Jetta Update

Ok, ok, I mean the cars and thats all I mean. If you have pics of your "Cars" out on the net somewhere, link the image of your "Car" here.

For those of you that don't have a place on the net to host your pics, contact our pic master Calimus at calimus@techography.net

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Re: Jetta Update

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

i want to drive it so bad im about to tie a rope to the bumper of my friends car and have him tow me around the neighborhood...lol
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

it fires now, but only because the cold start valve is the only thing getting fuel...none of the other injectors are.....i replaced all 4 injectors and fuel lines, i think i need to tear the fuel distributor apart and clean in
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

SoCal_Cabby wrote:it fires now, but only because the cold start valve is the only thing getting fuel...none of the other injectors are.....i replaced all 4 injectors and fuel lines, i think i need to tear the fuel distributor apart and clean in
Probably has "Varnished gas residue". You might try spraying the lines and the air plate with "Brake, or Carb" cleaner.
(not CIS smart) but I think that you have to lift the air plate with a magnet....

Hell I would spray carb cleaner in it and shake the Pea outta it then allow it to drain back out then re-attach without too much dissasembly first. If the car was running when ya parked it all those MANY Thousands of Minutes ago. It is most likely something lacquered up.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

Briano1234 wrote:
SoCal_Cabby wrote:it fires now, but only because the cold start valve is the only thing getting fuel...none of the other injectors are.....i replaced all 4 injectors and fuel lines, i think i need to tear the fuel distributor apart and clean in
Probably has "Varnished gas residue". You might try spraying the lines and the air plate with "Brake, or Carb" cleaner.
(not CIS smart) but I think that you have to lift the air plate with a magnet....

Hell I would spray carb cleaner in it and shake the Pea outta it then allow it to drain back out then re-attach without too much dissasembly first. If the car was running when ya parked it all those MANY Thousands of Minutes ago. It is most likely something lacquered up.

i tore it down as far as i could and cleaned the piss out of everyuthing last night, still nothing. i searched to vortex and everything they said pointed to the in tank pump, so today i pulled it and tested it, it works fine, and the main pump works fine. i am starting to think that maybe the in tank pump isnt getting power
the worst part is i have to have this thing on the road and smogged/registered by thursday, cause there is a huge GTG this sunday and the DMV in socal is closed fri/sat
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by sixsracing »

Have you testet for power at the in tank pump with key on cranking or running? I have seen these relays do this very thing. Main pump has power, in-tank does not. Also make sure you have ground on the brown wire at in tank pump connecter.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

Does it run if you jumper the relay? Could be the relay isn't getting a good tach signal, and is opening after a few seconds.

Have you pulled an injector and verified your suspicion that they're not getting fuel?
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

sixsracing wrote:Have you testet for power at the in tank pump with key on cranking or running? I have seen these relays do this very thing. Main pump has power, in-tank does not. Also make sure you have ground on the brown wire at in tank pump connecter.
yes i jumpered the relay and went to the trunk, i can hear it running while the access cover is off
gull wrote:Does it run if you jumper the relay? Could be the relay isn't getting a good tach signal, and is opening after a few seconds.

Have you pulled an injector and verified your suspicion that they're not getting fuel?
yeah i pulled two different injectors seperately and niether one had fuel, since it is CIS-E Motronicyou have to lift the plunger with a magnet with the injector out for it to pump fuel, and it still doesnt. its definitely a fuel supply problem. i tried starting it with the relay jumpered and it still does the same thing
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

In-tank pump is working with the relay jumped, is the main pump also working? They are separate feeds from the same relay, you would need to jump all three pins for both pumps to run.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

sixsracing wrote:In-tank pump is working with the relay jumped, is the main pump also working? They are separate feeds from the same relay, you would need to jump all three pins for both pumps to run.
it seemed both pumps were working with the relay jumped
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

Good pressure at the inlet on the fuel distributor? Have to assume so since it also feeds the C/S valve. I have seen the mechanical injectors seize after sitting awhile. Do you have another set to try?
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

If your pumps are working and your injectors are not firing you may just have a blocked fuel line. What I would do is work from the pump forward and break open the line ware you can and turn on the pumps and see if fuel reaches that point. Also on the in tank pump have you checked to see if the pump seperated from the sender. I just went through that with my Cabby. The line that sends fuel through the sending unit line came apart and that caused the external pump to quit.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

sixsracing wrote:Good pressure at the inlet on the fuel distributor? Have to assume so since it also feeds the C/S valve. I have seen the mechanical injectors seize after sitting awhile. Do you have another set to try?
im using a known good set from a running car
eric4321 wrote:If your pumps are working and your injectors are not firing you may just have a blocked fuel line. What I would do is work from the pump forward and break open the line ware you can and turn on the pumps and see if fuel reaches that point. Also on the in tank pump have you checked to see if the pump seperated from the sender. I just went through that with my Cabby. The line that sends fuel through the sending unit line came apart and that caused the external pump to quit.
im definitely getting fuel to the distributor and the lines from the distributor are new...maybe its time for a new distributor
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

Have you checked for fuel at the line/injector connection?
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

i figured out the problem, and i felt pretty stupid....lol
i forgot to hook up the two vacuum lines on the intake elbow...the jetta lives
SoCal_Cabby