Where are my Battery Grounds?

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Where are my Battery Grounds?

Post by Briano1234 »

I had to replace the Battery Grounds, and took the old one off and replaced them with standard
cables from "Pepboys"

I used a 20" battery connection with an aux connector
and a 24" Jumper from the Frame to the Tranny.

The battery gounds are located:

back corner of the valve cover:

Behind the air box on the frame horn. From the frame horn to the Transmission mounting to engine Bolt.... The only studded bolt on the
tranny mounts

From the Battery negative to that same frame mount.

They are more than adequate and there are additional grounds that
are from the a/c compressor to the Alternator Case nut, and on the ECU bracket to the rain tray.

Clean the Frame stud and the back side of the nut, use a little Never-seize on it and with new standard battery cables they will be able to more than do the job for you.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: Where are my Battery Grounds?

Post by kamzcab86 »

On manual cars the battery negative cable goes from the battery, beneath the airbox, to the chassis, and from the chassis to the left side of the top of the transmission. It's a relative PITA to change on CIS cars; if you want the new cable to be factory original, you'll need to remove the fuel distributor/airbox. I got an OEM replacement cable and wasn't about to remove all that crap just to lay a cable; went to NAPA and had the cable cut into two pieces, had them crimp new ring terminals onto it and ran the cable behind the airbox.

Original factory cable is not covered like most new ones are and, by now, ought to be covered in grime. Because of the way VW insisted on running the original cable, it also gets squished (bent) by the airbox. :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

Yup, first thing I do on the A1's is replace the ground cables. I go to a 02 guage (maybe it's 04, I'll have to check) from the battery to the body (same mounting place as original) and then I do another 02 guage from the body to the front of the tranny. The reason I go to the front rather then the back is that when these cars do leak, it seems they always leak oil from the back side and it covers the original mounting area with sludge.

Oh yea, the new cables are covered with a clear insulation as well. This way I can see any future breakage should any occure. This has netted me extra juice on the voltmeter as well as no flickering of the interior lights when turning the headlights on or going to highbeam while at idle. You must free the electrons!
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
gull

Post by gull »

The sludge is corrosion prevention. These cars undercoat themselves, automatically. ;)

BTW, it's not that they leak more from the back, it's that any oil that leaks gets blown rearwards. If the leak's bad enough you'll even find oil flecks on the trunk lid.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Very true :D
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C