Keeping your shock bolts loose

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Keeping your shock bolts loose

Post by Briano1234 »

Well I am sharing my secret for keeping your shock bolts loose and free in the shock mount. I wrap the bolt in Teflon tape, then smear the tape with never-seize prior to putting the bolt back in place. Over the 20 years that I had a diesel cabby, I only fought that bolt one time... that was originally taking the shock bolt out. I never had to fight it again after my mummification of that bolt.

Too good fixing

Briano
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

Thats the rear shock bolt right Brian? Looks like it anyway. But yea, thes things can be brutal to remove. Especially if they haven't been touched in 16+ years.

Now in my case, I didn't use the teflon, but I do have a jar of never sieze that gets put to a lot of use. :P
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by 1lowcab »

thats a good idea on the mummification!
those bolts always know how to piss me off!!! :x
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Well I got all the rears and the front shocks mounted, and ran into a little snag. The pad on the front drivers side was almost gone.......... there is less than a 1/16 of a inch left on the pad. Not to fear I ran to Pep's and got a new set...

When I went to put them on, they were too wide for my caliper. I took the caliper and the bracket off the parts cabby and they were too wide there too.

I finally took the pads off the parts cabby as it was about 1/4 of an inch
left, and used it, when I toolthe replacement pads back it dawned on me, that the pads I got were for a single solid rotor. As I have the vented as most cabbies do, it would of never fit......

So be warned that if you are getting pads check the thickness before you leave the store.

Today I start the removal of the manifold down pipe, and starter...........

And I am going to check this ones timing and crap out and see where the marks are on it and apply to the Blue........................
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: