How much do you weigh?

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

speedtek
What year is your cabby?: 1982

How much do you weigh?

Post by speedtek »

OK, OK, not you specifically, but your cabby. I've done pretty much everything I can to shave weight off this little sucker and after having the chance to weigh him today I am very happy with the results. Went out to the local dump (they use a scale to weigh vehicles coming and going) and we rang in at 1075 Kg. If you do the conversion, that works out to 2370 pounds, subtract my hairy butt from the equation and Taz weighs in nicely at 2160 pounds all by his lonesome.

so....anyone else here weight concious about their cabby? Anybody lower? If you are, let me know what you did to get there....always looking for a good trick to reduce the flab (on the car..... :P )

PS: measurements were taken with half a tank of gas.

Taz = 2160 pounds
I just know shit..........
my (really) old cardomain
PutingVW

Post by PutingVW »

a good way to lose some weight is to take out the engine! ;)
speedtek
What year is your cabby?: 1982

Post by speedtek »

Unfortunately, that solution does nothing for the acceleration........ :P
I just know shit..........
my (really) old cardomain
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

I chattede with someone once that said they got the cabby down to 1800'ish lbs.

To do that, they went with a brail battery relocated to the trunk, completly stripped interior. The only seat was the drivers and it was a light weight racing seat.

All trim removed, things like the inner fender liners, carpet, sound deadening material, seat belts, you name it, it was gone. he had showed me pictures of the car, Was a bit drastic I thought, but he used it for autoX. So I guess it worked for him.

Wish I could remember who it was, where I spoke with him or where I put the pics.

Certainly not trying to deminish your efforts, but it takes some serious gutting to get the car much lighter then where you are. So I'd say that you've done a great job getting Taz's weight down.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
tolusina
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

weight and reduction....

Post by tolusina »

Jeff,

I note you weighed with half a tank, maybe a full as possible tank next time, then calculate to dry weigh using info like I found at
http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-21281.html

"Depends on the API gravity of the gasoline, which varies by grade and refinery. Usually, regular unleaded gasoline has a gravity of around 58 and a weight per gallon of 6.216 pounds per gallon. Premium gasoline may have a gravity of 54, or 6.350 pounds per gallon."
According to Kammy's site, Rabbit Convertible fuel capacity is 10.6 gallons, Cabriolets hold 13.8.

An A1 weight reduction trick I read somewhere, an ABA starter from an A3 or A4 is supposed to be a direct fit, 10 to 15 lbs lighter, gotta be a Good Thing™ removing weight from the front. I'm maybe making a Pick and Pull visit this weekend, this is one of the items on my list.

Ron