The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: The past week in Car repair

Post by Calimus »

Awesome. Not having to worry about emissions here, don't even think about these cars having a cat. I could eliminate that at any point and just never though about it.

On a side note, been working me ass off the last few weeks. Lots of actual work related projects and then tons of stuff around the house. Haven't had a chance to touch the cabby. However, I've ordered a few parts so as soon as I make some more time, I'll have plenty to do.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Got the blue one to pass emissions Friday, and I wished I would of fingered out the Stainless Steel Band Clamps for the exhaust years ago.
4 bolts cat on, four bolts cat off, and it is so quiet, no minimal exhaust leak.....So this week comes the Valve cover gasket and shocks/struts all the way around for the blue.... Window Welded the mounts, (bought from o'reilly's as they have a LLW on the mounts.... going to Weld the bolts a tad....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

New struts installed minus a little issue with getting DOA parts from autozone....had to wait 24 hours for the "good ones" to arrive, I dam sure opened the box to validate they were good. Car rides like a dream.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

DOA shocks? Sadly, I've been there, done that before. From AZ no less as well. Hence why I'm going with coilovers this time to see how it goes. Now if I can just get some damn time to finish setting them up. Boss man just took a massive project away form my co-working and put it on me because the job wasn't getting done. I actually asked him in the team meeting if I had done something to him in a past life that he was punishing me for. :banghead:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, was a almost tragic day. Dropped a nut in the head, and I couldn't find it. Started to source parts, but took a 5 cigarette/beer break, and my magnet that I broke to fit under the journal's finally snagged it. So it is all back together.... weee......
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Ok, wait, I know it's been a while, but I thought you weren't supposed to be smoking & drinking anymore? Oh and good work on pulling that nut outta the head, that could have been a real fun time.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:Ok, wait, I know it's been a while, but I thought you weren't supposed to be smoking & drinking anymore?
Hey besides those I wouldn't have any more vices.

On a side note, I bought a cheap am/fm/bluetooth radio from Wally World, and it isn't half bad. Spent more on the interconnect kit.
But the old VW head unit was getting very hard to read as the led's and display was blackening.

But now I have a Car Equipped Speaker/phone, that doesn't sound too bad....The Radio is clear enough and loud enough to enjoy, and as it doesn't have a CD player or Tape that is even better.... It does have a remote, and Caller ID, and you can bluetooth your Android or I-phone, as well as a AUX input, SD reader, and USB.... I am now out of the stone age and up with the hipsters. :)

When I mean cheap, it was 20 bucks, and the interconnect was another 6.... so here is my 30 dollar radio.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/XO-Vision-XD1 ... h/46488438
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

not bad at all sir.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Finally had some time to get the coils adjusted up on the cabby. Went on a mini vacation this past weekend to Tybee Island and then the rest of this week was spent at work and with our daughter who came down for a quick visit before she moves to Taipei for the next year. Yesterday was a recovery day from the week and today has been about getting some things done.

Cristine is about to take Crabby for a little tour of the town to see how she's driving. Have a bit of a cold start issue happening but it's something I'll look into as things go. For now she's almost to daily status ready and that's not a bad thing for a 4-6 year slumber.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

COOL, Taipei for a year, I bet she won't press 2 for engrish? LOLOLOLOL.....
Living overseas or being away from home makes you appreciate it more when you get back.

Fighting a stumbling issue on my blue, with the a/c running I can't get the idle to increase... Got it down to either a bad ISV, or ECU or the pins between, but am limited on my ability to work the issue out.....it isn't the relay, (swapped out). Don't want to think about it is the TC and stalling....
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Oddly enough, there are many there that speak English and if she wants, she can pick up a part time job teaching it. Besides Mandarin, English is the second most universal language spoken there. We are hoping she misses being back home though and this could also tip the scales in her not coming back. Due to the current political climate here, I can't blame her, I want out too.

Hrm, not familiar enough with digifart to guess at where the fault may be, but I can't see it being the TC. Otherwise it would prevent almost any other type of rpm increase from the engine with AC on or off. Unless I'm way off base here. I'm certainly no automatic expert either.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Had to replace a Expansion Jug Hose, first time for 1500 miles I have had to repair something on the Critter.... Dam.
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Thats not too bad Brian. I haven't been able to do much the last month or so. Been real busy, Cristine has had 2 business trips and then we had to go to Florida for her mothers wedding (not even going to get into that mess) this past weekend. I start the cabby every week just to keep things well lubricated. Hoping to get cracking back on things soon.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Now with five cars, I have to get creative about parking for the winter.

I used to have access to a barn, but sadly it was lost last year.

So now comes the creativity. First I had to rearrange the garage. I purchased two pair of car dollies, and (drum roll please) I am able to get three cars into a two car garage.

I still have room to walk through. :D
Attachments
IMG_2377.JPG
IMG_2378.JPG
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

LOL, reminds me of my Dad, We built a Big Porch, that was about 5 foot off the ground.
We put 2 Bug-eyed Sprites, and a 240z under it. I would roll it out to work on then roll it back. Totally enclosed and had Swinging Barn doors.

Good show......
Briano