Lower Radiator hose/ Thermostat

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Lower Radiator hose/ Thermostat

Post by Briano1234 »

Well last week I had a mysterious pin hole prick in my lower radiator hose that caused all my radiator fluid to Drain out at 50mph, I watched the oil pressure get really low, as the oil temp was really really up there somewhere between 140 and 150.....but the car wasn't missing or strained.

I pulled over and found a gas station, dropped 75 cents in the water machine and was treated to buttkiss.

I went to speak to the operator of the station and he only spoke Hindi...ARGGGGGGGH so eventually I found an outside water spigot and a Gatorade jug to refill my radiator, and drive home. I left the cap loose, the car returned to normal, the oil pressure rose, the oil temp came down, and the car was running cooler....

The next day I got a new hose, Thermostat a 180, and seal

I popped off the hose and only a trickle came out of the end, then I removed the thermostat and about 1 cup of liquid came out..... Wonderous

I did find out one little trick, you don't have to remove the power steering pump, just the rear bracket, and that was 4 bolts.

I drilled two small holes in the Thermostat to prevent air bubbles, and filled the sucker up.

Started it and everything is working, no extra noises no ticks...nada....

I figured that when I placed the new crank in the engine I Slick 50'ed It and drove it about 1000 miles and changed out the oil.

Slick saved me an engine again, I cannot tell you of the wonders of this product.... my 81 rabbit drove 75 miles with a broken radiator, I didn't know it, and the car was running fine found it the next day....on the lift while getting a flat fixed.

Drove my car 24 miles with a broken radiator jug in the middle of the winter there was no heat.

My wife drove the diesel from Atlanta to Mobile and back with the oil cap off. There was only a splash in the pan and a full filter of oil..... with no problems.

Slick works, If you doubt me try it yourself and see, the only think I have ever noticed is that the Oil Pressure drops a bit after you apply it.

I looked at the Lower hose and there is a pin hole leak like someone Pierced the hose with a nail or something. Now funny thing is that was a new hose.......... Interesting.......
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
tolusina
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Lower Radiator hose/ Thermostat

Post by tolusina »

Briano1234 wrote:......Thermostat a 180.......
If the car is DigiFant and you discover idle issues, change back to the stock 87°C unit.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

I agree with ya about the slick 50. I've used it for as long as I can remember. I've seen it save many cars, trucks and bikes.

There is a slight drop in oil pressure, but it also generally lowers engine temps all around as well. It's a god send in the summer, but can kinda suck when paired with water wetter in the winter. My rocco doesn't produce enough heat in the winter to heat up the cabin even on a 30 mile trip to work.

It's good stuff.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

Calimus wrote:.. My rocco doesn't produce enough heat in the winter to heat up the cabin even on a 30 mile trip to work....
What thermostat are you running in it? I don't recall which colder unit I tried in my '79 Rabbit, I clearly recall the heater was totally inadequate with that colder 'stat even here in mild California winters.
With an 87°C 'stat in my Cabby, my top is only up about two dry days a year due to cold, heater is great.

Oh yeah, Brian's hole in the 'stat trick was once in an internal bulletin from the VW region, it suggested a single 1/8" hole in the outer section, install with the hole up to purge bubbles during coolant re-fills. Diesels were notorious for air pockets.
One tech figured if a single 1/8" hole was good, 1/4" holes all the way around would be even better. That diesel ran so cold on long downhills, it would start to clatter severely, just like diesels always do when started cold.