Sure OEM parts cost more, but this is just silly.

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Sure OEM parts cost more, but this is just silly.

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Here is one for all of you.

A few weeks back I noticed the connector on the Positive battery terminal had badly coroded over the years. I decided that I should change the whole cable rather than just the battery connector.

I called my local VW dealer and was informed that the Positive battery cable for an '87 Cabby was still available, but would take two days for delivery. Now comes the kicker. The price was $148. no that is not a typo, $148. This is a 16" long cable with a battery connector on one end and an eyelet on the other.

After hearing that I went to my local Canadian Tire Store, where I found a 16" battery cable with what I consider to be a much better connector for... Not $40, Not $15. But $6.49

With sales tax included the thing is still under $7.

I called VW customer Care and explained that although I prefere OEM parts, and I understand that OEM parts do cost a bit more, but there was no way I could justify paying 32 times the auto parts store price for a piece of copper cable.

The rep. opened a file and they are supposed to respond. That was in early May. :roll:

BTW: for the benifit of our US friends Canadian Tire also gives you 3% in Canadian Tire Money, which is best explained as play money that is good for merchandise in their stores.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

back when I first got the rocco, parts were almost impossible to find (and still are to a point). So I made the mistake of driving the 30 miles to the dealer to see about some parts. What a mistake. It seems that rocco parts at the dealer come in 2 price flavors. $250, $500 and $1000 with very little in between those numbers.

So, I was sure to find every on-line source that I could.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

You know that $45 rear top cable you can get from CabrioWorld and the like? Nearly the exact same thing, minus the lock nuts mind you, costs $142 at your local VW dealer. :roll: :evil:

They don't call 'em "stealerships" for nothin'. :?
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

I think I once saw a single cooling system hose for a diesel Vanagon quoted at $460. This was shortly before it became NLA.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

kamzcab86 wrote:
They don't call 'em "stealerships" for nothin'. :?
You got that right!!!
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

kamzcab86 wrote:You know that $45 rear top cable you can get from CabrioWorld and the like? Nearly the exact same thing, minus the lock nuts mind you, costs $142 at your local VW dealer. :roll:
And Let me tell ya from first hand, OEM rear cable is the only way to go..... the TMI / CABRIO cale Sucks major ass.........
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

But you gotta admit Brian, $148. for a battery cable is just a little too much. :roll:
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Simply outrageous is what it is.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

CalAltaDubber wrote:But you gotta admit Brian, $148. for a battery cable is just a little too much. :roll:
Yep, but ya gotta remember that if you own a 1990 that cable lasted 16 years, so if your new one lasts that long 148/16=9.25 per year... :)

I do know that alot of manufacturers jack thier prices up for the old cars so they don't sell any and can justify the non-ordering of said part.

Now if you have a business license and go to the dealer you would see about 1/3 of that.

Still too much for my blood tho.....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Briano1234 wrote:
CalAltaDubber wrote:But you gotta admit Brian, $148. for a battery cable is just a little too much. :roll:
Yep, but ya gotta remember that if you own a 1990 that cable lasted 16 years, so if your new one lasts that long 148/16=9.25 per year... :)
Sorry Brian but using your logic here the auto store part can be used and replaced annually for less. $6.49/year. Since the Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) is probably so high the the auto store part will probably last 10+ years without a failure.
Briano1234 wrote:I do know that alot of manufacturers jack thier prices up for the old cars so they don't sell any and can justify the non-ordering of said part.
No, they just raise prices because they know that people will pay that. I can bet that some "bean counter" that hasn't got a clue what the part is sets the price.
Briano1234 wrote:Now if you have a business license and go to the dealer you would see about 1/3 of that.

Still too much for my blood tho.....
Yup It is just a matter of setting up a parts account at your local dealer, but still most parts are overpriced.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
speedtek
What year is your cabby?: 1982

Post by speedtek »

We just replaced the passenger Axle on my bud's 92 GTI before we left on vacation. I got him a complete axle assembly for $79 from the local parts store (I get a discount). He called VW just for smiles to see what they wanted.............

$1000

words fail me............
I just know shit..........
my (really) old cardomain
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

speedtek wrote:We just replaced the passenger Axle on my bud's 92 GTI before we left on vacation. I got him a complete axle assembly for $79 from the local parts store (I get a discount). He called VW just for smiles to see what they wanted.............

$1000

words fail me............
You should contact VW Customer Care and mention that too.

If people don't complain, they will charge outragious prices!
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image