new roof piccies

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

cabriaulait
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

new roof piccies

Post by cabriaulait »

we finally saw the sun last weekend so myself and a freind replaced the top on my cab, i didnt take as many shots as i wanted cos we got a bit carried away, we followed the guide on this site and it works!!!
i think it was the first time the roof had been changed so was a little bit nervous about what we d find but thankfully nothing much was rusted too bad,
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/ ... car030.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/ ... car029.jpg

this one shows the lug that the side cable tensioning spring clips to, also note the little hole that we eventually discovered the cable runs through, the rust in this shot is about the extent of it, we treated all the rust as we went so now im pretty confident that my car is RUST FREE!!!!
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/ ... car031.jpg

the finished result.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/ ... car033.jpg

man am i chuffed

the whole job took two of us about 8 hrs and alot of beer, no really alot alot, without beer i reckon two could do the job in 6hrs assuming nothng goes wrong.

to seat the rear cable i used a shot filled lump hammer and hit it alot unfortunatly i missed and dented the rear wing, that was the beer again

so the biggest thing i learned about top replacement is i drink too much!!

hope these shots can help and if i can offer any advice not that i can remember much of the job, feel free
87 cabriolet quartett edt work in progress
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Looks excellent! Thanks for the post and the pics. I think the more folks make these kinds of posts, the less others will be scared to tackle this job themselves.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
foursixthree

Post by foursixthree »

Very nicely done.....Mabey i'll try it when it comes time for me to do mine. Alot of other things first though. But looking good
cabriaulait

Post by cabriaulait »

i must say that before we started i was pretty anxious, its not something i have any experience in, (i restore old windows for a living) but really once you get going and have done your research i.e the thread on here and the vwvortex faqs, its not that hard , however i wouldnt like to have done it alone you need 4 hands for sure and get the damn wrench, i did and it really makes the difference.
the rear cable is crucial to the overall appearance of the hood, the hood needs to be absolutely central before and during fitting and then as you work from the middle out keep the hood tight towards each rear window pillar and forget using clothes pins or the suchlike when pushing the cable in, next time i will craft a bolster out of something strong, heavy plastic would be ideal.

for me to get this fitted professionally i was looking at paying around £500. i got the hood and cables for £81 it was cheap because it was a second althought the only mark on it was tiny and you wouldnt see it unless you really went over it in detail, so with the wrench, glue and beer it worked out at £110 and a days work.
if anyone is contemplating taking this job on, just do it, its not that hard, in fact i had more trouble replacing my brake drums and shoes.
cheers
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

good job!!
i will prolly do mine when the time comes... but i'll be scared as hell!
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

1lowcab wrote:good job!!

When ever I get around to putting on the new top on the bunny, htat will make my 3rd top... I am getting pretty good at it, unfortunatly.

Maybe this one will professional...after all the third times the charm, or is it 3 strikes and your out?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Nicely done! :thumbup:

Calimus wrote:I think the more folks make these kinds of posts, the less others will be scared to tackle this job themselves.
I'm still taking mine to a shop. :D
gull

Post by gull »

I'm looking at doing this this summer. Thanks to a vandal mine's cut all the way through -- outer shell, insulating pad, and headliner. I've seen a few sets of instructions for doing the outer shell, but I've seen very little info on replacing the headliner and insulating pad. Is this just because it's obvious once you get the shell off?
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

Briano1234 wrote:
1lowcab wrote:good job!!

When ever I get around to putting on the new top on the bunny, htat will make my 3rd top... I am getting pretty good at it, unfortunatly.

Maybe this one will professional...after all the third times the charm, or is it 3 strikes and your out?
Do they make GOLD tops to match your balls?

wait...er, ummm that didnt seem to come out right, did it?? :oops:
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Don't know, maybe i should of asked before I bought my new white one...

Dam .... that would be Killer.. :)

ps, I went to the doctor the other day for a physical, and he didn't mention a thing about my gold balls...

Maybe they are just that common after all :)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

LOL.. gold balls...that'll never get old!!! LOL

maybe when the time comes to do my top i can make a trip to GA and get briano to give me a hand with it. :D
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

gull wrote:I'm looking at doing this this summer. Thanks to a vandal mine's cut all the way through -- outer shell, insulating pad, and headliner. I've seen a few sets of instructions for doing the outer shell, but I've seen very little info on replacing the headliner and insulating pad. Is this just because it's obvious once you get the shell off?
http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~kaw5/howto.htm :wink: . If I knew German, I'd have factory instructions up there as well... someday I'll get 'em translated.
gull

Post by gull »

Wow. Looks like replacing the headliner just about doubles the complexity of the job.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
cabriaulait

Post by cabriaulait »

i think you should be able to change the headliner fairly simply once the tops off, look under the parcelshelf by the wings, the headliner is attached by being stretched over metal lugs, when the tops removed , the headliner is attached on the header bar at the windscreen. thats all i can offer sorry!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

cabriaulait wrote:i think you should be able to change the headliner fairly simply once the tops off, look under the parcelshelf by the wings, the headliner is attached by being stretched over metal lugs, when the tops removed , the headliner is attached on the header bar at the windscreen. thats all i can offer sorry!

I usually take the headliner loose at the bottom to assist with getting to the cable from hell. But it does increase the time it takes to put a top on,, that is about all watch how you take your old one off and put the new on xactally the same.

The rivets at the front corners are the really only problem.
Briano