The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: The past week in Car repiar

Post by Briano1234 »

Baby daughter called saying her car was making a bad noise.....she started the car, and put her phone around the engine.
Yep, the exhaust manifold is very very noisy...........

Ran it up to the muffler guy I use and it is the manifold is cracked, holed, or a stud or 3 is bad....
Thankfully I never got around to putting the g60 manifold on my cabby (never got around to making the dual down pipe) so I have it in-hand.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

If for whatever reason you don't do the G60, I'm pretty sure I still have the mani and downpipe for the good ol' toilet bowl. I know how much you love them :D
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I got Lucky... The number 4 Cyl upper stud was out, and the gasket moved.... Run to Napa and get the studly kit. Issue solved.... WHOOOOOT. Luck O'da Irish
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
gull

Post by gull »

I've got a new Mercedes CV drive axle assembly sitting in a box next to me. Been procrastinating that repair because it's a pain in the butt -- gotta drain the differential and remove the subframe mount and diff cover to get to the circlip that secures the inner axle stub. Probably will end up doing it next weekend.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

I've been a busy bugger this weekend.

87' Scirocco - Replaced the dizzy cab and rotor button & cleaned all the connectors from the plug wires. Replaced the front motor mount with a TT HD mount, Swapped out factor front discs and brakes for my old ATE Power Slots & Mintex Red pads. Car runs a hell of a lot better, but we still have to work on that stopping problem.

Hauled everything out of the garage today that had wheels so that I could fix the damned garage door opener on the left side. One of these days I'm just going to replace it, but so long as I can fix it in 15min, then it's not worth replacing.

After that, the Crabby Cabby was dusted off & fired up to let run for 30min to give the battery a bit of a recharge. After that, I took her around the neighborhood a bit and brought her back home. Reset all the damn radio options so the sound system sounded right again.

Then, I pulled the bikes in the garage and commenced to de-winterizing them. Also aired up the tires, checked all the fluids and found that mine almost had a flat battery. So, slapped it on the charger while I went to cleaning up the garage a bit. After that, I figured I had earned it and I went out for about a 70 mile ride on my bike. Got home and packed everything with wheels that goes into the garage back in save for the audi (I'll move it later). Slowly reclaiming the garage back from the mountains of crap. Still have some mole hills to clean out though.

All in all a damn good weekend. I got to work on my stuff for a change and it felt pretty damn good.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

While waiting for the color coat to dry on the van:

...I creepered under the Jetta to pull off the "fuel tank cover". One side had broken off the mounting stud (hopefully, the source of an annoying rattle), the other was about to be broken off. Hooray for plastic crap... :rolleyes:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Nice work. Sucks about the jetta, but sounds like it should be an easy fix? I really miss my Jetta :cry:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:Nice work. Sucks about the jetta, but sounds like it should be an easy fix? I really miss my Jetta :cry:
I miss my mind the most.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

kamzcab86 wrote: ...I creepered under the Jetta to pull off the "fuel tank cover". One side had broken off the mounting stud (hopefully, the source of an annoying rattle), the other was about to be broken off. Hooray for plastic crap... :rolleyes:
'

With your size on a Creeper under the Jetta, you probably didn't have to jack it up either.... I hate tiny folks.......... :mrgreen:
Briano

gull

Post by gull »

Briano1234 wrote:With your size on a Creeper under the Jetta, you probably didn't have to jack it up either.... I hate tiny folks.......... :mrgreen:
My biggest problem with creepers is making sure I don't run over my hair. ;)
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Calimus wrote:Nice work. Sucks about the jetta, but sounds like it should be an easy fix? I really miss my Jetta :cry:
Yeah, just had to unscrew the retaining washer. Every thread I found with the same issue, the question of "does the car require this gizmo?" went unanswered. :rolleyes: It's a $45 piece of plastic and as far as I can tell it simply keeps road debris from getting up in behind the fuel tank. I think it was initially damaged back when one of the tires I had to drive over on the freeway caused all the other mechanical damage to the car; it was probably merely cracked back then so no one noticed, and over time it broke all the way. To replace or not replace, that is the question!
Briano1234 wrote:With your size on a Creeper under the Jetta, you probably didn't have to jack it up either.... I hate tiny folks.......... :mrgreen:
Believe it or not, Brian, I did need to jack the car up. Even without the creeper, I would've required the use of the jack; it's simply too low even with stock suspension. The van on the other hand... :mrgreen:
gull wrote: My biggest problem with creepers is making sure I don't run over my hair. ;)
Me too... I have to double-check it's all under my head before starting to roll. :lol: :x
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, I took a look at my radiator leak around the upper hose, and could hear breathing when I mashed the hose.
Take the hose off the outlet flange. Took the Hose off the upper radiator and the last half of an inch of nipple came off with the hose.........
I hate plastic parts..............

Trying to source one, the only thing avail today was one from Napa or AutoZone, and they both had the 79-84 Rabbit Diesel mounting ears.......
DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNITSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Had to order on-line, as all the folks were trying to sell me a "generic" "oh it will fit" radiator that had mounting ears and not the pins.
Then they wanted between 130, and 250 for the radiator. WHOLY CRAP.............

The issue is that I have to wait a few days for the radiator in perfect but pollenated weather.
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Brian, I'm starting to think you are on a quest to rebuild your cabriolets from the ground up.

On my side of the world, the beetle is holding up great with it's A1 shifter bushing fix, so that's good. However, one of the instructors at the college I work at side swiped my A6 in the parking lot yesterday when she was pulling in. She left me a note, so no I just have to catch up with her so we can get the details ironed out. No dents, just paint damage (4 damn feet of it) so it's not the end of the world.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well at least she left a note.....
Briano