Kammy lost her marbles...

Ok, ok, I mean the cars and thats all I mean. If you have pics of your "Cars" out on the net somewhere, link the image of your "Car" here.

For those of you that don't have a place on the net to host your pics, contact our pic master Calimus at calimus@techography.net

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Kammy lost her marbles...

Post by kamzcab86 »

I'll allow the following pics to explain all of the hints I've been dropping around the internet over the past several months... ;)

October, 1989

Spring/Summer, 2004

Spring, 2006

Summer, 2006

Fall, 2006

Possibly 2007 (haven't decided if I want to go this far; and the sidemarkers are NOT geting shaved ;) )

Yes, folks, I modded my car, right down to the suspension! :shock: Euro bumpers, H&R/Bilstein Sports, 14" BBS RZ's with polished lips and eventually GTI stripes (need to wait for cooler temps to install them)! :D

Don't worry, Cristine, it's temporary. Once I've saved up enough dinero for a first-class, total respray, she'll be returned to her original, stock glory (except the spoiler and struts are staying!). Until then, she's euro! 8)
tolusina
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by tolusina »

All right already, enough is enough. Who are you really and what are you doing with Kammy's log in?? Hmm??

Really, Princess is looking good, front wheel gap down a little, rear is up and matches the front. Euro bumpers, uh huh, yup.

I thought you had the quad light grille already, 2007 isn't far off.

Did you change springs?

What size tires?

"The Princess" dubmodder, body colored euro bumpers, cool!! Have you though about body colored wheel flares?

She's looking like she's asking for a 9A and 4 wheel discs. ;)
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

OMG Ronnie, look at her mods. There like, so....real.

Very nice Kammie. Even the purest of the pure have their breaking points. I will say though, the mods you've chosen are extreamly tastfull and well planned.

Can't wait.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

I went outside and looked at the sky. Didnt see anything nearby so I ran down the block. Nope, still nothing.
I drove a couple miles. Surely I'll see it now...
Damn! Still nothing.

No pigs are flying anywhere!!!!

Geez, Kammy, what has gotten into you???

Ok, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE what you have done to the Princess. She is gorgeous (as she always has been). Very nice modifications indeed.
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

Calimus wrote:OMG Ronnie, look at her mods. There like, so....real.....
You are so right, must be an excellent p-chop, can't be real. :lol:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Oh how the mighty have fallen, next thing you will see is a Ricer exhaust tip, and a hood cowling... :) Not ot mention Fuzz dice...
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

Thanks guys! Yes, the Devil is freezing his tail off right about now... :mrgreen:

I've never been against modding; I just didn't think I'd ever be willing to do it to my "first born". :D

It all started with the "duckbill" spoiler I put on a couple of years ago; I did that just 'cuz (and it polishes off the front-end). :lol: Then, when Mom got rid of her Cabrio, she gave the car cover to me. Problem is, the blue cloth cover bleeds blue all over the top and, worse, the boot (the stuff is difficult to get out of the vinyl). So, I decided the easiest solution would be to get a used black boot, which I did (I ALWAYS cover the car if I take it to work, so it was sort of a must; I prefer the white boot, but the black one sort of ties in well with the black flares). And, it was the first time I had to get a refund from an eBay seller; the boot was a wreck and the seller said that it was "like new!" :roll:

Speaking of the flares, she originally had white ones, Ron. One was slightly damaged by the previous owner and one was trashed thanks to living in Flagstaff for six years (the town uses cinders during snow season rather than salt). I couldn't tolerate looking at those two any longer, so I decided to replace all four with the intention of getting them painted when the car gets a respray; new ones only come black.

Anyway, the inspiration is a GTI I spotted in a VW magazine a couple of years ago:

When DubModder finally added the Mk1 Cab to the lineup, Lucky beat me to the fun and posted a screenshot of my car stock, but with BBS RZ's added to it. That prompted me to go in and play with DubModder, making a few "DubMods" which pretty much convinced me to go with it (blending that GTI with my Cab is really the best of both worlds :D ). I had planned on getting another set of wheels anyway (but was thinking "snowflakes") for when the Zandvoorts get refurb'd. If it weren't for seeing a preview of how good the RZ's looked on it, I wouldn't have lost my mind and gone into mod mode. :D

The RZ's are 14x6.5 with an ET30 offset. They're refurb'd wheels off of a BMW so I had to use BMW lug bolts with them. The tires are 185/60-14 Pirelli's. Right after the wheels/tires were installed, the 4-year-old front struts seized up (just like the originals did) :roll: . I was going to upgrade the suspension, but not until next year; but my little car decided she was having none of that. "New shoes?! Well! I MUST have new suspension too!!" So, H&R Sport springs and Bilstein strut inserts were bought. The fronts were installed last week (and the week before that new axles were installed :x ) and man, do they rock!! The car handles gloriously! 8) The rears should be fitted within the next week or two (I now have a Mk4 Jetta that requires attention after it was forced to run over a tire on the freeway last week :evil: ). So, the front was brought down, finally, to match the rear. And the old strut inserts had oil all over them and dirt logged into the chamber and the bump stops that dated back to November 1985 were shot to Hades. New strut mounts and bearings were installed along with the Bilsteins.

She went from a whole hand gap with a bit of room to spare down to a 3-finger gap:

Oh, as for the grille, Ron, yes, I had one. But, as it turns out it was an aftermarket grille, not OEM which I failed to notice until I went to test fit the thing. The chrome (or red) trim cannot be installed on it due to the idiotic way they manufactured the inner lights. So, I sold it to a fellow Cabby owner here in Phoenix who is going with the non-chrome look.

Ah, and one more pic I wasn't able to show in public. I spent an entire Saturday cleaning CV grease off the front end after the axles were replaced (both boots split apart). I will say, at least my car breaks paired parts in pairs. :lol: :roll:

^That job also gave me the opportunity to brighten up 20-year-old calipers:
ImageImage

She and I will be venturing out on a road trip this weekend (the Jetta is parked until further notice :? ), so I'll be getting some better "post drop" pics (and shocking the hell out of my parents! :mrgreen: ).
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

Oops! Forgot to tell about the red trim mod. I bought new chrome for the grille a couple of years ago; I had a "get it while you can!" thought. Because I was able to get new chrome, I planned all along to take the original, pitted chrome off and paint it "GTI red" to give the Cab a slightly different look until she got a total respray and, essentially, a complete restoration. I did this a couple of months ago while I had the grille off to Back-To-Black it and repair one of the headlight rings. While it's not Mars Red, it's pretty close:

So, spoiler, red trim, black boot... why not just go all the way and make her a euro GTI of the topless variety? So I did. :mrgreen:

I still need to get the "original" hood painted, hopefully by the end of the year; that's a temporary replacement on it now and it sucks.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Very, Very nice Kami.

I think you have done a nice job.

As far as my Topless Bunny goes, I have decided that it is harder to keep the car stock with parts becomming harder to find. That's where my challenge is.

However I like what you have done to the Princess
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

kamzcab86 wrote:.....The rears should be fitted within the next week or two.....
Maybe you've heard of that http://cabbyinfo.com site ?? I found a link over there about rear shock replacement......
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1769448
just make sure the lower bolts turn in the bushings before you do anything else. ;)
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

NICE!
never thought i'd see euro bumpers and lowering springs on your car.
but watch out, when the mod bug bites its hard to shake it.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

Stupid me, forgot to update the pics!

She handles so well now... I'm wishing I did the suspension upgrade years ago!! :D

And, it's still too darn hot here to put the stripes on... :roll:

Of course, the new coolant tank is forming cracks all over it; Meyle coolant jugs suck ass. :evil:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Looking good, and I agree with the parts statement about Jugs. The Autobahn performance parts got me a really nice one, it is as good as OEM from VW. IF you want I can get you one and Ship it to you.....

I just need to know if you need the sensor hole or not. :)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

Thanks Brian! 8) I already have one, supposedly OEM, coming; it just won't be arriving until Monday. :roll: :x
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Looking good kamy. It's amazing what a suspension with a slight drop can do for the car.

Both our rocco's are lowered and Cristines still has 14" rims/tires to where mine has some meaty 16's. I sometimes forget when driving Cristines rocco and toss it into the corners a bit aggresivly since her suspension is fresh and feels so nice. Tires chirping reminds me to ease off a bit though.

Give it a while more and I'm sure you'll have the right temps for the stripes. Can't wait to see pics of that.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C