Thanks for all the info!!!!! New top INSTALLED!!!

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

dr_destructo
What year is your cabby?: 1992

Thanks for all the info!!!!! New top INSTALLED!!!

Post by dr_destructo »

Just wanted to say that I appreciate all the helpfull info here. I have had VeeDubs since high school. Kinda got away from them a few years ago. So, I'm kinda familiar with the quirks. Anyway, I ust bought a 92 Cabby for my wife about a month ago and have been refurbing it a bit. Needed a new top, and someone had horked the factory wheels and just put on some crappy steel wheels(not the cool steelies). Interior was dirty and needed new timing belt and shocks/struts.

Browsed around here for some info for a couple weeks and decided where to start. Replaced the belts and new cap/rotor. Temp sensor. Shocks/ struts and lowering springs. Shampooed the interior. New wheels/tires. And finally......new top!

I kept putting it off, trying to find someone else to do it, but decided that I could do it myself after reading/talking to my local import parts guy. He did his wifes and said it wasnt too bad. I ordered the top from MT Manufacturing. $240 shipped with all 3 cables. Took about 8 hrs, but I think I could do it in 4 or 5 if I did another one. No major problems. Worst part for me was keeping dirty hands off of it. Here are a few pics. Top is not perfect, but I'm happy with it for my first time. Thanks again!
Attachments
rear.JPG
rear.JPG (942.72 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
rfcorner.JPG
rfcorner.JPG (957.07 KiB) Viewed 2751 times
rstopup.JPG
rstopup.JPG (806.66 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Thanks for all the info!!!!! New top INSTALLED!!!

Post by Briano1234 »

Not too shabby for a first timer....

I will agree, Black tops are easier to install, (no clean up).

Nows the time to start taking care of the new one...303 Aerospace Protectorant.....never ArmorAll
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Re: Thanks for all the info!!!!! New top INSTALLED!!!

Post by kuklaki »

I admire everyone who tackles that rask on their own. I'll be facing that chore sometime this year I hope, but plan on enlisting a little help from my friends.
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)