Crabby Cabby scheduled for another operation

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Crabby Cabby scheduled for another operation

Post by Calimus »

Welp, seems that some lifter tick is back. The car had this back when I first got it running, but since the motor had been sitting for the better part of a year, I figured the lifters would loosen up and they did.

Now, at least one is just plain tired and is singing loudly while the engine is cold. So today's order was 8 new lifters and a new cam seal. Chances are they won't be here in time for this weekend, but rather the one after.

And then she will go under the knife again.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

ohhhhhh nooooo besure to give it ether to knock it out... :)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Yea, I've got some ether for it. A 5lbs mini sledge.

It's all good though. One of these days I'll actually do some work to my own car for a change.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:Yea, I've got some ether for it. A 5lbs mini sledge.

It's all good though. One of these days I'll actually do some work to my own car for a change.
My brother had a car like that and to free it up he ran a qt of ATF in it for about 30 minutes or so, then drained all and it freed it up..
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

I ran some Marvel Mystery Oil in it to give it a hand in freeing up. Didn't work for very long.

Issue is, it's very noisey when the engine/oil is cold. Once it's warm/hot, it shuts up. Either way, I don't feel like dealing with a cam replacement in the near future. Least not yet anyway. So, I ordered the lifters.

I'm thinking the acumulator might also being going to pot as yesterday we had the cab parked on a hill (nose pointed up) and when we fired her up, she acted like she couldn't get enough gas. Once she was level, the issue went away. I found that a bit odd.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Time for a digifart?

If it was a digifart then I would say the fuel pressure regulator was leaking back to the tank..... Don't have a clue as to the CIS :)
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

If I'm not mistaken, the Fuel Accumulator is basicly the CIS version of the presure regulator. Save for it's back under the car by the damn pump. I'm pretty sure I have a spare, so it's something to try.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

William,
Calimus wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the Fuel Accumulator is basicly the CIS version of the presure regulator.......
The fuel accumulator is actually more of a muffler and a surge or pulse suppressor so the injectors get a nice, smooth, consistent fuel flow through them.
It is a pressure accumulator, Bentley states it helps maintain residual pressure. Looking at the cross sectional view, it looks to be a device to store volume and pressure at a spring controlled level, the fuel pump check valve looks to be the component that prevents fuel flow back through the pump.
I know of no accumulator tests aside from replacement.

The actual pressure regulator is on the fuel distributor itself.
The fuel pump check valve, um, it's on the fuel pump and repaceable separately if you can find one.

I've seen chopped/cut o-rings in the regulator, also lots of check valves with broken springs. Given the age of these cars, a failed accumulator wouldn't surprise me either.

The off level stuff does sound odd. I'm wondering about the weather there lately. Has it been real hot? That plus a quick shut down after freeway running can cause underhood heat soak and fuel percolation out of the injectors. The symptom is pretty much a vapor lock, except the high fuel pressures CIS uses quickly run any percolated air bubles right on through.

Might be a good time to check fuel pressures, there are several to check. Cold and hot control pressure (checks control pressure regulator), system pressure (checks the valve in the fuel distributor pic above) and residual pressure (checks the check valve, accumulator pressure and the integrity of the pressure regulator above).

Ron

<edit> dang it, server just went down, pretty pictures don't show....</edit>
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Pictures are showing now and thats a lot of good into there Ron, thx.

The more and more I deal with this car, the more I'm thinking abou rebuilding the 16v thats coming out of my rocco and dumping it in the cabby along with the Cis-E. The fuel system on the cabby has been a PITA since day one and it's continuing to stay on my nerves.

Then again, I also haven't thown a lot of new parts at the fuel system. Maybe it's time to try that.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
dubchickshubby

Post by dubchickshubby »

My temporary "solution" to this very same problem is a switch that interupts the power to the O2 system relay. When the 87 CIS Cabby acts up and stumbles while idling (it's essentialy going way rich), flipping the power off results in a stable idle. Once back on hte road it acts as if it's got a govenor on it. Restoring powere to the circuit results in a "NOS Light"-like return of power and gas mileage.

I'll be replacing the TTS switch since it's the only thing left to try!

Parts swapped so far in the past year:
Fuel filter
Primary filter (next to the tank above the fuel pump)
Primary fuel pump (in tank)
vacuum lines
knocked out the cat guts (looked clogged)
Rebuilt the motor (after 170K, why not?)
Fuel pump
Fuel Dizzy
throttle body
fuse block (old one was corroded from obligetry antenna water leak)

Every time something was replaced, it acted as if it had a new lease on life, only to return to the dismal performance once again...

Next stop - excorsism!
Her car, my tools. It's all about sharing!
///Ocean State Dubs
'87 red/white Cabby
'92 Triple white Cabby(an 8V decked and overbored nightmare. 303 Cam baybee!)
Moljinar

Post by Moljinar »

Calimus, I did a photo-how-to on the pressure regulator in the Tex's Cabby FAQ . There is a rebuild kit from VW that has all the new orings and washers you need. About $11 if I remember correctly. And make sure you own a 16mm wrench. It's the only 16mm bolt head on your Cabby!! :lol:
...Hammer of the Gods...
Buffy - '85 Cabby
Claire - '90 Jetta GL
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Good info. I've kinda been in a VW funk as of late. I haven't worked on the rocco in over a year (or close to it) and I don't really feel like dealing with the wifes cabby either.

I know I'll snap outta it, just need to get some other things in life taken care of so that my mind can drift back to the cars.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

Calimus wrote: and I don't really feel like dealing with the wifes cabby either.
And I dont feel like cooking you dinner, either :twisted:
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

kuklaki wrote:
Calimus wrote: and I don't really feel like dealing with the wifes cabby either.
And I dont feel like cooking you dinner, either :twisted:

Gee and the other day yall were like peas and carrots....... :)
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Notice that she used a :twisted: rather then the :evil:

The funk will end, it just has to run it's course. I think a lot has to do with the fact that the few local VW friends I had have either moved away, or never call. Kinda takes the wind outta the sails a bit. However, I'm sure it won't be too much longer till I'm Mr. Fix-it again.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C