The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: The past week in Car repair

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, hung the Cat, and welded a pipe..Then I heard a shhh shhh sound, that if I pulled the e-brake, went away, so since I had the car jacked....

Rear wheel Cylinder bad. Shoes gone, but hey, I had a spare wheel cylinder and a set of shoes.....
Bad was that as the new one was going in, I hit it and it shot apart, dribbling Brake Fluid all over.... ok, clean it all up again fix the wheel cylinder. Re-pack the bearings and then bleed all 4, but my bleeder jar wouldn't hold a vacuum, and I had to fix that, then oh I pulled all the fluid out of the res, I didn't realize it had drained that much...... ok, re-bleed.... all is well, cept I have to do the other side tomorrow...
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG>>>>>

Finished the brakes Got to test drive it, and it was really nice.
Put it back in the Carport, Pull up the e-brake, and BANG.... The passenger side cable snapped.....
I have a spare on the wall of my garage, and thought about replacing it... well It is getting replaced now....
DANG NABIT...... Couldn't of Broke when I was tighten the wheel back on.... nooooo...it waits...until I am all cleaned up, and all the tools put away....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well got the cable installed, routed and positioned, as the Dog over Cam on the E-Brake handle spun, as I went to position it, the button broke.
2 dollar part 4 in the country, won't be in for 5-7 days.... I am hoping the JB-Weld works.....
Double DANG NABIT......

I guess my tag line is very appropriate.
Briano

CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Nothing new to report here except I'm getting ready to start a new project.

Details soon
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well I have made progress? Re-moved the seats front and back. Shampooed the Carpet 2 pounds of dirt came out. Recovered the drivers side rear quarter panel. Recovered the Rear Seat bottom.... Recovered the Rear Seat Back. Sprayed the Console, getting Knee-Bar out to Spray it.
Will post Pictures of the changes after I get them all done. :)

2 more seats, and 3 more door panels, then I can get to work on the new top, headlner, and pad....
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Dropped the Knee-Bar, and starting to clean it.
Cleaned the Gear selector shaft, polished it 3 coats of clear later I hope it stays shiny for a year or two.
Rear Seats and cards recovered and installed.
Carpet cleaned for the 3 time...
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Got the knee bar painted, and I was really pissed at SIM. The Midnight Black that I bought was actually GRAY.... But I got it black. 4 coats of it. Looks really nice, and will compliment the color scheme.

Got the Ash Tray all spiffied up as well as the Window buttons and Vents....
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

New timing belt.
New Passenger Motor mount, new belts, New Plugs.
Cleaned a bit of stuff...... But she lives....... LOLOLOL
It was a real pain. Bad Crank Gear, Bad lower timing cover, lots of little nat bites.

Oh, my new Stayfast Canvas top came in...... So probably in 2 weeks I will get it installed.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Fixed my Drivers side door check, so now finally my door opens and stays open..... WOOOOOT
Now today I have Started the dreaded 3 layer top replacement.. But I have to make my own pad and pad liner. But unlike previous new padding kit I bought, I have the original padding cover to go by when I Sew my own, and the Original Horse Hair for a guide to see how far off the measurements are
(ok the horse hair pad is 23 years young, compressed and shrunk... But the Padding cover I took off has straps that the replacements lacked, and It is sewn differently.... I have never liked the newer padding kits as they aren't quite right... But I have a good one to go by...

Why buy new style when you can remake it original. PS, the old style has only 2 vinyl pieces to catch the sides all the rest is heavy duty Denim.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Got the Padding cut, got the padding liner made, and tomorrow I will hang both and await the new rear cable...Eagerly.
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Sold the Ghia and it left today. Move the Scirocco to the back yard and will be getting ready to put it up for sale. This no means that the time has come to finally start working on bringing the cabby back to life. I'll be pulling all the motor cycles out of the garage tomorrow and re-arranging the garage so that work can be done on the cabby.

Today we went out and got the cabby a new battery, wipers, oil filter and oil. With the funds from the Ghia sale, we will be ordering new suspension and top bits. So Brian, about that offer you made O'so many years ago about helping to replace the top. If that still stands (and trust I understand if you tell me to piss off) we might need to talk about that fairly soon.

It's going to feel good to turn some wrenches on an A1 again. As sad as I am to see my Scirocco go eventually, I had my fun with it and now it's time for someone else too. An lets face it, just one A1 is enough work to maintain.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote: So Brian, about that offer you made O'so many years ago about helping to replace the top. If that still stands (and trust I understand if you tell me to piss off) we might need to talk about that fairly soon.
Do you want to hear my Pain. Snapped a new rear cable, the padding I installed is toooooo thick, I have the top stretching, but it will all come off as I have to replace the foam with thinner. Hint 1 inch foam is too much, needs 5/8 or 1/2... I have about 300 Lbs on the Roof to close the top. I will messenger you a pic tomorrow but have to go to daughters on Monday, so I will be taking my welder, and burgers... :)

But it does look sharp, I am afraid if i open it, I will never get it closed so I am allowing the material to stretch. (yep canvas), then with the wrenches I dropped I had to remove the rear seat and corner covers, that is nuts bolts, and what nots......

I did drive it around the yard in the sun today, and it drove rather nicely.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

3 weeks so far on this top and it looks like it will be the middle of the week before I get -r-done.
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

As usual, sounds like you can't stop tinkering even when you already had a well working procedure, lol. I'd expect nothing less from you sir.

However, I can't tell if that was a "piss off" or not. Been a while since we've spoken and not sure if I'm up on my Brian-speak.

Just got done pulling a bunch of shit out of the garage, crap, bikes, and the cabby it now out and hosed off. True to Cristines detailing skills, the wax has held and the water beaded right up and off. Got the car running and found my box of parts I order a few years back, was happy to see what it was when I opened it. Two lower front control arms, ball joints and a replacement strut for the trunk. Well, I slapped the strut on real quick. First time that thing has stayed open on it's own since we've owned it I think?

So now I have to shift crap around in the garage and re-arrange so I an put this puzzle back together in a way that makes more sense. Time for more fun.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

97 degrees Garage, work, sweat, grease, clean..... Sounds fun.
Briano