What would you do?

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

speedtek
What year is your cabby?: 1982

Re: What would you do?

Post by speedtek »

Thanks, it's good to be back around...... 8)
I just know shit..........
my (really) old cardomain
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by sixsracing »

Quite a ways back, say 1986 or so I set up an '84 GTI with sidedrafts and a large cam. We were very happy with that car. Dropped the cat, went with a pre-emissions exhaust manifold also, with some kind of trick downpipe. Don't recall the brand. We were looking for low end so we left the valves stock and planed the head a few thousandths. If you do this your gonna want a clutch and lightweight flywheel. Maybe you already have, don't know your car. I would absolutely do it again. It is breathtaking to look at and the sound is amazing. Cold weather can be frustrating though. Let it warm up good.

My .02 for what it's worth.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Well, if you have fixed the head issue, then leave well enough alone.

However, if you just have to have more power, 2L 16v swap running Digi-1. Reason for the digi-1 over CIS-e is this. You can chip digi-1 for N/A, when/if that gets to being not enough, buy turbo parts and just re-chip the Digi-1 for boost.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

sixsracing wrote:Quite a ways back, say 1986 or so I set up an '84 GTI with sidedrafts and a large cam. We were very happy with that car. Dropped the cat, went with a pre-emissions exhaust manifold also, with some kind of trick downpipe. Don't recall the brand. We were looking for low end so we left the valves stock and planed the head a few thousandths. If you do this your gonna want a clutch and lightweight flywheel. Maybe you already have, don't know your car. I would absolutely do it again. It is breathtaking to look at and the sound is amazing. Cold weather can be frustrating though. Let it warm up good.

My .02 for what it's worth.
Cool, thanks for the input. Yes I already have the big cam, 210mm Sachs sportset clutch and lightened flywheel, euro cast manifold w/TT dual downpipe and full 2.25" exhaust...so everything else (along with the performance engine build) is ready to rip. I'm leaning pretty heavy on going with the carbs atm, can't wait to see and hear it in action. :thumbup:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

speedtek wrote:I've solved the head gasket issue once and for all (hopefully). Trouble was, I am running way too much CR and too much advance for the stock gasket to handle. (I also kind of accelerated the process this spring when I had the advance really cranked for a month :oops: ....long story, let's just say, don't rush when reassembling and always double check that everything is hooked up properly..LOL). I bought a 4 layer steel 2.0L gasket from England last month and that should hold pretty much anything I throw at it. 8)
If you have any more issues, check into replacing the head bolts with Raceware studs. They're the trick thing for the diesel guys when they're running lots of boost.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm thinking the steel gasket should do the trick. I also just bought an MSD 8980 timing computer to go with the MSD 6A ignition (that will be bought soon) as I have to run a fixed dizzy with the carbs. The timing computer should resolve any erratic timing issues once and for all. 8)