Online Store?

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Tuneses
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Online Store?

Post by Tuneses »

I'm going to order a new top for my Rabbit this week. I've been researching Google and Ebay as the usual suspects. Anyone know a good site for tops. I'm looking at a good price and quality. If it matters any i'm looking for a black top for 82 Rabbit and I also need it to have a plastic window as my glass one is way too scratched to use. When I bought my bunny it was sitting in the trunk :(. Thanks for any help.
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

Kammy has sources listed on http://cabbyinfo.com for tops and most everything else Cabby related. Check there also for top installation instructions.
Be sure to buy a new rear cable from the top supplier or the dealer, opinions vary about rear cables.
The side cables as sold and shipped by the vendors are simply bulk, galvanized cable and aluminum ferules that you must measure, cut and crimp yourself. Better quality 1/16" stainless cable and aluminum ferules are readily available for less money in the garage door opener section of your local hardware store, ACE IS The Place!! Lengths are listed in the instructions found a cabbyinfo.com.

Decide on the condition of your headliner and padding. Most of the top must be removed to replace the headliner and padding. Top vendors also offer headliner and padding.

The rear window is not part of the top per se. It's frame is a functional component of the top frame assembly, the window fits into that frame. Tops come with no rear window cut out at all, cutting the hole is one of the most nerve wracking parts of the job.
The window glass itself is very easily changed out at any time, 10 minute job the 2nd time around. Replace the glass with the top or any other time you choose.
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

You'll regret fabricating a plastic rear window; over time you won't be able to see a thing through it and it'll decrease the value of the car (should you decide to ever sell it). Not to mention, the way the rear window frame is designed, to install a plastic window you'd have to attach it directly to the top's window cut-out which could lead to water leaks into the trunk. Used rear Cabriolet windows pop up on eBay frequently, or visit a local VW graveyard for one. :)

I bought the entire 3-layer top from M&T Manufacturing; I highly recommend them. :beer:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Or know someone who has one...... I just don't know if all the elements of the defrogger work.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

i have a good spare rear glass sitting here if you need one, let me know if ya want it.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Tuneses

Post by Tuneses »

Thanks for the info guys :)

I was worried about messing up a top by trying to put in the window myself is why i was looking at tops with built in plastic windows. I guess i will just have someone do it for me or brave it.
Tuneses The Driving Cat
82 Topless Rabbit
02 Beetle Turbo S
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

You won't find any tops with the rear window pre-made or cut for the cabby. Or any other car that originally has the window frame. Replacing the top is an all day job if your choose to do it yourself. My average is about 6 hours from start to finish... but then I am looking at my 5th replacement coming up... there are tricks, thatthe forrest king doc and some other don't mention. But I will gladly share my thoughts and observations on it.....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

please share briano as i will be replacing the top on mine soon!
the more hints and tips i get the better.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

well fist you have to trim the extra material a bit, then hte other big thing is that you have to slice the top where the rear cable leaves... and But if you can wait, I will be doing my top on the Blue car, and I promise to take pics.
Briano

Tuneses

Post by Tuneses »

Oh. This sounds alot more complicated that I anticipated. I don't know now if i wanna just take it in or what. I'd really hate te pay 500+ bucks for something and ruin it. Is it easy to F it up?
Tuneses The Driving Cat
82 Topless Rabbit
02 Beetle Turbo S
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

I got my replacement top from Cabrio World and installed it myself.

There are links to some good top replacement instructions here:
http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~kaw5/howto.htm

There are a few tricky bits, but it's hard to really screw it up to the point where you ruin the top. The most critical skill in replacing mine was knowing how to walk away, go have a beer, and think things over for a bit when I started to get too frustrated. ;) If you watch carefully and take pictures as you remove the old one you'll be ahead of the game, because the new one goes on just like the old one comes off. It's really satisfying to look at the finished top and know that you put it on there yourself.

By the way, it's perfectly possible to drive the car around with no rear window at all until you're ready to put one in. The new tops generally come uncut. Until you cut the rear window opening the car is weathertight without the rear window. For me the rear window was the most intimidating part because it meant taking a knife to my new top. ;)
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force