My 88 Cabriolet

Ok, ok, I mean the cars and thats all I mean. If you have pics of your "Cars" out on the net somewhere, link the image of your "Car" here.

For those of you that don't have a place on the net to host your pics, contact our pic master Calimus at calimus@techography.net

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

ibennett
What year is your cabby?: 1988

My 88 Cabriolet

Post by ibennett »

Hello folks, I'm new to the forum and wanted to share a bit about my car with you. I bought it in 1998 and am 5th owner. I used it as a daily driver for nearly 5 years till I blew the head gasket in it on Thanksgiving in 2002.

It sat for a few years till I found someone willing to fix it for me. He got the engine running but everything else was breaking down. I kept it running enough to be able to let my youngest daughter buy (borrow) it. She kept the car for 6 months, letting her boyfriend drive it until this past Feb when it broke down on him and it was vandalized.

ImageImage

My baby had been left on the side of the road for about a half hour (or so I was told), the back glass, windshield, passenger window and 3 of the 4 headlights had been broken out. I did what any self respecting parent would have done, I repossessed the car.

After a lot of thinking and heart ache over the ordeal my darling husband said "Why don't you restore it"! And so I did. Just getting everything fixed electrical, mechanical and glass ran to just over $5,000. This included new struts, water pump, lights, flaps working for the heat and defrost along with a long list of other stuff. After that I found someone to redo my upholstery and put on a new top. That was another $2,500.

After the upholstery was done and I had a chance to drive the car a bit I had an Alpine radio in it that was everything ready and came with an Ipod cable so I splurged on one instead of adding XM to it. We took it on it's first offical trip last week to the mountains to see how it would run long distance, it did well even though I held my breath all the way up praying it didn't break down.

I'm waiting for the weather to get to hot to put the top down to have it painted. Will post more pics when the work is finished.
Volkswagons don't leak oil, they just mark their spot!

Ilene
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: My 88 Cabriolet

Post by kamzcab86 »

Welcome! 8)
ibennett wrote:I did what any self respecting parent would have done, I repossessed the car.
Good for you!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nice restoration job! She looks great! 8)

As I just said on VWvortex, cars are an emotional investment, not financial... the return we get on our investments is our topless cruises! :mrgreen:
ibennett

Post by ibennett »

Oh so very true, this is the closest thing I'll ever have to my dream car. I wanted a 1979 Super Beetle Convertible when I bought this. The hubby hasn't even asked to drive it yet, he's letting me ware the New off. BTW the top pic was taken 10 years ago.

Ilene
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Looks really nice.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
ibennett

Post by ibennett »

Okay ladies and gentlemen, I promised to update my pictures when I got the car painted and so here we are. I picked up the car today after I got home from work, it wasn't supposed to be ready until Thursday. The work was done at a small shop just down the road from where I live so the price was a lot easier to handle.

Please note the front tag on the car, my husband's idea but so fitting!

I'm having a really hard time finding just one hub cap to replace the one that's missing, have checked just about every junk yard within a 100 mile radius as well as a friend up in Penn who's husband has a salvage yard. I've also found 2 rims to replace the ones on my car that are messed up and am having them powder coated.

Ilene
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Oooh, very pretty! They did a great job! :thumbup: 8)

Center caps for those wheels pop up on eBay all the time: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLKSWAG ... 0258408059 (item #200258408059). It's $10 though. :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by CalAltaDubber »

One word

FANTASTIC!!!
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
ibennett

Post by ibennett »

Thanks Kammy, placed bid.

Ilene
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Nice paint...... Looks great.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

Wow, that paint sure did come out nice. I've always loved the red Cabbies, but sadly most of them have become oxidized and have "pink" bumpers. (my old red did, too!) What an amazing job you did with the interior and total restore. I'm glad you invested in her :)
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)