Kammy lost her marbles...

Ok, ok, I mean the cars and thats all I mean. If you have pics of your "Cars" out on the net somewhere, link the image of your "Car" here.

For those of you that don't have a place on the net to host your pics, contact our pic master Calimus at calimus@techography.net

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

maushaus
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by maushaus »

you did not lose your marbles!!!!!...as i have stated on the tex...your car looks great, tastefully done...i would expect nothing less from you...
:wink:

peace, kelly
"Mice used to live in it...now I drive it"
87 Cabriolet
BigDaddy90Cabby
Exploited Staff Member

Post by BigDaddy90Cabby »

HEY KAMMY, so you gonna throw up another pic of you workin on the cabby??????????
Jimmy
1990 Cabby
Corpus Christi, TX

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigdaddyjimmyjam
"That's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny!"
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

HA! How ya doin', Jimmy?! :D No new pics of me working on the brat 'cuz I haven't touched her in 4 months other than re-re-spraying the fan shroud:

...destroying the oil filter getting it off in order to replace the oil cooler:

...installing a new coolant tank to replace the new one that turned out to be crap (and cleaning up coolant that sprayed all over the engine):

...and installing a new boot:

I haven't had the time, but I also am kind of depressed and pissed off at her which has led me to not have the gumption to work on her: I fix something minor and do nice things to the car and she constantly breaks expensive stuff in return. :evil: :( :( But I'm also depressed that I can't drive her, so as soon as it warms back up around here (it's been damn cold in Phoenix!!), I'll put her back together and have her hauled off to a shop to do the more complicated stuff (and go over the entire f'n car and fix whatever the hell is wrong with her, once and for all so that I can drive the little PITA for more than two f'n months a year!!).

One update pic on the mod front I haven't posted:
ImageImage
I got better lights for the euro bumpers (actual clear lenses along with "city lights" so I can have both turn and parking lights). :D

When I get around to replacing the oil cooler, Jimmy, I'll be sure to take pics for ya. :wink:
lowredcabrio

Post by lowredcabrio »

Kammy! what happened! Geez i get busy and all this happens behind my back?! it looks great! what a suprise! :P
Lukai
check out my cabby here
|c|a|b|b|y| My Anti-Drug
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

lowredcabrio wrote:Kammy! what happened! Geez i get busy and all this happens behind my back?! it looks great! what a suprise! :P
Speaking of which. Where have you been hiding?
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
DaisyDub

Post by DaisyDub »

where did you order the clear turn signal lights from?
-Tara
92 Jasmine Cabriolet
lowredcabrio

Post by lowredcabrio »

Speaking of which. Where have you been hiding?
i've been busy with school, rowing, house renos. Life is tough!
Lukai
check out my cabby here
|c|a|b|b|y| My Anti-Drug
kamzcab86

Re: Kammy lost her marbles...

Post by kamzcab86 »

Wow! I haven't updated this in a looooooong time! :oops:

Last weekend I pulled the driver's side door card off. Three clips pulled out of the card, but luckily not much damage done to the cardboard (don't know about y'all, but I would've paid a little more dinero to get, oh, I don't know, higher-end door cards!), so the clips went right back in. Anyway, the window wasn't going back up in an easy fashion and would get hung up on something. Pulling the card off revealed that the rubber/felt channel guide slid down and out of the metal track. (Sorry, no pic). Pushed it back into place and the window operates as it should... until the stupid seal pops out again. :roll:

Pulled the dash off (German engineering at it's best, I tell ya!!!); four cute little screws along the bottom presented a predicament: my offset screwdriver wouldn't fit between the dash and the kneebar which meant mandatory kneebar removal. *&#$!! :banghead: Franz the wiring genius should've been fired!! Didn't find anything special after removing the dash except for one little item: rusted box cutter stuck in between the speaker wires on the right side of the cowl. :| Anywho, why remove the dash? 'Cuz 1-2 years ago I foolishly attempted to replace the center vent vacuum servo without removing the dash. Had it not been for the key lock on the freakin' vent arm, all would've been quite grand; but noooooooooooo. So, new vent servo removed and re-installed properly. While the dash was out, I also ripped out the front speaker wires and installed some new wire; also installed new rear speaker wire from the connector beneath the dash onward and re-routed the new wires along the cowl, where they should've been in the first place. :screwy: I also installed a new wiring harness for a certain new component (details to come later... :mrgreen: ).

While the dash was out, I attempted to fix what I broke many years ago: the glove box (after messing with it, it would no longer stay open). Nothing I did worked so I finally decided to just reverse the spring. Open the lid in the right way and it now stays open! :lol:

I knew I should've replaced them both a couple years ago, but... me is stoopid. :roll: :lol: Shortly after replacing the driver's side seat guide, the passenger guide blew out... naturally. So, last weekend it finally got replaced (what's left of the original is the brownish blob):

Cleaned up the dash area (dirt gallore), vacuumed out the HVAC box, removed and cleaned the vent pipes, removed (so easy to do with the dash out!!) and cleaned the side vents and replaced the crappy, falling-apart foam with black felt (took a before-and-after pic, but it's nowhere to be found :( ).

More to come during or after this weekend! :beer:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Nice work Kammy. Thats a lot of hard work too. Having been through that a time or two, I can honestly say that being a smaller statured person is a big advantage. Keep up the good work and thanks for the pics, reminds me that the next time I'm in the junk yard, I need to go servo hunting.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

I agree, being a smallish imp of a person makes working on things a tad easier.. although, if i ma suggest that your seat adjuster is missing a spring... there should be 2 there.....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

New headunit! :o
Image :mrgreen:

Out with the old seatbelts (only the passenger side is pictured)...

...in with the new belts (not "new", new from VW :wink: ):

No more crappy-looking gray belt guides and, most importantly, let go of the belts and they retract!! Image

Next up: installation of new horns and horn wires; fixing the lower rad hose leak; cleaning the 'ole girl up (she's filthy) and finally installing the GTI stripes; getting the original hood painted; getting the new top installed (I'm thinking March is when this will occur). 8)

Brian, both of my front seats have only 1 spring; always have and they work just fine. :|
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

kamzcab86 wrote:Brian, both of my front seats have only 1 spring; always have and they work just fine. :|
Hey Brian both of my cars ('87 and '88) only have one spring. maybe thy decided to put two on the later ones?
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Only Brians has two springs because somehow the cars knew they were going to be owned by an Irishman with Scottish luck. :mrgreen:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Calimus wrote:Only Brians has two springs because somehow the cars knew they were going to be owned by an Irishman with Scottish luck. :mrgreen:
Oh SNAP!
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

CalAltaDubber wrote:
Calimus wrote:Only Brians has two springs because somehow the cars knew they were going to be owned by an Irishman with Scottish luck. :mrgreen:
Oh SNAP!

:thumbup: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: