'92 F150 4X4 (VW rescue vhicle)
'99 red jet IV
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Y'all need to move to the Southwest... glorious topless weather (75-80 :o ) for the past two weeks! :mrgreen:
Bugly

Post by Bugly »

Watch for what you wish kammy, will be in Tucson for a week, (second week of February) Hope the cold weather doesn't follow me :mrgreen:
'89 cabby
'94 jet R.I.P.
'02 gti 1.8 turbo
'92 F150 4X4 (VW rescue vhicle)
'99 red jet IV
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I've never had those kinds of problems, but I keep the anti-freez in my cars mixed to -40 deg. This way, the coolant does not freeze and expand (which is what I think the root of your problem is).

Although you live in a generally warm climate, I would suggest you consider mixing a little more antifreeze into your systems to a 0 Deg. F freezing point.

This will do two things:

1. The coolant won't freeze and expand; and
2. Since antifreeze is also the lubricant for the cooling system, it will better lubricate the water pump.

We are having a colder than usual winter this year and I haven't had any problems yet. Mind you the two MK IVs are the only cars running at this time. I have Topless Bunny parked with the battery removed and the project car has no engine at this time.

Oh before I forget, my VW mechanic friend did pass on a warning.

Do not mix G12 Antifreeze (the pink stuff that is in MK IV VWs) with regular antifreeze like Prestone.

The resultant mixture becomes very acidic and will eat aluminum parts.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
gull

Post by gull »

Even if it doesn't freeze, cold weather makes parts contract. Anything rubber loses pliability in the cold, too. That's probably why my oil cooler O-ring waited until a below freezing day to let go. This same effect caused the Challenger explosion -- failure of an O-ring made brittle by cold weather.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force