Those pesky Side Cables

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Those pesky Side Cables

Post by Briano1234 »

I am looking at my 5th top replacement in the next couple of weeks, as soon as I can get my garage cleaned out.. don't believe me ask William..

I have been giving thought to the side cables and how prone they are to breaking over the years as the cable is bending, and such, that the strands when they break and seperate chafe the top and pierce the Vinyl and cause the crack to start at the bend points. There has to be a better way...

So I started thunking on it and I think I have the answer.

I ran to the hardware store and got 6 foot of 1/16 Stainless cable, some 1/8 id vinyl tubing and swedges and some flat brass chain.

Why brass because it corrodes but dosen't rust.....

What I have come up with is to use the brass chain at the attachment point on the front of the top and it will only be 1 or 2 links that you need, to then loop the cable in a loop of chain. This takes the pivot away from the cable and allows the chain to pivot on itself. This way the cable cant bent and become broken.

My plan is simple the cable tension from the spring on the rear will hold tension to the chain keeping it in the groove of the teat on the frame.

Then by attaching the cable to the chain the chain will in effect become a hinge.

I may even try that at all the bending point of the top as the chain is no wider than the swedge.

I plan to cover the cable with 1/8 id vinyl tube to allow it to slide a wee bit I also plan to grease the cable in the tube to make sure that corrosion is held in check.

I have frozen that vinly tube in my freezer and it dosent' appear to become brittle at all.

So in the next week or two I will let you know how it turns out.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

Interesting, indeed. I'd be curious to know how it holds up in the long term, as the strength between the cable and the chain would be a significant difference. Copper is a soft metal, no?

Still, though, you are always coming up with new ideas. I have to give you credit with that.
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Brass not copper, that is a tougher metal than you think.............. :)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

Whoops sorry I dont know why I didnt read that right. :oops:
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Besides I am only using about 3 links, as that is the usual breaking point of the cable,,,, near the swedge...
Briano

gull
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by gull »

I think the grommit where the cable passes through the top frame, near the rear window corner, also bears examination. They get a groove worn in them and I think this allows the sharp edge of the top frame to eventually cut the cable. It might be possible to punch that grommit out and replace it.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I will have to check that out when I go to replace my top hopefully in the next few weeks.... yes I know it is cold, but with 2 1000 watt halogen spots in my garage it can get up to 80 in there :)
Briano