The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: The past week in Car repiar

Post by Briano1234 »

What a frigging pain in the ass. My knee started to throb, then shoot pain... Grin and bear it. I cut the back of my hand and the running blood was getting everywhere, Thanks blood Thinners...... Stopped popped pain pills, waited for the super glue on my hands to stop the bleeding...
Then It the new core wouldn't go back in I couldn't get it fully seated... I finally said take the Passenger side vent cover off, and I could move the flipper use my fingers to guide the core, and used my other hand to push the new core in to the recess.
Got it all buttoned back up, and the new cover plate made. Don't look too Irished... So Tomorrow, I go after replacing the knee bar, and the dash.. I got mad and took the dash out anyway besides I need the practice......

Then I have a new t-stat, radiator fan switch, and a new Fan relay or two, just for safe measures. I also bought freon, as I am going to take the ac off and replace the bracket that you adjust the belt tension with, then replace the belt for good measure.

Glad I have a free day or three to work on this.... But it is killing my knees.. I think the next thing I make is going to be a thin piece of plywood about 3 feet long and 12 inches wide with a 3 inch piece of foam over it, and cover it with vinyl... So my knees get a break.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by gull »

Yeah, I found getting the new core in a total pain in the tail, too...the problem is getting it lined up on the far side, since there's not much to guide it. When I was doing the job it was about 45F out and damp, I was working in an open carport and lying in the wet carpet in the footwell...not an experience I'm eager to repeat.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

To add insult to Injury, took it for a drive to work tonight to test it out, and the cable popped off the heater valve, I had no heat until I stopped it and opened the valve, now it is so toasty warm I was debating about taking the top down.

I will have to take a picture of the plate
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Nothing VA/Audi related this week. Helped add some helper springs to my fathers ranger so he can haul in some firewood Saturday and then today I installed fog lights in my sisters XB and I changed the spark plugs. She just got the XB right before she moved back from Cali last month and didn't have a chance to go over it all that well. Pulled the plugs and I'm pretty sure they were the originals with 80k miles on them. They were worn slap out and the gap was .067 and they are supposed to be at .032. New plugs in and the toaster is far more peppy.

I will say one thing for Scion. They make it very easy to add factory options later on in ownership. All the wiring for factory fogs is already in place. You just have to add the lights, relay and switch. No extra wires needed.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
gull

Post by gull »

I'm working on the Honda's timing belt job this weekend. Because of "as long as I'm in there" factors the job has expanded considerably, but it's a three-day weekend, so I haven't been in a huge rush and plan to finish buttoning it up tomorrow.

The final list will be timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, and lower left engine mount, plus a valve adjustment.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Frigging plastic POS parts.......I hate them I hate them I hate them...

Got a call tonight that my blue cabby was off of 400 smoking, and that a hose burst.. SHEIT.....
5:30PM I grab the leaky flange replaced a week ago and the upper radiator hose and run over to Roswell...
The Frigging NEW flange Had broken off. It broke completly off.... It wasn't due to the hose clamp as that was about 1/2 inch from the break.... FARGING PLASTIC BASTICH POS PARTS..

Replaced it with the leaky one, and drove the car home............then Shower and head off to work @ 8:25....
Now I gotta order a couple of them things.... I hate Plastic parts...........

May God find that cost reducing SOB at VAG and send a Lightning Bolt up his ass.
OBTW, that is the 3rd one I have replaced on the same car in the last 4 weeks....
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

How the hell is it that you go through 3 of them in 4 weeks and I've had the same one's on the sides of my cars for years? Did you piss of a leprechaun or something?
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

Brian I have 2 extra metal heater hose flanges I can send your way. I snaged them off some mk2s at the yard. Send me a pm if you are interested. I also found the front sensor holder that is has the digi sensors in it but I am holding on to that one because it is rare as hens teeth. I would be willing to send you a spare off a cis car if you like.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:How the hell is it that you go through 3 of them in 4 weeks and I've had the same one's on the sides of my cars for years? Did you piss of a leprechaun or something?
eric4321 wrote:Brian I have 2 extra metal heater hose flanges I can send your way. I snaged them off some mk2s at the yard. Send me a pm if you are interested. I also found the front sensor holder that is has the digi sensors in it but I am holding on to that one because it is rare as hens teeth. I would be willing to send you a spare off a cis car if you like.
I tell ya, it is a puzzlement..... Eric, thanks but the heater hose I have already replaced them with metal ones off a Diesel bunny. I know about the metal flange for the DIGI, and am going to look for find kill to get a couple so I don't have this frigging crap happening to me.....

William I tell you the new heater valve that I go won't turn with the cable.. The cable moves freely when not attached, so I have another new one I am going to replace it with...but that is for when I can get the flange replaced... I think I will order 3 of them... I asked NLS to make a metal outlet flange and they basically said thanks but piss-off.

I know if they made them and charged 50 bucks each I would be buying 2 of them..
I know they could sell a hundred of them at least.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Napa has 3 of them I am getting 2 of those kits..... :)
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

And the parts are in my hand as of 7:30am this morning, and where are they from?????????????????????
Made in Ireland...............
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

well, in that case, the will either work, or turn to shit right in your hands then. But then, that's been the course of your journey as of late anyway.

Rather surprised at NLS, but then, I haven't done any business with them, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised. Maybe you should give Gruvenparts a try. Hell, they are right here in Atl. http://www.gruvenparts.com/website/cart/

Worst they can do is tell you to piss off as well.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Didn't think of them, but email sent... I will let you know as I asked about all 3 plastic POS parts, both water outlet flanges as well as the t-stat cover, and heater valve.
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Hopefully they will bite on at least one of those.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well I got the Green Cabby all sorted out. Had to change the heater valve cable, and fix the heater controls in the cabin. Ended up taking the whole shooting match apart and polishing the slides.

Then repaired the console lamps that I knocked out..

under the hood, as I was taking the Throttle body tube off to access the heater valve I broke the grommet on that Valve cover and had to get a new one.
Then as I was replacing this;

That's the slider adjust on the A/C. I took the toothed one piece of shit off and replaced it with the older screw one as it is way easier to
tighten a belt, and I would like to meet the Engineer/Bean counter that decided to replace a working unit with the tooth gear from hades.

As i was tightening the rear allen, I snapped the dipstick funnel so back to napa....

Oh, I didn't stop because of blood, I just cleaned it up.... and muddled through.
Briano