The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: The past week in Car repiar

Post by gull »

On one of my cars the selector didn't work, and the arm was popped loose. I think people bung them up during radio installs.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

gull wrote:On one of my cars the selector didn't work, and the arm was popped loose. I think people bung them up during radio installs.
No only that but I couldn't figure out why the mounting tabs were broke on mine untill I broke one,,,,

If you don't remove the 2 control unit screws that connect it to the dash, then when you wiggle your arm in there to disconnect the speedo cable you will snap them things.... I know as I did it twice (different cars). It was the second one when I fingered out why.

Removing the mounting screws allow that control unit to float down to accommodate those with "POPEYE" for arms.

Now I have also seen where the slide arm for the a/c can "pop" out so you can't control the a/c coolness, and that I fixed by removing the plastic arm, and placing a was under it to raise it up a wee bit.

But on a happy note, I got my Thermostat changed...

On a sad note, I can't adjust my a/c belt as I lost my 13mm articulating self ratcheting box......

On a sad happy note, I get to buy a new tool :)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

This weekend was "get to know your A6" time. I replaced the 2 transmission mounts that the PO told me were shot. He was right. They weren't busted all to hell like many I had seen pics of, but they were very worn out. Replacement was easy and the end result is a trans & engine that are far better aligned and sitting about 1/8" higher then they were. This also equals much smoother clutch engagement. Well, as smooth as a stage 3 clutch & lightened flywheel can be.

Also found the car isn't leaking oil. It's hemorrhaging power steering fluid. Seems Audi like to put their PS racks up top and in this funky hollowed space between the 2 firewalls (yes, 2 firewalls). So what looked like oil on the ground was just PS fluid that was cleaning all the road grime outta the engine bay. Best part, there are no rebuild kits for the rack, it has to be replaced. But at least it doesn't cost and arm & leg. $350 will fetch me a remand rack shipped with 3 year warranty. I'm checking to see if this source has cabby racks too.

So, once this damn rack business is over, I should have a very healthy A6 and should be able to turn my attention back to the A1's.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

But Power Steering Racks are a Pain in the Ass to change no matter where or what they are on.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

This is true. I've been told it will take 4-5 hours for replacement. Most of that time is getting at the hoses and one massive PITA bolt. Sure has hell beats having to remove the engine though.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Actually, Toyota Tacoma 4X4 p/ups are easy. Everything right where you can get at it. Bet I can do one in an hour. :mrgreen: Worst I ever saw was a 126 chassis M/B (300D) two firewalls, in between them. Not good.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Yea, that's how the A6 is. 2 firewalls, but I think this won't be as bad as what you were describing. I'll be sure to let ya know how it goes when I get to it.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
gull

Post by gull »

Here's a tip I wish I'd known a few hours ago...

When swapping a speedometer from a non-tach cluster to a tach-equipped cluster, you have to swap the circuit board inside, too. It apparently runs the dynamic oil pressure warning system, which tach-equipped VWs have and non-tach ones don't. Without it, your oil pressure light won't work. Now I gotta pull the cluster again...
gull

Post by gull »

Also, in the "assume nothing" category -- the wipers on the '88 only worked on high, and didn't self park. I puzzled over this for a while until today I finally realized some knucklehead had removed the intermittent wiper relay. Substituted the one from the '89 and, sure enough, the wipers work now. Guess I need to run to the junkyard again!
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

Probably one of my old retail customers took it out. I can't tell you how many times I had somebody step up to the counter and hand me a relay saying "I need one of these, it clicks when I turn the key on and my car won't start" I would politely (not really) tell them that it is supposed to. Then thank them for coming and ask them not to do it again (step into my store that is). The response was almost always the same. I would get a call from the next parts store down the street asking me for the exact same relay. You have no idea how glad I am to be out from behind the parts counter on a Saturday. :banghead:
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
bbrown
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by bbrown »

Prepping the danger Ranger to come back home to Maine. I flushed the radiator and filled with new coolant, changed the oil and filter, ditched the warm weather windshield washer fluid for some subzero grade stuff, installed new wipers, cleaned the intake manifold, cleaned and charged the K&N air filter, finished the exhaust up by adding a new cat (the old ones were gone) and routed the exhaust to the stock locations instead of a turn-down under the bed to meet Maine laws. I think the old truck will get me back home alright, but its going to be an interesting drive. 2000 miles and no cruise... They say that type of stuff builds character, we will see. :rolleyes:
~Buster

1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8 5 spd.

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
gull

Post by gull »

Heh, could be. One of the previous owners of this car definitely seemed to be of the "if you don't understand it, remove it" persuasion.

Figured out the relay I found rattling around on the floorboards was the hot start pulse relay. The car isn't exhibiting any real hot start problems other than the usual ones these cars have, but I plugged it back in anyway, figuring it would do more good in the relay panel than on the floor. Given how massively rich this car was running when I bought it, it's possible the relay was pulled because it was doing more harm than good.
gull

Post by gull »

Heads up: Be careful with those power brake booster check valves, guys. They're old and brittle, and they're no longer available from the dealer. Fortunately I think I can fix mine with epoxy.
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

Just grab one off another V-Dub at the yard next time you're there. Actually, I'll bet NAPA or Carquest have them in one of their help catalogs. If you can't fix it and you can't find one, let me know. Mine's not going to need any power brakes again. :rolleyes:
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
gull

Post by gull »

I tried NAPA and Carquest, and they didn't have it in their catalog. They did say if I had a VW part number they might be able to cross-reference it, but there are no numbers on this part(!)

It's got two small hose nipples on it, and I broke one, so I just epoxied over the hole and I'll use a tee off the remaining one. They both connect to the manifold (non-valved) side, so it should work fine.

The level of brake effort on these cars is surprisingly high without power assist! This is on the automatic Cabby, and I was really having to stand on the brake just to keep it from creeping.