plastic trim with snap for boot

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Dennishawn

plastic trim with snap for boot

Post by Dennishawn »

I had my top replaced. I have a question for you all. There are two little plastic parts (somewhat triangle in shape) on each side of the car that have 2 screws in them, one is a screw/snap combo in which you snap on the boot cover to when the top is down.

They were taken off when the vinyl was replaced and when we put them back on I can't remember which one is the snap and which one is just the screw. Can you guys look at the side of your car and tell me?

I think the screw is the one closer to the front of the car. I think the screw/snap is the the one closer to the back of the car. I cant put the top down yet to try the boot cover as I want the glue to set a few days, or maybe this would tell me.

Hope fully you understand my question. I have tons of pics of Cabriolets but one that zoom in that close. I think I am guessing correct but i want to be sure.

The top I purchased from M + T does look good and the shop I had it done at did do a great job. (he said he prefers the EZ on tops though) I have not put the top down yet, so I only know this, so far. I will say, M + T did not send me the correct rear cable which caused a delay and more cost to me with rental car which I was unhappy about, but they rushed me the correct part and apologized.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: plastic trim with snap for boot

Post by Briano1234 »

snap goes on the back.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Dennishawn

Post by Dennishawn »

thank you

well today i tried to put the top down and of course it wont go down
seem's like one of the support beams (above your head if u were sitting in the back seat) is hitting the top of the window preventing it from folding down.

also when i put it back up, on the sides right above the plastic pieces i asked you about, the vinyl has all dimpled and wrinkled
this is the spot i see that looks the worst on replacement jobs, the spot i knew he wold screw up
Dont those 2 screws go right thru the vinly to keep it down in place when you fold the top u and down? whats the secret here? i take it back to the shop monday and i am trying to stay calm as i already paid the man
thx
Dennishawn

Post by Dennishawn »

here is a pic
Attachments
HPIM0974.JPG
HPIM0974.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 4062 times
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Dennis, that snap is but just a cover to trim out the material.. and they can wrinkle....... most are.

The other issue I would pop the strut off, and see if a strut is binding,, those are the most common cause of the top not going down.

If it still isn't right, then TAKE IT BACK.......
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
vw_nick
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by vw_nick »

on my '84 I was missing the rubber inner-tube like straps that pulled up the flopy tubular bow towards the back when you folded it, so it would get bound up and I would have to reach back there and grab it each time I lowered the top... that may be your binding issue.

as to the wrinkle at the corner there... it looks good to me, I have yet to have one come out perfect in that area.. maybe Brian has input there since he's done quite a few more tops than I have.
Nick
Dennishawn

Post by Dennishawn »

The bar that goes accoss the top, (above your head if you were sitting in the back seat) was hitting the window/frame when you tried to put the top down. When he reattached the the headliner to it I think he tied it up wrong. He fixed it. As far as the snap covers... When I took my originals off, both screws went right through the vinyl top. This keeps it down and in place and does not allow much wrinkle. They looked perfect new and they could now if it was done right. I had him try again, and they are better. I give up though, none of these places have much pride in their work and once they have your money they couyld care less.
The wrinkles I had looked bad, but the picture posted here so big i dont think you could tell. All is well at the moment except for a small drip of water on the back shelf. I insisted he use a lot of glue inside the window seal as I have redone my own before (with aquarium glue). I think I will ignore it for now, my blood pressure is high enough!
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by gull »

Dennishawn wrote:All is well at the moment except for a small drip of water on the back shelf. I insisted he use a lot of glue inside the window seal as I have redone my own before (with aquarium glue). I think I will ignore it for now, my blood pressure is high enough!
Try to figure out if the leak is between the seal and the window frame, or between the window and the seal. The latter is more common than you'd think, especially if they re-used an old seal. The "flowable silicone" stuff that's sold at auto parts stores works well for fixing leaks between the glass and the seal.

You may also find the window seals better after you've had the top down on a hot day a few times. The heat and pressure seem to help seat the rubber.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force