bit of a belated update

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

cabriaulait
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

bit of a belated update

Post by cabriaulait »

hi yall,
ive done loads lately, all a bit stressed so no photos
i found that my fuel filler neck had rotted out, whilst taking mother in law out for the day.
i pumped £20 of 'gas' on to the garage forecourt, throught the hole i had just made with the hose nozell,
since then ive made a new one from a tintop neck, which are four times cheaper than cabby ones, but required alot of angle grinding and some 38mm rubber hose,
fitted new fuel pump and filter

it ran like poo for a while but is now going ok , not perfect but ok, got a diagnostic tune up booked for 2mo.

as soon as i discovered my fuel neck i whacked a huge magnet outside on the lowest part of the fuel tank, then left it for 24hrs and picked up the rust that was collected there with a smaller magnet
from the lift pump access, im hoping this has saved me from injector fouling which i dont suspect has happened but will find out 2mo

wish me luck.....
87 cabriolet quartett edt work in progress
tolusina

Re: bit of a belated update

Post by tolusina »

cabriaulait wrote:....as soon as i discovered my fuel neck i whacked a huge magnet outside on the lowest part of the fuel tank, then left it for 24hrs and picked up the rust that was collected there with a smaller magnet
from the lift pump access.......
Absolutely BRILLIANT!! I love it! You've just given an old dog a new bark!! Thanks!!

And, hope it does trap the rust, Good Luck!
cabriaulait

Post by cabriaulait »

when i opened the tank at the pump lifter there was a pile of rust exactly the same size as the magnet and about1/8inch deep, the tank was clear

i was pretty happy, i used the magnet off an old 16inch bass cone.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Is there a screen on the intahe to the transfer pump (I seem to theink there is supposed to be one) ? If so I'd either clean it out or replace it. and It wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel filter too.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
cabriaulait

Post by cabriaulait »

yep there is a screen thats was super clean too

i changed the fuel filter when i did the rest, ran it for a week

im having another fuel filter fitted at the moment in case of crud left in the pipes and its being diagnostically tuned right now....

get it back at 3pm (an hour from now)

im some excited mate i got a feeling shes gonna FLY,

if not im gonna clean some spare injectors ive got and try that