not sure where to post this...but i need friends to listen

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

maushaus
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

not sure where to post this...but i need friends to listen

Post by maushaus »

as many of you know, owning a cabriolet is a love/hate relationship---lots of blood, sweat, and tears...i, like many of you, have done most of the work on my car myself...when someone else did the work, it was usually my son or my husband...i have saved for parts, thought out every modification and i suppose i will always be far from finished...

like many weekends, this weekend we took her to a show...show and go in new jersey...i never expect to win there, because they have only two classes where she can go and neither really "fit" her...one is cabriolet mod, where most have engine or other major mods---or stock 85 to 98, which groups her with many newer, fancier dubs...i just go to talk to people and have people stop and look at her which is the most fun anyway...

however this weekend my pride was hurt a bit, and i felt like the judge knew nothing about vintage vw's...he asked me very little about the car---scoffed at my rabbit badge, saying "you can't consider this a rabbit, it has a soft top"...he groaned at her 8V engine and let me know i had lots more to do before she was worthy of a serious look, then walked away...

i never expected to win, the cars in my class out-classed me easily, they were quite beautiful...however, having judged at waterfest and other shows myself, i don't think it is necessary to insult a car and their owner...

thanks for giving me a place to rant...this really is not like me, but i was feeling a bit sad...

peace, kelly
"Mice used to live in it...now I drive it"
87 Cabriolet
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Well what can I say to tell you that we still love your car....I am sorry the judges are such an ass. Most are Air cooled folks that can't see past the ends of thier noses.

Don't wory it is better to rant here than go postal elsewheres.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Well Kelly, based on what you said, the judge didn't have a clue what he was talking about. The Cabriolet is a modified MK I Golf (Rabbit in the US) and certainly older ones (pre '85) do have the Rabbit badge for that very reason.

Second, when a judge makes remarks like that, they are either biased or just plain ignorant! Either way not really qualified to judge.

Having said that, it is to late to have the judging redone. But I certainly would write a complaint to the show organizers explaining your point of view. By doing this the organizers will respond to you, but more importantly, they will think twice before asking that individual to judge again.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

I am sorry that you had someone so ignorant judge your car. I've seen and admired photos of the maushaus-all of your hard work definately shows. Dont let his bone-headedness make you feel bad. We should all be so lucky to have a Rabbit (yes! R-A-B-B-I-T, you asshat judge) as clean as yours.

I agree that you should send feedback to the organizers of the show. The judge's job is not to make rude remarks about the entrants in the show. I dont care what the condition of the car is in, it deserves respect-whether it is in progress, beautifully stock, or modified. But comments like his are uncalled for as a representative of the show, and the organizers should know about it. If he doesnt know about the category he is judging, he has no business doing it.

Your Cabbit is A-1 in my book!!! 8) :wink:
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
RydnShotgun
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by RydnShotgun »

Sorry to hear about this. definitely complain to the show organizers...

it seems to me that this type of thing is becoming more common at these larger shows. pretty much everyone that i talk to has negative feelings toward the judging, and as a result people with some really show worthy cars are shying away from entering. This year at H2O they did a public call out for judges... which meant that any asshole could be a judge of something that they potentially know nothing about. and the lack of knowledge showed. one of my friends was entered, and when the judge came around he clearly knew nothing about modified VW's. this car has a lot of custom body work and engine mods that went completely unnoticed... but the judge did notice that the headliner was a little bit dirty, which is probably what cost him first place.
maushaus

Post by maushaus »

first, i love this forum...

second, i thank you for the kind words and support...i really needed to off-load, and am feeling a bit better now...

i feel respect and admiration for anyone who restores, builds, modifies, drives etc. one of these cars...regardless of how i feel about their project artistically... i can't expect everyone to feel the same way...

perhaps tonight i will send an email to the show organizers...

thank you again,
peace, kelly
87 Cabriolet
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

:o That's outrageous!! Judges like that need to be a taught a lesson: a VW lesson and then hanged in the nearest public square (okay, maybe that one is a bit over the edge). You can't be a fair judge in a car show if you know NOTHING about the very damn cars you're "hired" to be judging!!! I'm usually a quiet person, but I guarantee you that if that motard had said those things to me, he would've received an ear-full. :evil:

I agree with everyone else: Make a very loud statement to the event organizers. Hell, if there's an official thread/section on Vortex for the event, do it there too. There's nothing worse than public humiliation and there are probably quite a few others out there who were treated the same way.

Whether she wins awards or not, the maushaus is definitely a winner in my book! :wink: 8)
Caddycabby

Post by Caddycabby »

Dang, stupid people suck

my two cents :D
No chowder for you, cause clams have feelings too.
maushaus

Post by maushaus »

Caddycabby wrote: stupid people suck
sad, but true...
87 Cabriolet
maushaus

Post by maushaus »

had to post this!!!
this is a photo of the judge for my class...hope he isn't related to anyone here...he is the dancer in the center!!!

peace, kelly
87 Cabriolet
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

That says it all. He's a wanna be Audi tech, they have no respect for the VW side of the family :P
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Well, that certainly explains a whooooooooole lot: A) Youngster who doesn't know his history (strike 1), B) Audi "tech" (strike 2), C) looks like he'd prefer to be hangin' with his homies at the local break-dance joint than be at a car show (steee-rike 3, he's OUT). :lol: :?
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Please, Please, I don't like the term "Audi Tech".

The term Tech infers that he knows something.

Call him an Audi Fan, Audi Lover, anything but Tech or Technician. :)
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »