A tale of Taz

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

speedtek
What year is your cabby?: 1982

A tale of Taz

Post by speedtek »

Hi all, got an invite to come check your forum out and thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself. Name's Jeff, the little beast I currently bleed over (on a fairly regular basis) is Taz

I picked Taz up in Victoria BC last summer and most of the heavy mechanical had already been done, leaving me with the task of tweaking and refurbishing the rest.
His Wiring and interior was crap, tires....cheapos, exhaust...WTH were they thinking, etc. It's all in the details........
This is pretty much how he sat when I got him.
Day 3...after the long drive home

A couple weeks later after a good polish

The interior still looked like the inside of a rotting corpse.........

Nothing a whole new (to me) Jetta MKIII VR6 interior couldn't fix. This was a fun job. I had to hack 3 inches off each side of the rear seatback to make it fit and then hand stitch the covers back together. The front seats were a bit of a challenge as the floor brackets are quite a bit wider on the MKIII...nothing a hacksaw, tape measure and a welder can't fix, though.
Interior no longer looks like ass....

This is what the engine bay looked like before I started cleaning and painting. (well shortly after.....strut bar is removed here and I had already started partial disassembly for the winter) Note the absolute horrible wiring running everywhere in the engine bay.

Halfway through the engine bay refurbish project

A closeup shot of the new Jacobs Standalone Ignition system (thank you Santa) Battery has been replaced by a new Lightweight Deka Non-spillable and relocated to the trunk with a custom battery box and hand built cabling system.

Taz on the jackstands...theme coming together nicely with the new Iron Cross decals. (more on that in a bit)

The wheels were looking a little tired, so I refurbished them with a good cleaning and a new coat of Gunmetal on the centers. Topping it off with custom fitted VW center caps.

Next....dump the cheapo Hankooks and get a set of real auto-x tires Kumho Ecsta MX 205/40-ZR17's

and mounted on the car

Now, as to the theme thing...I had it in my head that I wanted to do a WWI fighter aircraft theme as I had seen (or heard) of an all black fighter that was in service on one of the fronts and thought that something understated like that would be interesting.
I came across this pic of an Albatross DIII flown by Adolf Von Tutscheck and knew it was exactly what I was looking for.

I think it comes together nicely with the wheels as the DIII was the first of the Albatross series using a V shaped wing strut.

Even without the Grill, Taz still looks mean

The engine bay is almost complete....new Jacobs wires are now installed. God I love E-bay!!! 8) Note Custom built rain tray panel and Radiator cover panel (flat black, of course). I will be spraying the hood flat black before spring to give it a more serious look.

Some of you may be wondering why I named the car Taz, well, with the .272 Schrick cam, he shakes and rumbles and sounds pretty much like the Tazmanian Devil from Looney Tunes....couldn't think of a more fitting name...... :lol:

The specs:

17” ADR Lightning racing wheels, Kumho Ecsta MX tires, Koni adjustable coil-over suspension all around with 2” drop (current), 28mm anti-roll bars (front and rear), Front upper and lower strut tie bars, 11” cross-drilled rotors with Wilwood twin piston calipers (front), Rear disc brake conversion with solid rotors, braided stainless steel brake lines, Deka power sports battery and remote mount.

Engine: Balanced and blueprinted 1.7L 8v 4 cylinder bored and stroked to 2.1L, Shaved head and forged pistons (10.5:1 compression), 80mm Audi single butterfly throttle-body, Head ported and polished, .272 Schrick cam, HD valve springs w/Titanium retainers, 4-2-1 long tube header, stainless steel 2.25” exhaust with resonator and Dynomax turbo muffler, High performance 210mm clutch and lightened flywheel, Jacobs FC1000 standalone ignition with C4 High performance coil and secondary trigger resistor.

And more misc pics from the winter teardown (and I mean teardown) :lol: .
The HVAC system was still hoarding the big old heavy A/C heat exchanger and piping (a good 25 pounds worth of crap if not more) so..............
That sucker is in there bloody tight.

and it made a helluva mess ripping it out

But I got it.....

A quick closeup shot of the new door panels (yeah they're blue, but I was working on it)

Freshly redyed lower carpeting on the door panel

The custom leather emergency brake boot. (note Taz floor mats LOL)

picked this up on E-bay. Very hard to get a hold of these puppies for your CIS airboxes.
aluminum airbox eliminator to add a cold air intake and cone filter to your CIS injected rabbit. (Volvo 240 Turbos used to use them)
Should go well with all the extra piping and accessories I picked up as well

Reinstalled the grill, smoked the high beams, smoked turn indicators, blacked out the VW emblem. Coming together....spring is just around the corner (fingers crossed)

Pulled Taz out of the garage today to get a couple shiny shots and as a running joke that taz had never seen snow being from Victoria and all.

Taz, meet snow.....snow, this is Taz :lol: :lol:
Last edited by speedtek on Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just know shit..........
my (really) old cardomain
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by 1lowcab »

damn man, hell of alot of work in that car.... looks great!!!!!
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
lowredcabrio

Post by lowredcabrio »

hey! great to see you get here! like a said, a great little cabby community. :beer: You can't be old enough to be a Veteran? Can you? :shock: Im sure these kind folks will have plenty to say when they see your HOT cabby! :beer:
Lukai
check out my cabby here
|c|a|b|b|y| My Anti-Drug
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

F'ing sweet ride man. Love the progress pics, very, very nice.

You will fit in just fine here!
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Nice, car, Welcome to the trf.......

Hope I don't scare ya away.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
tolusina

Re: A tale of Taz

Post by tolusina »

speedtek wrote:............
The HVAC system was still hoarding the big old heavy A/C heat exchanger and piping (a good 25 pounds worth of crap if not more) so..............
That sucker is in there bloody tight.
Image.........

Car looks GOOD!! 2.1 and CIS, sneaky, stock looking, I like it!!

The pic above, did you do a compete HVAC delete?? Or have you done something else for heat and defrost?? I've pulled all my AC stuff back to the HVAC box and evaporator, have, so far, kept the interior air distribution stock, day dreaming alternatives to the weight and bulk of that system. Alternatives??
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

OMG! This has to be the greatest "hello I'm new" post ever!!! WOW :shock:

A VERY big welcome to TRF, please dont make yourself a stranger. You've done some amazing work to that Cabby and we'd all like to see the continued progress. In fact, we are in the works of doing member's progress/ride pages now, and this would be a cool addition!!
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
dubchickshubby

Post by dubchickshubby »

S...OOOO...W...EEEEEEEET! :shock:

Nice work! And Welcome! Pics pics we love pics.... :mrgreen:

Funny thing. Before I flamed mine out it was red. I came very close to going Flying Circus and painting a cross on white for the doors... The paint was too far gone for that though and once it was black primered (my favorite color) it stuck.

I'll be interested to see engine piccs as you progress. That CIS box cover looks interesting!

Oh. And was that a MkII Pasat rear axle beam I saw?
Her car, my tools. It's all about sharing!
///Ocean State Dubs
'87 red/white Cabby
'92 Triple white Cabby(an 8V decked and overbored nightmare. 303 Cam baybee!)
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

tolusina wrote:
Car looks GOOD!! 2.1 and CIS, sneaky, stock looking, I like it!!

The pic above, did you do a compete HVAC delete?? Or have you done something else for heat and defrost?? I've pulled all my AC stuff back to the HVAC box and evaporator, have, so far, kept the interior air distribution stock, day dreaming alternatives to the weight and bulk of that system. Alternatives??
No, I just pulled it all apart to get the A/C heat exchanger out of there. It was about 25 pounds worth of crap and tubing. Then I just cleaned it all, reassembled and reinstalled with just a heater core. 8) It gets cold at night even in the summer up here in Saskatchewan :lol:
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

dubchickshubby wrote:S...OOOO...W...EEEEEEEET! :shock:

Oh. And was that a MkII Pasat rear axle beam I saw?
Thanks for the comments 8) , no it's just a disc brake conversion on the rear afaik

PS: to loweredcabrio; yes I actually am a veteran :lol: . You don't have to be 80 and wrinkled ya know..... :D . My 8 year stint in the airforce (88-96) qualifies me for free parking in just about any city in Canada. :thumbup: :lol: Not to mention the veterans' plate helps carry off the "theme" even better.
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

speedtek wrote:.......to get the A/C heat exchanger out of there. It was about 25 pounds worth of crap and tubing......
Ok, Ok, more work to schedule. I like removing non-functional weight, it's like free horsepower, better brakes and suspension. Still have lots of easier access weight to remove, evaporator is on the list, down near the bottom somewhere above flared and glassed or carboned lightening holes. :roll:
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

The HVAC system was still hoarding the big old heavy A/C heat exchanger and piping (a good 25 pounds worth of crap if not more)
really? 25+ lbs hiding in there? WOW! looks like i'll be tearing that apart in mine.

to date - 238lb removed from my cab...soon to be 25+lbs more! :D
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

THat heat exchanger and tubing was a heavy chunk of equipment. I'm guesstimating 25 lbs, but I didn't actually weigh it. I would be very surprised if it was less than 20 though....the heat exchanger (new) is probably lighter, but when it's crammed with 24 years worth of dust and crap it adds up. :lol:
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

1lowcab wrote:..........to date - 238lb removed from my cab...soon to be 25+lbs more! :D
I haven't been weighing stuff as I removed it, sounds like you have. :wink:
I'd be interested in comparing lists of removed stuff and stuff planned to be removed.
Have you weighed your car yet? I've heard shockingly high numbers for the Cabriolets compared to Rabbit sedans, I'm afraid to find out.
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

I pulled up the driver's side carpet and removed the checkerboard style matting that was underneath (sound deadening I think). Holy crap that stuff was heavy, I swear it must be lead filled or something!! I highly reccommend it's removal if you are pinching pounds. The passenger side was just a lightweight cardboard composite, so it stayed.