This is why I never Schedule Crap.

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

This is why I never Schedule Crap.

Post by Briano1234 »

After confirming my reservation for B-A-P, and reserving a hotel, here is my Typical Luck O' Da Irish.

Well, as the title suggests, let me tell you of my current woe's.

My Daughter was driving the Green Cabby (Lean Green Shit Eating Mochine) to Baltimore. Well It seems that the roads from here to Charlotte are really crappy, and my Motor Mount (passenger side) gave up the ghost, not really a problem untill.... A BONE JARRING HOLE was encountered. It seems that as the engine was bounced on the bad mount, it came down and broke the Manifold/Down pipe connection not a problem either... Till....The hot exhaust gas had a bee line to the Starter.............................

Well She stopped for gas in a non-well-lit-up area.....Vagrants/homeless/illegals were harassing her...
Wouldn't start with shorting the relay.

Good news My Daughter has a friend that went and fetched her while I was heading north with the wife...

We got about an hour north, and the number3 daughter called and said that she had finally got the car started and the friend had arrived to take her to his house.

Great.....

We Get there at 3:30am I start the car and hear the clink of the exhaust as it is hitting the body...feel the vibration, and see the hood vibrating...So I knew in a moment what had gone on.... ps, the 3 hour cooling allowed the car to start right up...GEEEEEe Mr. Wizard.

So with time slowly slipping away to B-A-P I get to repair the Green one prior to doing anything to the blue....

Parts arriving next week:
Starter
manifold
down pipe
2 strut cartridges
2 rear shocks.

ps I have the motor mount...

Her Friend that was driving up later today left 20 minutes before I did, and was there waiting... Why couldn't my daughter wait 1 more day...................... Kids, gotta love them because you can shoot them.

So if you were tooling around Charlotte and spied a Green Cabby, around The Plaza road at 3:30am, that was I....

Smile Alls well that ends well I suppose.

Except for the Grief I got for letting my daughter drive an "un-startable" car......

And I still have the head gasket to replace on Blue

Now you know why I don't usually make schedules..........I Jinxed myself again. :( :)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by 1lowcab »

damn, i think you should never loan your cabs out again, keep them under lock and key!!!! :D
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

1lowcab wrote:damn, i think you should never loan your cabs out again, keep them under lock and key!!!! :D
I am pretty sure that is the real message you are being sent.
Best of luck getting everything fixed up nicely.

(kuklaki under Calimus signon)
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, the shocks needed replacing, and the rest is unscheduled.... soooo I gave her the car on condition..... She dinks it up, she pays............but the title always remains in my name.... so i can repo it when she is being an ass. Besides, the reason is that I know these little beasties, and if I have to work on them, I want the kind that I like, and a Turbo-Diesel is too much for her... :)

I should of kept my Diesel rabbit................

Besides we all know that the weakest link on these is the 1 Motor mount and the Crappily designed Manifolds....

And who in thier right mind would place a starter in a Non-Air Producing area next to an oven...

I have decided to change that by running some sort of Ram Air from the grille to the back side of the starter.... as that only makes sense, why vw didn't do it originally I don't know.......as that should insure longer life for the thing.............
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I have a update, from yesterdays progress.

I have replaced the Blues head gasket, the original has a leak, and I found out why, there where 3 bolts that didn't have the same torque to break loose, and from the old gasket that is about where there were evidence of leakage from the number 2 cylinder.

Sooo I have it fixed.. and getting it back together.

Enjoyed a visit from William..................

Found my exhaust leak, some one replaced the exhaust stud on Cylinder 4, and used a too small stud, so there couldn't get a nut on it. I saw 3 threads and filed a nut and presto there is now a nut on the manifold.

So tomorrow, I should have the blue one back together, and have Green one on the road to recovery.........
Briano

1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

And who in thier right mind would place a starter in a Non-Air Producing area next to an oven...
i always wondered why in the hell they did that!
have decided to change that by running some sort of Ram Air from the grille to the back side of the starter.... as that only makes sense, why vw didn't do it originally I don't know.......as that should insure longer life for the thing.............
thats really a pretty good idea! let us know how that works out.

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I am frigging happy, the new manifold from tt came in and the the down pipe too. The starter came out with ease, and the manifold all the studs but one came out, I had to cut one off as it was rounded. and there was one stud that was missing...

So I have called it quits tonight I have to get some new studleys tomorrow. I
should have it all installed by noon........ then off to see the muffler guy....

The manifold had 3 cracks, one between 1 and 2, one at the meeting of 2 and 3, and one on the underside right above the starter..

The flex pipe on the down pipe has a hole there too.. so all in all it shoudl be good to go.

And for 250 for the down pipe and 150 for the manifold, they even included a sticker... I'd of loved a t-shirt...........
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I found manifold studs at my hardware store, gotta love them... they had 6, and that is one more than I needed, as the studs on 3 backed out, and the one stud was missing, then there is the one that I had to grind off.... so it is 9:00amEST and I am reassembling.......yeeeehaw. I have had 3 cups of coffee since 8, and a half a pack of Marlboros. I am all set now barring any unforseen problems....
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Got it all finished and have taken the heat deflector to a new extreme... I bent the lower heat deflector to grab the ruffled underside air below the oil pan to deflect it about the starter... cool..............
Briano

1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

sounds like that starter should last a life time, good job.

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well since I have 2 autos, I have two different solutions for you. Since I have installed a new 4 to 2 g60 manifold and a TT dual down pipe, I needed a way to shield my starter, and my power steering rack. What I did was sandwich the down pipe between two pieces of 1/16 stainless steel, and on the lower or outer metal I bent it to scoop the air blowing under the oil pan to ventilate the starter. The upper piece I used to keep the heat off the p/s rack.

I used number 6 X3 inch SS screws nuts two lock washers (one for the head and one for the nut) and a ss nut. I drilled a hole between the two down pipes and used the screw to tighten it all down. It didn't vibrate and it seemed not to make any noise at 60......... Whether it is and effective cooler is yet to be determined, but it should in theory.

Hope this helps.......

Just a side note, the tt dual down pipe has the o2 bung on the passenger side for a 90 series, so you have to take the o2 sensor connector out of the holder and wire the cable out of the way of the down pipe, but it does fit.

here is the manifold

http://www.techtonicstuning.com/images/ ... 51.101.jpg

here is the down pipe minus the short shifter

http://www.techtonicstuning.com/images/ ... 51.223.jpg
Briano