Pics of my new top and broken back window

Ok, ok, I mean the cars and thats all I mean. If you have pics of your "Cars" out on the net somewhere, link the image of your "Car" here.

For those of you that don't have a place on the net to host your pics, contact our pic master Calimus at calimus@techography.net

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

J-Dub
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Pics of my new top and broken back window

Post by J-Dub »

OK so i finally got pics of the new top looks pretty good. Now the bad part somehow my back window just popped lastnight. Its still holding together but i know it will fall the second I move the car. So I'm on the hunt for a new rear window today.

Anyways pics can be found here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y131/84CGT/
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Top looks great, can't believe that happend to the rear glass. Hope you find one close by.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
BigDaddy90Cabby
Exploited Staff Member

Post by BigDaddy90Cabby »

How the hell did that happen?? thats crazy!!.. Top looks great!
Jimmy
1990 Cabby
Corpus Christi, TX

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigdaddyjimmyjam
"That's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny!"
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

did you install it?

cause if i recall correctly there is something you are supposed to do to compensate for shrinkage, when the top is installed it has a tendency to shrink a little, and i have a feeling it shrank and put too much pressure for the windo to handle, if you paid to get it installed i would take it to them and make them get you a new window
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

nice top...sux about the window, damn.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
J-Dub

Post by J-Dub »

I talked to the people that installed the top they said they aren't responsible for the window since they used the old one. Which I think is BS cuz they installed it. If i get a new one is the same thing going to happen to that window? I know it has something to do with the way the top was installed. I did manage to find another one and the place that put on my top said they would install it for free.

Also they told me not to put the top down for 4 days because it has to stretch. So which does it do stretch or shrink? I'm confused now heh
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

It's going to streatch and then slightly shrink to fit as it dries in the sun real well. Sounds goofy, but thats about the best we I can explain it. Kinda like window tinit, doesn't look wet or anything, but if done properly, it needs to set for 3 weeks to completly dry/harden
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

That is BS. The shop that put the top on is claiming no responsibility because they used the old window? What if it was a glass shop that put a new window in and the top ripped? Would that fly when they say.."We are not responsible because we used the old top". I would not sit for that. $900.00 for a new top and a broken rear glass? Reinforces my opinion of people and their ethics. Sorry this happened to you.

Here's another one. Picture paying to have an oil pan gasket replaced and having the drain plug fall out on the way home. "Sorry about your motor, but we can't be responsible because we used your old oil pan"

Ok, I'll shut up now. If it was my shop the window would be free. Now I'm done.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
J-Dub

Post by J-Dub »

I know how it is no one ever wants to take responsibility for their mistakes and it sucks, I managed to get a new window for cheap though so i'm not too concerned at least they said they would install it for free. Its not much but at least it something.
BigDaddy90Cabby
Exploited Staff Member

If they said they would install if for free then you know are, in their own way taking some kind of responsibility... but ...

Hey you Cabby experts.. if the whole has already been cut in the top, will it still stretch the way it is suppose to.. does he leave the window frame in there?? and let it stretch around it?

Ok, thats really for my own personal gain of knowledge... for when i get my new top.. so it is best to put the top on, and leave it up for a few weeks before even messing with the rear window huh?
Jimmy
1990 Cabby
Corpus Christi, TX

theonlychuck

Post by theonlychuck »

if you have somebody to give you a hand, i'd just install it yourself. with 2 people the back window is easy to install.
-=(chuck)=-
BigDaddy90Cabby
Exploited Staff Member

i myself not really worried about the window as much as I am about doing the top myself.. I am not gonna drive 4 hours to get a top put on! :D
Jimmy
1990 Cabby
Corpus Christi, TX

bubster007

Post by bubster007 »

I do not think the top shrinking or stretching has anything to do with the window popping. The window has a metal frame and the rubber window seal does not allow the glass to actually touch the metal. I have had my rear window in and out a couple of times recently and one person can do this very easily, you do not need help. Place the rubber seal around the glass then wrap heavy plastic twine around the outside of the rubber seal. Lay the window and seal into the opening and apply pressure all the way around a little bit. Then get inside the car and pull the twine at a 90 degree angle. It pulls right into place.
Now, if you are challenged you could try using a screwdriver to install it and presto...popped window. Firefighters carry a tool that looks like an ink pen but it has a heavy spring and a carbide tip. Just place it up to the glass and...pop. A screwdriver will pop a window with very little effort. I have seen cops hit windows with a night stick, 5 or 6 times and it will not pop. Just a plain ole screw driver will pop a window every time. You cannot crush a diamond with enormous pressure but you can turn it into dust with a small chisel. Same principle.
92 Cabby Triple White...de Bubster
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

if you torgued the window it could of shattered, but that is tempered glass strong stuff. I have cracked a window with just dropping the windshield wiper arm.. and I have cracked the window with a bird strike at 80mph.

Which reminds me What is the last thing on a bugs mind as he hits your windshield.......his butt...

If your staples are not tight against the frame but sticking out a bit, they could of also caused the torque. When I replaced my top I smacked all the staples with a ballpeen to seat squarely in the frame.

I agree with bubster the Indian rope trick is all that you need, and if you have an assistant to help that is all the better. One last thing is to grease the top with vasoline, it will ease the gasket and allow it to pop into place a little easier.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Old glass or not....They are the last ones to touch it..They are totally liable. OLD or NEW if when they took it out it would of shattered as there is more stree on the glass when taking it out than in replacing. I really beleive that they didn't install it correctly.....Take it back and BITCH BITCH BITCH LOUDLY, and take a witness with you don't cuss just be firm...very firm....They already made a ton of money off of ya....

but that is my opinion.

People / and my kids and wife don't like it when I get UGLY at a vendor, but I usualy get my way. I have worked in the Customer Service industry for all my life, I know which buttons to push and how to talk. I also have mentioned my Lawyers name once.

I will give you an example that is the Gods Honest Truth.

My grandmother was dying, and I was told to come home. My 81 diesel bunny needed Struts and Tierods..and 4 new tires. Being that I didn't have the time to do it. I let Sears have a crack at it...They called me and said it was done, I paid 800 (They rebuilt the whole front end and 4 tires)

As i drove it down the street I stepped on the gas and the car changed lanes....I let off the gas and it changed lanes again...

I took it back and complained... They had 4 different people come out and tell me that was engine torgue. I said it is? I said please check the alignment again, they told me no....I said may I speak with the manager? No. he is out of town, The assistant, he is gone to lunch....

Okay being stupid, I went out and got the telephone number of Sears in Chicago.

I called them, I said Hi my name is jim smith, and I work for xyz company, and would like the mailing address and name of the vp for consumer affairs to send a new magazine too,,, They gave me a name

I called right back and asked for him by name...They connected me to him. I said my name is and you don't know me but I am one pissed off customer. I explained to him in detail with names what had happened. Then I added I have been working on cars for all my life, and if I had a car that was not a transverse engined then yes i could agree that engine torque could be the cause. But as this is a front wheeled transverse engined car all torque is to the front and rear of the car. He said could I hold... I said sure....

I was on hold for about 6 minutes, (the pay phone was outside of the car shop in tucker ga. 3 guys came tearing out of the store to the auto shop, and there was a hell of a commosion... about 4 minutes later, I was told to go on back they would be expecting me.... I Thanked him, hung up and went back inside....I couldda been the president....They were shitting all over themselves...

They had my car for about 30 minutes, I personnaly saw them take a car off the alignment rack and get my car up there....

after about an hour my car was ready..yes it was out of alignment thru an oversite ,,,,oh and they had billed me for parts that weren't put on.. so they were going to take that off, and then readjust my labor, and as a thank you we are sorry the cut 100 bucks off the bill and gave me the tires for free...

ps, and the manager that was out of town, gave me his card. When he introduced himself to me, I said oh, I was told that you were out of town.

Looking at the service manager, I said.....Gee could it be the fact that I know people to call at Sears when i feel like I have been torqued off and shit runs down hill from the top very quickly?

After that every two years I got free shocks and struts.....for another 16 years....

And the last time.. I got 4 free tires, a new battery and a new paint job...

Stick to your guns, the worst that is going to happen is that you look like an ass....but sometimes they have to kiss it.....

It originally cost me 400 bucks after the adjustments... I figured that it cost sears about 5 grand over the life of my car....lol
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: