Nick, I got the fix for the oil cooler

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Nick, I got the fix for the oil cooler

Post by Briano1234 »

While I was driving back form BAP I too noticed that my oil Temp was approaching the red zone. (80 mph) cruising, and after I placed the a/c on a bit it got even closer until the fan dropped the temp on the radiator.

I was wondering if I too needed the proverbial oil cooler...and I thought on the connectivity issue that you were discussing.

Then as in all my fixes I was working on my garage door opener and I had a Eureka moment while I was puttering around the other day, I possibly have the solution to your oil cooler issue.

Where you were going to connect it to the bottom of the flange and JB weld in a hose.... I got the Idea.

Better, buy two "T" fittlings either copper or pvc, and place then in line with the heater hoses.

Then run hose back to the oil cooler from the "T", far easier and more secure from vibration leaks, and we all know that the flanges break at the Ears so you wouldn't need to have a spare all rigged up.

The heater is usually blocked off in the summer by the valve so minimal coolant flow occurs and the connections spliced in to the heater hose will act as a by-pass in the non heat days taking some of the pressure off the heater core, and still flow coolant around the cooler.

If I remember right they make a hose "T" that you can get at the "HELP" section of your favorite auto parts supplier. Also you may beable to find one at home depot in the lawn sprinkler section.

Hope this helps a bit......
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

Interesting idea there Brian.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
vw_nick

Post by vw_nick »

Might be worth looking into... just install the cooler with the nipples pointing to the distributor side.. add some heater hose and it should be all set. You could even patch into it with minimal coolant loss during installation if you use a pair hose-pinch pliers at each side of the splice.
Nick
gull

Post by gull »

Hmm...only problem I can see is that the coolant flow through the cooler wouldn't go through the radiator, if you did it that way, since the heater circuit bypasses it.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, actually I think on things, and come to optical conclusions. One of them was that as we were driving back from BAP, as soon as I turned on the a/c the temp gauge shot way up there hovering between the 120 and red hot. No Biggie turned off the a/c and presto it went back down.

So I got to thinking, and I think I have it fingered out. The PO took off the snorkle for the airbox. So basically the Air Box was getting hot air off the radiator fan, talk about ram air.....

So I am attempting to resolve the oil temp problem.

1. I have replaced the oil pump with the beefier one have good pressures, but the temp still is hotter than I like.

2. Reconnect the Snorkle assembly I have to locate one first, and will probably make my own....cooler air is a must.

3. I purchased a Oil cooler assembly from a wrecked Volvo Turbo, I got the sandwich plate and the lines and the cooler..... 13 bucks. Since it has an external radiator I will not experience the oil/water intermix.... and since it is also thermostatically controlled I will get more consistant oil temp. I figure that it will only be about a pint difference in an oil change, and If I could get it a tad higher on the car, then a oil change will let the oil in the cooler seep back into the pan. So I am glad to have the parts cabby to figure out the optimum configuration and integration on my blue cabby....

Conclusion to the story is that the Green one that has the Snorkle on it for the air box runs cooler, so since they are identicle now save for the snorkle that has to be "it" as it is getting the inlet air at engine compartment temps, and the turning on the a/c causes the radiator heat to be forced in to the air box.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
BigDaddy90Cabby
Exploited Staff Member

Post by BigDaddy90Cabby »

your the man brian! how ya been?
Jimmy
1990 Cabby
Corpus Christi, TX

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigdaddyjimmyjam
"That's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny!"
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

BigDaddy90Cabby wrote:your the man brian! how ya been?
Pretty crappy, number 2 daughter moved back home.....
but that leave number 1 son and number 2 daughter the only ones here, since school is out then that means number 1 son is home all the time................

:)
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Nick,

If you splice the Radiator hose that comes out of the radiator jug that is half of the water jacket, and then you splice into the by-pass hose that completes the loop.

They make the hi-temp splices that are avail for sprinkler systems that has "t" fittings of different takes........

My side thought that I have to splice the by-pass hose to drive home.

Still trying to figure out where to mount the oil cooler that I have. Trying to get the ting to a free-flow area... Then routing the hoses, but I haven't found a good place to locate the exchanger..........
Briano

gull

Post by gull »

The bigger oil-to-water cooler used on the Touareg and Passat seems to be all the rage with the diesel Vanagon folks, these days. Part # 028 117 021 E. Same basic design as the stock oil-to-water cooler, just bigger.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Re: Nick, I got the fix for the oil cooler

Post by Briano1234 »

Nick, ebay auction

item number 190198307323

That is what you are needing....
Briano