The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

The past week in Car repair

Post by Calimus »

So the cabby is the only car that dind't require any wrenching in the last week.

Here's the tally:

Jetta - New veriable intake rod bushings and new cam positioning sensor

Beelte - New plug wires and then repair to coil pack after awesome display of fire works (read arching) due to cracked coil tower for #3 cyl.

87' Rocco - New fuel pump and then hours of fun tracking down funky dip in rpm at idle. This involved swapping ECU's from my 88' to to the 87', adjusting idle air screw, throttle stop screw, unplugging throttle switches and a host of other crap. Have part of it narrowed down, just not sure why it's causing the problem.

Cabby - Nothing, it's actually running well for a change.

All in all it was a productive weekend. I also managed a trip out to the pull-a-part and scored a nice A2 e-brake lever for my rocco. Much better in the looks department and it's a tad longer so there is some leverage bennifit. Cristines rocco already had this upgrade and I found ot very nice. Also scored some perfectly intact sunvisor clips, some misc switches and guages.

It's taken over a year, but I'm back in the groove as for working on the dubs.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: The past week in Car repiar

Post by Briano1234 »

SCORE one for the little guys................

I are having tranny troubles in my Pathfinder,,, no reverse But on a brighter note.. I only had to remove the bumper, windshield cowling to remove th fender to get to the Door Hinge pins to replace the bushings ..........................bad water pump, Have pump, just haven't gotten around to replace it.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Calimus wrote:Cabby - Nothing, it's actually running well for a change.

I spent the weekend ripping the dash out of mine.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

The dash? What was wrong with it? So far I have yet to see a cracked cabby dash. Not even the one's in the pull-a-part were cracked. Granted, you live in Hotter then Hell USA, so that might be what it takes to do it.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

Hmm, my statement may have been a tad misleading... project should be finished tomorrow (as much of a PITA as it was removing it, putting the dash back in should be a blast :roll: ) and details will follow. :mrgreen:

Sounds like the Crabby one isn't living up to her name anymore. :thumbup: :lol:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Sssssssshhhhhhh, never say that out loud. She'll hear it for sure. :P
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

kamzcab86 wrote:Hmm, my statement may have been a tad misleading... project should be finished tomorrow (as much of a PITA as it was removing it, putting the dash back in should be a blast :roll: ) and details will follow. :mrgreen:

Sounds like the Crabby one isn't living up to her name anymore. :thumbup: :lol:

You Jinxed me, my baby daughter came in and said only the defroster works...........................ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
And I have a couple of those servo's as spares.......... Plus I need to change out her water gauge any ways..........DAMN

I suppose I wil get to it after I get the tranny fixed in the POS PF.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

Briano1234 wrote:You Jinxed me, my baby daughter came in and said only the defroster works...........................ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
If I never have to remove that dash again (which requires kneebar removal :rmad: ), it'll be too f'n soon!! :banghead: German engineering... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

But if you do it correctly, then you only have to remove the knee bar once... My blue cab had all the screws in knee bar to the dash and was a right royal pain in the ass. Now it isn't so bad, and I can do the server in about 30 minutes..... it is just trying to find a empty garage, and the time to do it... :)
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, the tranny was only 2200, it works like a champ now I have a reverse which I find I did miss...
The defroster servo and water temp gauge got replaced on the baby daughters cabby.
On the blue cabby I replaced the heater control after re-greasing and cleaning the replacement.. It works soooo smooth the valve fully opens and closes.
I replaced the water gauge, in the speedo cluster.

Placing the A/C cut out switch on the dash was great idea, to be able to run the defrost sans a/c this past week.

So that is about all that I have done since the last post, I don't have anything but a water pump on the Pissan Nathfinder to do.....
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

This past week I haven't done much. The Jetta got a new fuel filter, cabin filter and yet another drivers side front signal bulb. Didn't get a chance to work on anything else as I bought the parts and assymbled my latest computer.

I'm finally back in the game as far as PC specs. Nothing like 30sec cold boots :twisted:

An since Brian (along with a few others) will know what I'm talking about, here are the specs
AMD 64 X2 6400 (3.2ghz)
Asus M2N - SLI Delux mother board
2gb Corsair XMS PC-6400
XFX 8600GT - 256mb
Segate Barricuda 250gb SATA 3g, 7200rpm 16mb cache

Cristines PC also got a slight upgrade with some leftover parts from my old rig. And as of last night, she's now running a fresh OS re-install. By late tonight she should have all the applications back that she needs and we should start seeing some graphics work around the site again. :P
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:This past week I haven't done much. The Jetta got a new fuel filter, cabin filter and yet another drivers side front signal bulb. Didn't get a chance to work on anything else as I bought the parts and assymbled my latest computer.

I'm finally back in the game as far as PC specs. Nothing like 30sec cold boots :twisted:

An since Brian (along with a few others) will know what I'm talking about, here are the specs
AMD 64 X2 6400 (3.2ghz)
Asus M2N - SLI Delux mother board
2gb Corsair XMS PC-6400
XFX 8600GT - 256mb
Segate Barricuda 250gb SATA 3g, 7200rpm 16mb cache

Cristines PC also got a slight upgrade with some leftover parts from my old rig. And as of last night, she's now running a fresh OS re-install. By late tonight she should have all the applications back that she needs and we should start seeing some graphics work around the site again. :P

I know I know You will love the speed but you should of gone to 4gb.... :)

I know that when I last upgraded the puters at home The Seagates had 160's so I bought 3 of them and raided them
redundancy....

I got a new Laptop for work, and they were nice enough to gib me a compaq 6510b with hp upgrades of a 160gb drive and 4gb of ram, So I finally got a work pc, that is as fast as my home pc's.

To update on the car work, is I am changing the water pump on the pissan nathfinder, and that makes the VW look friendly... remove the radiator, remove the upper timing covers remove the harmonic balancer, had to run to the hardware store to get bolts to fit my balancer, as the kit I own didn't have the right bolts...., remove the lower timing covers, remove the timing belt, then you can remove the water pump..... So I decided to change out the thermostat and it cost as much as the damn water pump.....well ok 2/3's the cost. Then the peal and stick gasket for the thermostat decided to remove half the gasket as I removed the backing from it... Run to the store and get a replacement.
Briano

GREENGOLF
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by GREENGOLF »

It finally warmed up enough here to replace the injector lines, $360 worth of injector lines, lol!! While I was in there I found a cracked vacuum line which fixed the funky shifting in the 010 Autotragic. I also acquired an 87 GTI, swapping that mess in in the spring, I have the 010 traded for another 020 that has a Peloquin in it for teh Bunny.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Very nice, limited slip for the win :thumbup:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well last week I had to fix a fuel leak in my Caravan, thankfully it was where the flex fuel lines joined the hard lines after the the tank. Then there was the bad Positive lead on the Battery.....

I used some of that Great Foamy Stuff to re-glue the top to the roll bar in my Pissan Nathfinder. It worked out really well, and I used vinyl tubing to extend the reach to get to the rear roll bar with out having to remove the headliner.....

This week a buddy has a Starter that may be bad on his 2002 Jetta with a automatic..... we shall see.
Briano