Easy screwing while upside down

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

montmil
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Easy screwing while upside down

Post by montmil »

No, it's really not some kinky deal... Had to replace the worn out HVAC blower unit on my '86 Wolfster - three times actually but that's a sad story in itself. Anyway, the continued practice made me quite adept at remembering where all the sheet metal screws go. Mostly, they go way up under the dash area in difficult to access locations. Even with the seats out and some dense foam pads protecting my spine from seat latch damage, it was a struggle keeping the screw and washer balanced on the end of a crosspoint srewdriver. Lots of dropped srews and foul thoughts about German manufacturing techniques. Finally wised up and used a tiny spot of LocTite super glue to hold the screw on the driver. So simple it only took me a few hours to figure it out.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Easy screwing while upside down

Post by Briano1234 »

montmil wrote:No, it's really not some kinky deal... Had to replace the worn out HVAC blower unit on my '86 Wolfster - three times actually but that's a sad story in itself. Anyway, the continued practice made me quite adept at remembering where all the sheet metal screws go. Mostly, they go way up under the dash area in difficult to access locations. Even with the seats out and some dense foam pads protecting my spine from seat latch damage, it was a struggle keeping the screw and washer balanced on the end of a crosspoint srewdriver. Lots of dropped srews and foul thoughts about German manufacturing techniques. Finally wised up and used a tiny spot of LocTite super glue to hold the screw on the driver. So simple it only took me a few hours to figure it out.
I have always used black electrical tape to tape the washer to the screwdriver, if the reach of my self starters (locking screwdrivers) was exceeded, never thought of super glue for that.....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

By the thread title, why did I think this had to do with activities involving Cabbys and roll bars??
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

Good tip.

Another useful one, in this vein -- when installing bolts or spark plugs in recessed locations, a piece of electrical tape placed inside the socket, on one of the flats, adds enough friction to keep the bolt or plug from falling out. Used to use that one all the time when installing plugs in my aircooled Bus.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

Those wonderful Latex gloves we all wear while working on cars have many other uses besides keeping our hands pretty.

That screw that wants to fall off the screwdriver? Cut a finger off a glove, slip that over the screw and screwdriver, poke a hole in the end.

You're gonna really like this one........
The exhaust manifold nuts on the top studs, #2 and #3; drop a nut into the middle finger of a glove, put the glove on. Work the nut around to where you'll be able to manipulate it with your fingertip, poke a hole in the glove through the center of the nut, magnetic fingertips!! Once the nut is started a turn or two, pull back, the hole in the glove will expand and pop right off the nut.

One more; tape a glove over the radiator filler if you suspect a head gasket failure is pressurizing the cooling system, start the car. It takes very little pressure to start inflating the glove.

Ok, another one more, while checking cylinder leakage with a leak down tester, tape a glove over the tailpipe, another over the throttle body, watch for inflation.

And one more special for special friends or loved ones; put two gloves on one hand, take them off and tape them to your friend's tailpipe just before they leave for work or wherever, hide like a kid where you can watch........ :twisted:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Very good info Ron. However, that last line is pure evil :twisted:

I like it.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

Naw, not evil, just mischievous........ :twisted:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

I admit, I was suckered in by the thread title... :P

Am I the only one who uses magnetic tools for those hard-to-reach, without-fail-the-screw/bolt/nut-is-going-to-fall situations?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

No, you are not, I have a screwdriver magnatizer/demagnetizer that I used frequently
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: