A tale of Taz

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

1lowcab
DropTop Pimp
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by 1lowcab »

nice man! taz moves out pretty good. i'm going to have to get some video of mine....if it's ever back on the road.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

Speedtek! You rock! 8) 8) 8)
speedtek
What year is your cabby?: 1982

Post by speedtek »

LOL, I gotta get some good vids of some high speed passes. My buddy and I are going to go out and play with his video camera later this week.
I just know shit..........
my (really) old cardomain
bLac K aBriOleT89
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by bLac K aBriOleT89 »

Nice videos man, like the exhaust sound. Teh way you shift makes it sound like an automatic.... :D
1989 Graphite Black Metallic Cabriolet

2005 BMW X3 3.0i - Sapphire Black Metallic

2002 BMW M3 - Steel Gray-Coupe, 6 sp
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

Latest vids have been released. Juan inspired me to do a couple burnouts :lol: 8)

and a high speed pass
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

So I decided to do the changeover and run the nice dual chrome ring grill for a while. I kind of like it, makes the front look cleaner. Now I just need an emblem...anyone got a spare kicking around?

Thought I'd do a cool artsy shot of the front brakes and wheel.
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

i like the chrome, looks sweet!

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

wow
VERY SLICK car
this is the first time i've had a look at it after making it back to the forums...

a couple questions I have....

What tranny is in the car?

after that answer...
do you want to make it faster?
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

It's an 020

always.......
PDX Cabby

Post by PDX Cabby »

yeah, figured it was an 020 - but what code? fk, 2h, 4k?

the shorter ratio trannies like the 2H and the 4K (and even the 9A) will get you through the revs faster.

Also, if you want to keep with the motor setup you have (which, don't get me wrong, is an AWESOME bullet proof, fast, and proven setup) you need to shed some weight. IMO this should come from the wheels and, especially in your case, the brakes. See if you can find some 15" wheels to run for a day. I can guarantee you'd like the results (heck, even when my car was stock i noticed the weight difference between 13" steelies and 13" aluminum wheels), most 15's should be able to clear your brakes. And if you like what the wheel downsize gives you, you'd REALLY love what happens if you drop the front brake size down to 10.1". I also highly doubt you'd notice much difference between the two brake sizes. With the weight of the rabbit as it is, i find 13s to be way too much brake for anything that has anything less than a VR under the hood - even then most 11s will do the trick just fine.
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

This is all I got on the tranny, don't know if that tells ya anything.

As for the 15's, yeah I know. The 17's came with the car and I'm actually working on a set of 15" Konig Rewinds from a guy right now, but I gotta get rid of these puppies first so I can afford it. :lol:

BTW, the brakes are 11", not 13" and going down to a 10.1 would be really not a huge diff. The Wilwood calipers make for awesome brag factor (plus they are actually lighter than cast iron ones) and they will outperform any G60 setup anywhere. 8)

The weight thing has been ongoing all winter as well and I've shaved every ounce I can. Stock battery has been dumped in favour of a remote mount Deka (only 14 pounds, vs 45). The plastic Euro bumpers weigh about 2.5 pounds each, I even went so far as to gut the HVAC system this winter and remove the no longer functional A/C heat exchanger and tubing. (another easy 20 pounds of crap).

We're workin' on it. 8) If you read through the whole thread, you'll get an idea what lengths I've gone to. Let me know what Tranny that is if you can ID it, I would be interested to know. The ratios don't seem that bad, but hey...if it can be improved.
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

OK, nevermind, I figured it out...duh. :lol:
It's an FN and no it's not close ratio.
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

i like my FN i swapped in my cab, its a long legged trans, 73mph in 3rd with a few hundred rpms left. it'll be great when i turbo it this fall. :twisted:

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
PDX Cabby

Post by PDX Cabby »

ah, wonder where I thought you had 13s....

sounds like you're really on the right track then. Was looking at all the work (i've read through the whole thing) and kept wondering to my self "why the 17s and 13s?!?"

guess you've got it all figured out

but, yeah, a closer ratio tranny will do wonders.

Weight isn't a very easy thing to shed when it comes to Cabbies. So much is found in the structure of the car, and there just isn't much you can do about that. Canvas tops vs. Vinyl tops doesn't even offer a worth while weight difference to go one way or the other. The sound deadening and carpet padding is a good way to go (i pulled my deadening, padding and carpet this year - 45 pounds! course, it was all soaking wet...). And I see you already have the non-expantion radiator (also lighter). So... no more criticism from me :D
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

Yeah next year I'm pushing hard to convert to a turbo setup (one way or another) which should help negate any extra weight the car is still carrying 8) :lol: