The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: The past week in Car repiar

Post by Briano1234 »

sixsracing wrote:Hey, Bri....I have checked the grounds at the brake lights, all good and no dimness whatsoever. I have pulled the fuse for the brake lights and they still work, so does the defroster. So I put the brake lights fuse back in and pulled the defroster fuse, defroster inop. until I apply the brakes. Figure that out. Pull both the brake light fuse and the defroster fuse and then have no brake lights or defroster. Yay!

What does that mean? Darned if I know. 'Cept now I can't see out the rear window until somebody plows into me from behind cause they didn't know I had stopped. :mrgreen:
It means that you aren't driving a VW, You are driving a AMC now, as the Gremlins are attacking you. :D

You have a ground fault some where is what it means. Check all your fuses not just the specific ones.

Have you replaced your Battery to frame ground yet?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by sixsracing »

Checked for commonality between brake lights and defroster, found zip. Yes, ground to defroster is good. The defroster works fantastic actually. This isn't a major issue, she knows enough not to leave the defroster on. (cause this makes all the brake lights stay lit) The only drawbacks are:
A) When depressing the brake pedal the defroster works and lights up the indicator on the switch, yes, the defroster grid is powered when this happens.

B) The alternator is taking an extra hit to power the defroster grid every time she hits the brakes. I have extra alternators and it's been like this for over two years.

Gotta keep in mind, this is a $250.00 vehicle that she has driven every day through HS and now college. I only mention this cause you guys are so cool and won't stop looking till it is fixed. I appreciate all your time. I probably have 4 hours all together researching this and got nothing for my investment.

Thanks for all your thoughts.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

sixsracing wrote: I have pulled the fuse for the brake lights and they still work, so does the defroster. So I put the brake lights fuse back in and pulled the defroster fuse, defroster inop. until I apply the brakes. Figure that out. Pull both the brake light fuse and the defroster fuse and then have no brake lights or defroster. Yay!
If you pulled the Fuse for the Brake lights, and the Brake lights still work, then you are getting power to them from a different circuit.

If you pull the Defroster fuse, and they still work, then they are getting power from the defroster circuit too..

If you pull Both fuses they don't work at all.

Well I would have to say that someone did a creative job of wiring something in.

Do you have a Sub-amp in the car? Other wise I would say did someone wire a aftermarket alarm, and or a Stereo in the car? As the Defroster switch is a good place to pick up switched power to feed a aftermarket stereo, and or the sub amp or powered woofer in the trunk.

Because it sure sounds like it is crossed grounds and a back feed.

Have you tried to pull each fuse and see if it corrects itself. You would have to pull one fuse at a time. work no/work, then move on.

As the only place I can think there the grounds/wires intermingle is in the loom to the fuse box, and along the body from the fuse box to the trunk. This kind of stuff drive me batty, but I usually an knock it about with a wiring diagram.... I don't a later golf book...
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Yep, creative wiring was my conclusion as well. Normally I can straighten this stuff out in very little time. Aftermarket stereo is an affirmative. Nothing but a hole there when I got the car. I removed all of there um......engineering? Then wired one in correctly. There was some kind of equipment in the hatch area and that was cleaned up as well. I do not believe it is back feeding through the ground circuit. The previous owner found someplace to get power and was sneaky about it. Under dash or fuse box is correct. Can't find it.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Nine days into the new year and haven't needed to work on any car yet. wooooohooooo.
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

If you keep counting, things will start breaking :eek:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
gull

Post by gull »

Had a plug come off an unused vacuum nipple on the '88, causing it to refuse to run below 2,000 RPM. Funny thing is it seemed like a pretty tight fit when I put it back on. I put a clamp on it, this time. My theory is the car backfired, probably while being started, and blew it off. Also fixed the windshield washers by replacing the switch and the hose.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, Tuesday the cabby's heater blower seemed to go Kaput.
Finally got around to looking in to it.
Not the Switch
Not the relay
Not the Fuses

What it was is the connector that comes up from the heater fan switch to the harness of the motor. It is burneded up....Sooooooooo I think I have a spare harness assembly, now I just got to find it.

Damned connectors... got it temporarily fixed by cleaning it and forcing it together... (tighter) but it is a pain in the ass to get this large assed individual into that small a area....... Or at least wait till warmer weather and take the seats out.....
Briano

CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Now that the weather seems to have stableized (read getting a little warmer) It is now comfortable to do some work in my garage. That means it is time to start fixing all the little (annoting) issues that have accumulated on the Topless Bunny In particular, I need to replace a broken Bowden cable in the driver's seat.

I am starting to count the days untill I bring the project car home from the barn whaere it has been hibernating since last fall. Then I can get to work and finish it.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Took the bunny out of the Garage, and gave it a Bath inside and out.
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Finally fixed my issue w/traction control in the A6. Just had to pull the steering wheel and re-center the clock spring since it has a steering angle sensor in it. Took me about 15min and bam, no more idiot light bitching that the car thinks it's making a turn when going straight.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:Finally fixed my issue w/traction control in the A6. Just had to pull the steering wheel and re-center the clock spring since it has a steering angle sensor in it. Took me about 15min and bam, no more idiot light bitching that the car thinks it's making a turn when going straight.
Cool..................
Briano

CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Well the Jetta is giving me a little grief.

Seems to be using too much fuel and the CEL is illuminated.

So Friday I broke down and bought a VAG-COM.

The VAG-Com reports that the Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor has failed. Now all I got to do is get one, and figure out how to replace it.

I wouldn't mind so much if it wern't so damn cold -30 C this morning.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

CalAltaDubber wrote: I wouldn't mind so much if it wern't so damn cold -30 C this morning.

Well in a word, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Briano

CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Briano1234 wrote:
CalAltaDubber wrote: I wouldn't mind so much if it wern't so damn cold -30 C this morning.

Well in a word, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Yup! And there is no way I am crawling under the car until it warms up.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image