Creating your top side cables

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Creating your top side cables

Post by Briano1234 »

Go to the Hardware store and buy the following:

8 foot 1/16 SS or Galvanized Steel Cable.
8 foot 1/16 ID UV resistant Vinyl or Silicone tubing.
4 1/16 ferrules.
1 foot Flat Brass Chain

Start by cutting the cable and the vinyl tubing in half. and cutting 2 links off the flat brass chain.

Take a ferrule and thread it on to one side of the cable, then place the chain not the flat side on the cable loop the free end back to the other ferrules side, pull the long side tight, make sure that the chain is in the loop and that the bitter end of the chain is inside of the ferrule.

Then using a AMP tool or a pair of pliers compress the ferrule.

The cable should not have any strands of wire sticking out of the ferrule.

Cut the Vinyl tubing to 36 3/4 inches.

Slide cable inside of the vinyl tubing till it stops at the ferrule.

Thread the next ferrule over the free end of the cable and then loop it back and pull tight.

The total length of the cable from the end of the brass chain to the end of the loop is to be no greater than 37 1/2 inches and no less than 37 1/4 inch. You may have to slide it all apart and back together again, till you get the correct length. Again make sure that there are no bitter ends or strand of wire outside of the ferrule. What I do is to get the length correct, then cut the cable and slide it in to the ferrule.

Compress the ferrule.

Last thing is to take a Center Punch and widen the flat chain to go over that stud on the front frame by driving the punch through the chain in to a piece of wood, then working the punch back out.

Now you have made a new Top Cable that is Vinyl clad and with the brass chain it won't break bend at the front.

Enjoy

I have added this already to my replacing your top guide.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

ohhhhhh, purdy
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
badpenny
What year is your cabby?: 1983

Re: Creating your top side cables

Post by badpenny »

would you advise using coated cable? They sell it at home depot for the same price as uncoated. Is this advised or advised against?
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Creating your top side cables

Post by Briano1234 »

badpenny wrote:would you advise using coated cable? They sell it at home depot for the same price as uncoated. Is this advised or advised against?
Which ever floats you boat... coated or plain and tubed the idea is to prevent chafing of the vinyl top...and corrosion of the cable.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: