top leaks

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Shatteredglass
What year is your cabby?: 1986

top leaks

Post by Shatteredglass »

well my new top leaks
not only did i have to GLUE the rear window myself since the idiot didnt do it right, despite me telling him what i wanted cause i knew it would leak there, it did... water poors in right near the hooks that hold down the top on the side front windows.

anyone have suggestions? the rubber strip/weather stripping seems fine. i dont have a garage right now and this is very bad. any thoughts on why water is coming in so badly often on both side windows.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: top leaks

Post by Briano1234 »

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1611

http://mk1dubs.com/modules.php?name=Con ... page&pid=9

You may just have to clean the seal really good, and then adjust the j-hooks tighter
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Dennishawn

Post by Dennishawn »

i ended up running silicon glue (aquarium glue is best) right down the edges of the rubber parts the window rolls up into. i know some use some slippery stuff to slide them back on when they are putting the top back together but trust me u need glue. water will come in.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

You don't need glue.... trust me after doing 7 tops, if you replace the dead foam, and adjust the seals and doors there will be no water leaks at all.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by gull »

I have a related issue. I have no water leaks, but I have little gaps between the tops of the front windows and the upper window seals that cause wind noise and drafts. I saw an article on here on adjusting the window stops, but it was for electric windows. Are the manual windows adjustable? If not, I'm thinking of stuffinging some rubber hose into the hollow channels of the seals to make them thicker, so they'll meet the windows.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

There are window stops in the same place on manual doors, but from your description, that is more a saggy door issue, or your seal trays are centered in the frame and not to the outside.

To verify that the trays are to the outer most position, you need to remove the seals, for the front there is the lead screw, and then the glue.
But to check it.

slide the seal to the front to get it out of the finger on the rear.
Pop, the seal out of the tray, remember it is screwed and glued on the front.
So look at the position of the screw, if it is the center of the tray then you can move it to the outside... if it is more inside, then you need to move it to the outside...

To see if it is fully to the outer the screw should be full left on the tray drivers side and full right passengers side. If you have to move it, it is best done with the seal totally out and clean the foam off if the tray bottom and frame, apply new foam.
Briano

gull
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by gull »

Thanks. I'll check it out. I suspect I may have centered them by mistake when I replaced the top.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Bugly

Post by Bugly »

There are three adjustments for the front window. All have to be done with door panel off. Top seal, parallel fit and fore-aft. Front fit adjustment with two bolts at bottom left of door, front window parallel by four bolts near top of door (two for front, two for rear)
'89 cabby
'94 jet R.I.P.
'02 gti 1.8 turbo
'92 F150 4X4 (VW rescue vhicle)
'99 red jet IV