A tale of Taz

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

1lowcab
DropTop Pimp
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by 1lowcab »

yeah the adj timimg gears are fun, i like mine! when i first got it i messed with it alot, tried all the settings, and i think thats where i have mine set too... i'd have to look tho, i can't remember.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
speedtek
What year is your cabby?: 1982

Post by speedtek »

As a sidenote, Taz has been tearing up the streets for the last couple days. I can't believe how good a job I did tuning him this winter...he is running FLAT OUT AWESOME!! (thank you, thank you :lol: ). Here's a shot from behind over at my buddies place, we went out and raced shortly afterwards. He beat me, but I was actually able to keep up not bad at all. Far better in fact than even he thought I would be able to.

What's that you say? Taz can't even beat a lowly 16V GTI Golf? Ahhhh, well...if it were merely such a creature...Taz would dispatch it quickly and efficiently. Unfortunately, this particular GTI is hiding a very nasty secret in the form of a 265HP Audi TT VR6

He's currently having computer problems as the car keeps setting all kinds of codes (the engine still thinks it's in an Audi TT), so the fuel is cutting out at 5000 rpm. Even at 2/3rds power that thing is "paste your eyeballs" fast. It was a damn good race, but he took me by 4 car lengths. Oh well....LOL :lol:
I just know shit..........
my (really) old cardomain
lowredcabrio

Post by lowredcabrio »

wow!
Lukai
check out my cabby here
|c|a|b|b|y| My Anti-Drug
thingmon

Post by thingmon »

you may have mentioned it but I'm impatient, what kind on HP/torque numbers do you think you've achieved so far? Have you dyno'd it?
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

I've only done two passes with my GTech and the runs averaged out to 98 HP at the wheels. At the moment my clutch is still screwed up and it is very difficult to shift with any speed at all, which is dropping the figures. I'm hoping to see at least 110HP at the wheels once I get that fixed and I can do a proper run. Based on those figures, I'm guesstimating around 130+ at the crank which is not to shabby for an all motor 8V that was only rated for 76HP at the crank when it was new.
thingmon

Post by thingmon »

Sweet. I'm drinking the coolaid... mmm, that Audi motor would look good wedged in my old girl... Imagine being smoked by a W/W/W cheerleadermobile. Now, that's priceless.

should we call you Baron Von Shtuping now? (nothing like corrupting corrupted German!)

Looks better every time I see it. Keep 'm coming.
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

Well, this isn't so much a build-up at the moment as a tear-down...but sometimes we gotta hurt the ones we love. :lol:

Taz has been shifting poorly pretty much since I got him a year ago, but lately it's been getting worse. It's always been like the clutch won't completely disengage and is holding a slight pressure making it very hard to shift at rpm. I called to book an appt to get him looked at today, but once the guy told me I was looking at spending min. $800 I decided that maybe it was time to take matters into my own hands.

First things first, gather tools, equipment and help.
Who needs a truck when you have a cabby? (help has also arrived in a little red Golf) :lol:

Support tool installed, on to the biz of ripping out the tranny

Jeremiah has actually done a few before, so he dove right in there.

Starter has been removed.....sounds like time for.......

A BEER!!!! I'm pretty sure there's a rule that says you can't drop a tranny without beer on hand.....

Axles have been removed

And after plenty of grunting, groaning, cussing, swearing, cutting (yes the angle grinder got involved..it wasn't pretty), and possibly another beer....the Transmission was out!!

I dove underneath to pull the flywheel and clutch out

We noticed pretty much right away that it was worn pretty bad. Didn't make a whole lot of sense as it had been replaced supposedly just before i bought the car.

A close inspection at the pressure plate revealed the retainer clip had never been seated properly which in turn was dragging the clutch and wearing it out...Lovely. This is why we always do our own work. :evil:

well the parts are all out, now I gotta order some stuff.........

In the meantime....cheers!!!
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

:thumbup:

Still the bomb!
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

Thanks man..... 8)

Well, new clutch and pressure plate were ordered today along with new bolt kits for the flywheel and pressure plate.....always use new, a small investment now saves headaches later. :thumbup:

210mm Sachs Sportset from RPI equipped, with bolt kits, tax and shipping....$257 CDN. I can live with that. 8)
lowredcabrio

Post by lowredcabrio »

:beer: right on! :beer: interested in a spring/summer VW GTG? 8) The SSCC wants to have one :)
Lukai
check out my cabby here
|c|a|b|b|y| My Anti-Drug
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

yeah probably, you're in 'Toon right?
lowredcabrio

Post by lowredcabrio »

yuppers!
Lukai
check out my cabby here
|c|a|b|b|y| My Anti-Drug
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

All the latest updates. Tranny went back up yesterday, but had some issues with the shift linkage. After pissing around with it for a couple hours between last night and this morning I finally gave up and took it over to VW. 20 minutes later Taz was shifting better than ever and it only cost $39...I can live with that.

Pics, of course........

New stuff:
Sachs 210mm clutch kit (I also got new bolt kits for the flywheel and pressure plate, might as well replace them while we're in there)

I also picked up 2L of Full synth gear oil to give my tranny a treat.

While the Tranny was down for the week I figured why not clean and polish the sucker...

Took the flywheel to the machine shop and had it resurfaced

Some misc shots of the tranny reinserted.

A nice closeup of the brakes with the wheel off (and axles hanging) lol

We were not without casualties as Taz was fighting me a bit on this whole process. I snapped a CV joint bolt when torquing it down, but fortunately my buddy had some spares...otherwise our late night repairs would have ground to a halt. The upper strut mount to caliper bolt also stripped when being torqued so a quick trip to Canadian Tire (fortunately they are open till 10) solved that problem.

And here we were this evening doing a little detailing on my bud's GTI (that's the one with the Audi 3.2 swap)
Looking good and ready to cruise.

I cranked my coilovers down as low as I dared while I had the tranny out, just to see how it would look. no issues now that my lips are folded, so I think I'll keep it slammed this low.

A nice shot of my buddy's GTI

Some rear shots of Taz

We're back in biz B-) B-) :D
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Glad ya got Taz back on all 4's. Oh, and Damn thats low :shock:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

Took a nice run out on the highway this afternoon (topless of course) and got some video. Got a nice acceleration run about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through. check it out.
8)